PDA

View Full Version : A true newbie! Advice wanted

ncaufield
11-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi there!

This is my first post and boy am I excited!

I am a 35 year old male who grew up on the west side of Vancouver so you can imagine how much hunting I have done... Anyways, 2 years ago, I went with the wife to visit the in-laws who live on a lake outside of Sudbury. Her father is an avid moose and deer hunter, and he took me grouse hunting. Lets just say, I was hooked instantly! He was also impressed I bagged 6 birds in 6 shots on my first time out but now I am just bragging ;). I returned home and decided I would like to start hunting. I did my firearms courses last year and just got my CORE and hunter card.

My problem? What now? Hunting seems such a "father/uncle passing the experience down to the son" etc etc. My father is an investment banker..... I don't really know where to start. So far my plan is to purchase a good starter hunting rifle and then join a gun club. This way I can start practicing, getting use to the firearm, maybe meeting some people etc. Other than that, I'm not sure. I looked into the outfitters but they seem very pricey as I want to get out there a lot to just get the experience under my belt.

Any advice, tips, feedback would be great! I have a year old son and I hope to be able to share this with him someday.

Thanks in advance!

laredo318
11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard. You may try looking at some of the Fish & Game clubs, as a place to start. Lots of really nice people.

llloyd
11-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm in a similar boat, been at the range plenty so I can shoot with some confidence, watched a bunch of dvds on game cutting to try and get some background and read this board a ton but as far as getting out I've just been going with similarly inexperienced friends looking for anything that looks like deer country but so far not getting anywhere. I guess maybe i should just volunteer to be someones pack horse for a few hunts to see how its done :)

421fighter
11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
There are probably some folks on here that could help you out. But some indication of where you live would be beneficial. If I live in upper bugtussel and you are in lower slobovia, it may be tough to get together! I have helped others, some. Dave

Rodd
11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Learn about the prey you intend on pursuing, habits, preferred habitat, age classes, species distribution, favourite foods etc.... This will lead to knowing where you should be hunting for each particular species... I certainly don't envy you guys living the city, as your trips to the hunting grounds are probly rare, as opposed to a guy like myself who gets to see animals everyday to from work... Good on ya Ncaufield for taking up the sport, and passing it along to your young one!

Drillbit
11-09-2010, 12:59 PM
You've got the right attitude! Best way to start is to go out with someone who's done it before and try to learn a few tips. Should be someone here in your area who could take you out.

EURO*D
11-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I would be willing to take you out some time. shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

hunterlaura
11-13-2010, 02:08 PM
a .270 would be good for a first rifle - although, my first was a .300 win mag...go big or go home :) I guess it would be pretty hard to find a hunting buddy in Van, but I'm sure there are people just like you out there looking to get out! Good luck!

moosinaround
11-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome to HBC, and welcome to the addiction!! You started correctly, getting your CORE and PAL. Now you need something to harvest a critter with. A gun or a bow would be a good start. Then practice practice and practice. Once the weapon of your choice is like an extension of your body, think about going and finding some prey. Make sure you are able to handle whatever it is you decide to kill. Having a dead critter on the ground is not when you discover you need sharp knives and such. Getting the meat out of the wilderness is another concern as well. You can learn on your own, but it is nicer to learn from someone experienced. This being said, don't be a whiner, remember you have 2 ears and 1 mouth so listen more than you talk. Ask questions, and show enthusiasm, remember this person is showing you things, so learn and act genuinely interested. Remember that the work of hunting doesn't end when you get out of the truck, there is lots to do before and after a hunting expedition!! Good hunting partners are tough to find, but when you find them you will know. Good luck, have fun after all you will spend a very large portion of your expendable income pursuing this sport, so have fun and enjoy this awesome province of ours!! Moosin

Glenny
11-13-2010, 04:59 PM
You've got the right attitude! Best way to start is to go out with someone who's done it before and try to learn a few tips. Should be someone here in your area who could take you out.
This forum has a wealth of info and tips from all the hunners.. You can really learn a lot here. But nothen beats getting out there and humpen the hills. You picked the best past time going, Enjoy.

trapperdan2061
11-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Welcome everyone has different opinions on make, modle, caliber of rifle. Get one you are comfy with a 30-06 is a good all round gun and you may want to reload at some point.

As for hunting I am more than willing to take new guys out the deal is I live on the island.

bigben on this site made the trip over I took him out once all be it that we didn't get anything, he returned the next day to where I had showed him and got his first critter a nice buck.

So ask away you can PM me and I will assist as best I can.

Happy huntin

dog812
11-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I am in the same boat but a little different. I got into shooting guns years ago then decided this year to hunt. I have been on about 6 hunts this year but yet to bag anything. Came close last weekend but was a 3point in a 4 point region.
I also live in the city.. and dont know alot of hunters. I have one buddy into it, and got my gf into it. but that is it. They work alot and i get 3 day weekends every weekend.. So i am always wanting someone to head out with..
Send me a PM..

