PDA

View Full Version : Frost on trail camera lens

moose2
11-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Does anyone have any tricks, or know of any products to help keep frost from forming on the lens of trail cams. I had to wipe the frost off mine yesterday and I had some blurry (foggy) pictures from the previous night. I was able to see eyes or body shapes but that was about it.
MIKE

Jagermeister
11-09-2010, 02:32 AM
You should be using a silica-gel pack inside the unit to eliminate interior moisture. If the frost is on the exterior, there are some products available to coat the lense. There was one that is used on ski-goggles that will work on the trail cam. Check you local ski shop.

hunter1947
11-09-2010, 03:42 AM
You might try to put a little shelf over your camera to stop ant moister from running down the front of the camera.

I have no probs with my trail cameras fogging up :confused:..

snareman1234
11-09-2010, 08:30 AM
One guy on here suggested that you could put a tupperware container upsidedown, over the top of the camera, like a little roof, which would keep all falling moisture off camera and lense and reduce fogging/ frosting

Elkaholic
11-09-2010, 08:31 AM
I too get foggy shots with my trail cameras and I think its due to the bear boxes I have them in. As the moisture builds up and fogs the outside lens. Silica packs would be interesting to try, I may have to give it a whirl.

Rodd
11-09-2010, 08:36 AM
I use those handwarmers for short term locations in cold weather mostly to keep the batteries warm, but also keeps the lense clear and dry.(worked well in Sask. -25) The shelf as mentioned above works well also..

BlacktailStalker
11-09-2010, 09:27 AM
When I used to make my trail cams I always had silica packs inside, rain-x on the lens and a little rubber 'visor' of some sort siliconed to the outside shaped over the top half of the lens circle to keep even more condensation/water off.

moose2
11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys I will try a couple this week
Mike

moose2
11-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Andy you didn't find that visor shadowed your pictures.
Mike

aggiehunter
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
A piece of bark on top helps..

BCHunterFSJ
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I attach a baseball cap on top of mine. Helps to some degree...

leadpillproductions
11-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Where would you get Silica packs ?

Sitkaspruce
11-09-2010, 10:51 PM
One guy on here suggested that you could put a tupperware container upsidedown, over the top of the camera, like a little roof, which would keep all falling moisture off camera and lense and reduce fogging/ frosting

Yup, this is what I did.

I took a glad container and place it between the camera and the tree and the other side hangs over the camera, shading it from snow and moisture. Simple, cheap and easy.

I have the silica packs for inside, but they do not stop the outside lens from frosting up. A cover of some sort works the best and I find the glad containers work well as they still allow natural light into the camera lens, but block out the bad stuff.

Cheers

SS