PDA

View Full Version : Revised Seasons region 8 ?

WoodOx
11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Revised mule deer seasons consistent
with the Kootenay and Thompson
Regions

Can anyone explain what they mean by this? I realize the season was shortened, however it doesnt match region 4 or 3?

Any insights, or am I missing a blatantly basic fact...

GoatGuy
11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Long story short there was an attempt to standardize mule deer seasons for the southern interior for quite a few reasons, mostly money.

It didn't actually work as there was push back from some managers so the start of 4 pt and any buck for Oct was aligned but the closing dates were left to the regions (better said, regional managers).

There was also push back from local outfitters and some residents, particularly in Region 4 where there are some who don't support an any buck season.

That brings us to today.

WoodOx
11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I see. There is alignment in the beginning, not ending of season.

Thnx.

hunter1993ap
11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
it would be interesting if they did revise the season for 4 points only. i would be in favor of this. it would be more like the six point season for elk except for mule deer.

GoatGuy
11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
What do you believe a 4 pts regulation for the entire season would accomplish?

What do you believe the 6 pt season has done for elk? Or hunters..

hunter1993ap
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
What do you believe a 4 pts regulation for the entire season would accomplish?

What do you believe the 6 pt season has done for elk? Or hunters..
A four point season for the entire season would hopefully increase the numbers of mature deer because it would alow all of the 2 and 3 year old deer to grow up. I am no expert on this but it only makes sense. also i have heard that if only 6 point elk are taken the numbers will always be healthy. the four point season also would probably cut the number of hunters because some people have a hard time getting a small deer let alone a four point. i thought it might be a good idea but mabey there is already enough deer and if only four points were taken there would be an over population of deer. just some thoughts!!

bearslayer01
11-09-2010, 09:33 PM
u have to think like the government less hunter equals less money in tags travel and everythign else. There are a lot of people that alwayse say they never even seen a 4 point buck and the get fustrated and quit and this year they have been braught back its sparking some more interest and more money spent turnign the huntign economy. Nothing they do makes sence to everyone after all it is the government enough said...

hunter1993ap
11-09-2010, 09:42 PM
u have to think like the government less hunter equals less money in tags travel and everythign else. There are a lot of people that alwayse say they never even seen a 4 point buck and the get fustrated and quit and this year they have been braught back its sparking some more interest and more money spent turnign the huntign economy. Nothing they do makes sence to everyone after all it is the government enough said...
ya thats too true. things need change though, be more about the environment and less about money.

boxhitch
11-09-2010, 10:40 PM
A four point season for the entire season would hopefully increase the numbers of mature deer because it would alow all of the 2 and 3 year old deer to grow up. I am no expert on this but it only makes sense. also i have heard that if only 6 point elk are taken the numbers will always be healthy. the four point season also would probably cut the number of hunters because some people have a hard time getting a small deer let alone a four point. i thought it might be a good idea but mabey there is already enough deer and if only four points were taken there would be an over population of deer. just some thoughts!!LOTS of old threads on this topic.
Your thinking is canted towards a fictitious quality hunt. Its been proven over and over how a harvest of all age classes actually benefits hunters of all types.
Check out all the other threads on this subject, and you may get the gist of what is proper game management.

11-09-2010, 11:21 PM
a harvest of all age classes benefits hunters

And deer...