Deer Sausage
11-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Today is the first day of the rest of your life! You're gonna love it...just dont worry about how things will turn out...just wade right in and if youre enthusiastic and curious it will come together. I had hunting relatives but by the time i started they were all retired from hunting. I started from scratch...and got her going and then eventually going good...my method?..talk to anyone and everyone you meet that hunts and listen to what they have to say...read! get a reloading manual even if you dont reload...invaluable info on rifle cartridges/ballistics/bullets etc...get as many good books as you can digested...magazines help too!...read this forum!..post questions for answers you dont find...most importantly start right away and spend as much time in the field as you can. (in season and out)

You can get enough info from booklearning to make a good start..even from scratch... and then every year it just gets easier. You'll do great if you dig!

You just tapped the fun-well! Enjoy!:-D

ncaufield
04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased a Savage Arms III 7mm Mag yesterday from Reliable Gun. Man am I excited! Going to join the Port Coquitlam Gun Club and learn how to sight and start practicing.

CanuckShooter
04-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Buy a good knife, and water proof boots....then find someone that is willing to 'show you the ropes'....shooting a few grouse is a slightly different proposition than cracking a huge bull moose across a logging cut. ;-)

CANMXLR
04-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello ncaufield! I am also new to the sport even though I got my hunter # card over 20 years ago. Now that I can spare some time off I am thinking of adding hunting to my hobbies. I am currently a member of Port Coquitlam Hunting and Fishing Club (PCDHFC) and go shooting there on Fridays 2x a month (been shooting for the past 20+ years), and I also live in West Vancouver. We should get together to shoot at the club one time:-D. Enjoy your new rifle (I also shop at Reliable Gun).

cainer
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Welcome aboard. I was you about 5 years ago. No one to learn from also(in the fam that is)..but experience is king anyways. Best thing to do is to go out and scare away a bunch of animals...then figure out how not to. Here's a couple things off the top of my head- Keep the wind in your face, or at the very least blowing in some manner towards you. Move slowly enough that you don't break a sweat, and be at your spot before first light. _look into the trees at the fringe of a cut block, not just in the middle of a cutblock. ANd buy decent binos.

That should be enough to get you at least seeing the animals running away from you :) instead of just hearing them ;)
And it took me a couple years to shoot my first buck- so if i can do it-anyone can.

Mr. Dean
04-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Use HBC as your mentor, I did and DO.

Learn what type of habitat your quarry likes and simply GET OUT there and look for it.
Look for tracks/sign and be stealthy.
Expect nothing and you'll gain TONS!

Come back here and ask questions.
Repeat.

sparkes3
04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
well if you want to meet some guys that hunt/ fish/wheel/hike/geocache you could start by coming out to the cleanup at sylvester road in mission this weekend.
this will also show you some places that you can plink with your gun besides at the range which lots of people do just some leave their garbage behind so we have to step in to cleanup.

04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Your on the right track. Join a club, you will get familiar with your rifle ( whatever fits you and is priced right ). As well if you go to the meetings you will get to meet people. I am sure there will be people who will take you out. And finally dont be a stranger here. There are a number of members who got their start from HBC as well as once people get familiar with you they may invite you out. Dont forget the "Search" button in the top right of the site you can search threads with it using key words.

If you have any question you think is "Too stupid to post" remember forum rules, There is no stupid question. If you are still too embarased to ask PM Me and I will give you what i can.

Get a copy of the regulations and read it from start to finnish until you fully understand what is in them.

bubba350
04-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I was you about 6 years ago (a city dweller wanting to hunt) I dove in head first and imersed myself in the sport. I read read read!!!! HBC is awesome for learning. and get out in the field year round, watch animals, see how they interact. the better you know your prey the more succesful you will be. For me hunting season starts the day the previous one ends! Happy hunting

hunter1947
04-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Good luck with you new rifle and be safe have a happy hunting season.

fearnodeer
04-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Welcome aboard, being a self taught hunter myself i had done alot of reading and watching good old vhs tapes on the sport, i also watched a lot of nature shows which really helped with learning thier habits. When i first started i always put in for leh, if succesful it only improves your odds. I would put in for area's i've never been because i fiqured worst case i got to learn some new grounds ie honeymoon moose my wife got drawn for a bull at Burns lake so off we went and found one mind you that was 24 years ago. This year i am finnaly after an 8 year absence getting back into it. So take all the advise you can get, sort threw it take what you want from it and good luck. I wish this site was advailible 28 years ago when i started it would have saved me a lot of time. One last thing my favorite riffle is still my 7mm mag.