PDA

View Full Version : Bullet definitions?

bruno
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Could someone that is an avid hunter and knowledgable in the different types of bullets available from varmit to big game post a table or list that
explains what you read on the end of the box of ammo? Including recommendations for the certain bullet. For example kkrsp,nosler,bonded,
soft point,partition,etc. or what ever else there is. I my self have hunted for over 25 years using 180 grain 30-06 but have not paid very much attention to the type of bullets. Maybe Marc could lock it so that the info could be there for every one from junior hunters to the seasoned.
I hope it does't sound to stupid.

Marc
05-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I used to be in the same boat until a couple of years ago. There is a lot of different types and makes of bullets for different applications. I learned by going to the manufactures website and reading on the types of bullets and what they were primarily designed for. Every company has different abbreviations so it's hard to generalize a type of bullet. If you've got any questions about bullet construction and its use fire a PM off to Firebird. He's my online resource when it comes to reloading and bullet questions :D

bochunk2000
05-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Could someone that is an avid hunter and knowledgable in the different types of bullets available from varmit to big game post a table or list that
explains what you read on the end of the box of ammo? Including recommendations for the certain bullet. For example kkrsp,nosler,bonded,
soft point,partition,etc. or what ever else there is. I my self have hunted for over 25 years using 180 grain 30-06 but have not paid very much attention to the type of bullets. Maybe Marc could lock it so that the info could be there for every one from junior hunters to the seasoned.
I hope it does't sound to stupid.

I will give it a shot...
kkrsp=never heard of it.
Nosler is a brand of bullets
Bonded means that the lead core and the Copper jacket are bonded togeter. I think different companies have theair own way of doing it. It helps with weight retention during impact and expansion.
Soft points are exactly what they say and mushroom quickly.
Partition bullets have a front section that mushrooms quckly and the rear section is partitioned off and does not mushroom. This allows for a big hole and for it to drive right through.
Ballistic tips I believe have a Nylon tip to them that on impact pushes back into the bullet assisting with the mushrooming.
Hollow points have an open hole in the tip to mushroom almost on impact.
Boat tail refers to the rear of the projectile. It is angled in. This aids in long range stability and accuracy.

This are what I think Not what I know. If I have said anything wrong sombody please correct me and please add to the list. I hope ths helps Bruno...Steve.

bsa30-06
05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
i just read this article you might find some usefull info here.
www.chuckhawks.com/big_game_bullets.htm

bruno
05-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Thank you,
Very good reading.
Bruno

MRBucks
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
The KKRSP is not a bullet available anymore. You must have read somebody's comments on this old bullet. CIL/Dominion used to make them, and load them in thier factory ammo. It stood for Kling Kore Round Soft Point. They also made the KKPSP (pointed soft point). They were actually a very good bullet for the time. I still have 20-25 rounds of the 180gr, and 220gr for the 30-06.
If anybody wants a very good bullet chart emailed to them let me know. It shows photos of many of the popular bullets expansion rates, at the different velocitys. It also gives you an idea of which ones may break up, and which will stay togeather.This can be very helpful in choosing a bullet design that will properly expand, for the velocitys your loading for. You can also see what happens when a bullet is further downrange, and some of the speed scrubs off.
Some of the premium bullets actually are too solid for lower velocitys, (non-magnum, or long range shots) and will not expand properly.
This is an interesting read, if you haven't seen it before.http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Will
05-27-2006, 08:38 AM
NP = Nosler Partition !
All you need to know:p

bruno
05-28-2006, 01:41 PM
The KKRSP is not a bullet available anymore. You must have read somebody's comments on this old bullet. CIL/Dominion used to make them, and load them in thier factory ammo. It stood for Kling Kore Round Soft Point. They also made the KKPSP (pointed soft point). They were actually a very good bullet for the time. I still have 20-25 rounds of the 180gr, and 220gr for the 30-06.
If anybody wants a very good bullet chart emailed to them let me know. It shows photos of many of the popular bullets expansion rates, at the different velocitys. It also gives you an idea of which ones may break up, and which will stay togeather.This can be very helpful in choosing a bullet design that will properly expand, for the velocitys your loading for. You can also see what happens when a bullet is further downrange, and some of the speed scrubs off.
Some of the premium bullets actually are too solid for lower velocitys, (non-magnum, or long range shots) and will not expand properly.

This is an interesting read, if you haven't seen it before.http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

Mr.BUCKS,
Thanks for the info.
The reason why I mentioned the KKRSP was that I found a full box of
220 gr. 30-06 in my safe. They are Imperials the price tag on the box
is $15.80, they might be a little old.