PDA

View Full Version : extra pounds past 28"

RoscoeP
11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Lets see if I can word this right. Suppose you shoot a traditional bow 62" long and it is 45 lbs @ 28" how much would you be pulling at 29.5" draw length?(approx) I went out to my local club this weekend and shot for the first time in over 20 years. Also first time ever traditional since a little kid.
My quest for a compound may be over. I really enjoyed the simple aspect of the recurve(and I don't mean accurracy) I was surprised at the zip on the carbon arrows and I was only shooting a 25 lb. bow. I had a pretty good line side to side but seemed to shoot high most of the time.
If I buy one I will probably be looking in the 45-50 lb range. I like the Checkmate bows also the Martin Hatfield T/D and also the Hoyt Gamegetter ll. Any info on any of the above appreciated. Cheers Ross

Awishanew
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I hope you have been warned. Shooting traditional is addictive. I think that for every inch over or under 28 in. you add 3 to 4 lbs. As for the bow you won't go wrong with the checkmate.

Bow Walker
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
If I recall correctly, for every inch past the 28" mark you will gain one or two pounds of pull. Others on here will be able to confirm or correct that when they post up. Especially J_T.

I hear you about the simplistic pleasure of shooting a trad bow. I got a longbow last year and have been really enjoying it - although I'm still a compound shooter.

islandboy
11-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I am thinking it depends on the bow. Mine is 50 @ 28; 60 @ 29 1/2 my draw.

houndogger
11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Your gonna have to put it on a scale to get your poundage. Every bow will be different. Welcome to the club!

Tuffcity
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
A poorly made bow will stack more and more as the draw length increases( upwards of 4-6 pounds per inch). A well made bow will usually increase about 2 # per inch.

RC

islandboy
11-10-2010, 06:31 AM
A poorly made bow will stack more and more as the draw length increases( upwards of 4-6 pounds per inch). A well made bow will usually increase about 2 # per inch.

RC

Really? I best pass this on to Checkmate.

M@B
11-10-2010, 02:55 PM
to stack 10 pounds in an inch and a half!! something is up with it's tiller!

As for the 45@28" if it's tillered to safely be drawn to 29 1/2" you'll be around 50(ish) give or take. It's pretty safe with glass bows to draw past it's tiller draw but with self bows, long bow ect...if it's not tillered to 30" dont draw it to 30. Good luck with the new bow, and welcome to the addiction.

islandboy
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
to stack 10 pounds in an inch and a half!! something is up with it's tiller!

It is a Checkmate 56" Attilla 50 @ 28, Shoots well, consistent and accurate. Well the bow is accurate :wink:, groupings are tight.

RoscoeP
11-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Well I tried a Chek-Mate bow today and bought it. It felt right from the first shot. It is a 62" Hunter T/D model,45 lbs. It checked out at about 48 lbs at my draw length. It also came with some exotic limbs at 60 lb. pull. I took it to the Courtenay archery range and shot a bunch of arrows.
I followed some of the sellers tips and shot much better than my first time out on Sun. with the 25 lb. club bow. I hope to go to a club turkey shoot this weekend if I can get some arrows this week. I have some questions on that but will start a new thread on that matter. I am really stoked about archery, havn't had this much fun in a while. Great folks at our club also. Cheers Ross