PDA

View Full Version : How important is aspect when hunting grouse

WoollyBullets
11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I have been able to get my first four grouse hunts in and so far I have struck out. I have found lots of great grouse habitat but to date I have only seen one which I was not able to get a shot at. My question is do grouse prefer a particular aspect such as south or west facing slopes or does it matter? I want to try and narrow down my hunt as the season is getting late. Thanks in advance.

JCVD
11-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I have been able to get my first four grouse hunts in and so far I have struck out. I have found lots of great grouse habitat but to date I have only seen one which I was not able to get a shot at. My question is do grouse prefer a particular aspect such as south or west facing slopes or does it matter? I want to try and narrow down my hunt as the season is getting late. Thanks in advance.

Look for semi used roads, lined with alder or coniferous trees the first 3 hours of light, then 11-2, then the last 2-3 hours of light.

Steeleco
11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Not sure about the island, but over here on the mainland the grouse population has been poor to non existent. You maybe in the right spot normally, but with a reduced population this year, it matters not how hard you try.

anglo-saxon
11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Depends where you are.

Up near Mackenzie they are all over the place. On the drive in to the hunting camp at Finger Lake on the first night, we shot six in 30 minutes. Next afternoon, same thing. Next day I shot five in about 20 mins and I was walking. We got sick of grouse very quickly that first week!

Tons of rabits, too. Wouldn't even bother shooting them after a while as they were all just so close. It wasn't sport.

KB90
11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't think grouse hunting needs to be that complicated. If it's a good year you will find them no problem. You can find grouse EVERYWHERE. I find they like coming out on to the roads when its sunny, but the best time is right at dusk.

Are you driving or walking?

As for grouse population here in Quesnel was an amazing year for grouse!!!! I'm not killing them anymore this year, I've killed and ate enough :D Literally seen hundreds, got our limit quite often.

We also were seeing many rabbits, stop shooting them too, besides they don't taste as good :).

Keep Hammering the roads and hopefully you get lucky! Good Luck.

WoollyBullets
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't think grouse hunting needs to be that complicated. If it's a good year you will find them no problem. You can find grouse EVERYWHERE. I find they like coming out on to the roads when its sunny, but the best time is right at dusk.

Are you driving or walking?

As for grouse population here in Quesnel was an amazing year for grouse!!!! I'm not killing them anymore this year, I've killed and ate enough :D Literally seen hundreds, got our limit quite often.

We also were seeing many rabbits, stop shooting them too, besides they don't taste as good :).

Keep Hammering the roads and hopefully you get lucky! Good Luck.

Both, driving and walking. When I find what I think is a good area I prefer to walk. Wow, sounds like a great year for grouse in the Northern Half of the province.

buck nash
11-08-2010, 11:34 PM
The majority of grouse that I've gotten have been about an hour or two on either side of noon. However I usually see them when i'm deer hunting so this could be due to the fact that I'm still hunting more during those hours and sitting more early morning and late afternoon.
Also see lots on the roads while driving from spot to spot. They need gravel for their gizzards so they often visit old roads.
They like to come out and enjoy the sun on nice days.
They don't go far when they flush and they usually return once the coast is clear. So it can be very produtive to return to a spot where you've seen one after an hour or so, or the next day at the same time of day. If I see one that I can't get a shot at,I mark the spot on my gps and return if i get a chance. Got a few that way.

Keep at it and You'll connect.

spreerider
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
most of my grouse on the island were at the start of the season and in the late afternoon, but since the weather has changed i have only gotten one and it was at first light on old alder covered road,
i did see a bunch last week but only had a 308 so didnt bother trying.