PDA

View Full Version : Too much gun = funny bear story

youngfellla
05-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Funny incident happened earlier this evening. My friend Jesse, who I hunt with quite a bit, shows up with his 'buddy' (who is a know-it-all, but knows nothing), Jesse was taking him bear hunting and wanted me to come along and video tape the hunt. So I grabbed a rifle and my video camera, within 30 minutes we spot a nice bear out in a block. So we put the stalk on and got up to about 200 yards, this guy is laying prone ready to shoot, and we're crouched behind him filming. Keep in mind he's shooting a 338 Ultra Mag, which is his first rifle.

Now I've got him and the bear all in the same shot, Jesse whispers 'take him'. Just as this guy pulls the trigger he gives the biggest, almighty Jesus flinch I've ever seen, and we see dirt fly about 100 yards from the bear.:-D So he jacks another round in and shoots again, and flinches even worse this time because apparently the scope bit him on the first shot, and we see dirt fly about 200 yards past the bear.:lol: By this time the bear is going full-out into the trees, and Jesse and I are trying our damndest not to laugh. The hunt was pretty much over by then.

The video is hilarious, it honestly looks like the guy is having a siezure while shooting he was flinching so bad.:p I told Jesse not to let this guy hunt again until he learns to shoot, with a rifle that won't beat him to death. We could have ended up with a wounded bear the way this guy was shooting, and that would not have been so funny.

I guess I should stick to my usual hunting partners, but I'll never forget that display of marksmanship:biggrin:

Brambles
05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Come on!!! you gotta post the video of that for us. I don't care how you do it but you gotta get er done:lol:

bochunk2000
05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
NEED to see the video. Its not fair to tease us like this...

3kills
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
no doubt i wanna see this video...

youngfellla
05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure of how to go about transfering it onto a cd or put it on the computer. If I had a digital camcorder, then yeah no problem.

I'll talk to a friend of mine who knows about that kind of stuff, and see what we can do.:grin:

3kills
05-25-2006, 10:18 PM
well hurry up chop chop

ruger#1
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
hey that sounds like my wifes step father, all mouth and no brains. he once told me he could shoot a hummingbird off of a powerline at five hundered yards with his winchester 32 special. his glasses were as thick as old coke bottle bottoms like in the seventies.

LeverActionJunkie
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
LOL.. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are! Damnedest thing eh? Some guys will pick up a gun mag, read about the latest "Deer Howitzer", then rush out and by one just 'cause. After three rounds they can't shoot it no more. Meanwhile cartridges like the .30-30, .30-06, .243, 7mm-08, etc. keep on rackin em up.

rollingrock
05-25-2006, 10:32 PM
hey that sounds like my wifes step father, all mouth and no brains. he once told me he could shoot a hummingbird off of a powerline at five hundered yards with his winchester 32 special. his glasses were as thick as old coke bottle bottoms like in the seventies.

You never know he might have done it once by chance.:shock:

gary mok
05-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey guys don't be so mean!!! give a newbie chance otherwise won't grow up but have to be practice more in the range before go to the woods,think of yourself, your partners and the animals.

Blacktail
05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I kinda got a similar story but it was an incident at the local gun range.

I go to the range this day with a few of my arsenal to shoot, and set up beside a sweet young thing with an awesome rack that is shooting a lever 3030 plinking away at 75 yards and her boyfriend is one more stall over shootin some sort of 30 cal and looking like he is god's gift of the sniper world.
I haul out the 338 and crack off a round that just about sets the sweety next to me in her old mans lap and prompted both to give me a " holy crap" look.:eek:
After the second round the guys politely asks me what #$&@ I was shooting.
I casually mentioned the caliber and the balistics info on the rounds I was touching off and invited him to give it a go.:twisted:
HE mentions that a buddy of his has a 338 and he has shot it befor with no problems and he has every confidence that it is a cake walk.
I mention to him that these are a little hotter than factory loads and to make sure that he should hold the gun tight and not let it jump back on him or he had the possibility of getting hurt.
He scoffed at then idea and touched one off.
Well it was a good thing I was standing there to catch the rifle as he dropped in my hands before he had to sit down.
He didn't take my advice and the scope caught him and bit hard.:icon_frow
After I patched him up I suggested he go to the hospital to get a few stitches to close up the crescent shaped hole that was in his forehead that had started to gush out red.

The moral here ??

Don't shooot more gun than you are ready to handle:shock:

todbartell
05-26-2006, 02:17 AM
prone & 338 Ultra are two things that shouldnt be used in the same sentence :shock:

Huli Huli
05-26-2006, 07:41 AM
We are waiting for the For Sale sign.:eek:

Also the Video!

Benthos
05-26-2006, 08:23 AM
funny. i just started hunting and shooting last year, so i bought a 30.06. Well, the first few times to the range, that was all the gun i would want to shoot. i wasn't used to the recoil, etc. and grouping wasn't that great.

well, after multiple times to the range, it is much easier now, i don't flinch, and group relatively well for an amature shooting factory ammo. since last year, i have also tried my friends 300win mag with no troubles at all, and can group that gun just as well as my 30.06.

however, i'm almost sure if i had started last year with the 300mag i would have developed a strong flinch, and probably disliked going to the range.

i can't even imagine starting my shooting/hunting career with a 338 ultra mag. the guy is crazy!

mark
05-26-2006, 08:26 AM
funny stuff, goes to show its all how ya hold a gun, ive taught 2 different girlfriends to shoot my .300 mag, with no probs or scope eye. my currant one has even shot a .375 h+h mag 300gr , Cant say she loves it, but can handle it! For the super flincher, take him to the range and load his gun for him. Tell him yer gonna load the odd empty shell and do it, when he flinches with a dud in the tube youll get a good laugh. its a good way to retrain a flicher!

mainland hunter
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Tell him yer gonna load the odd empty shell and do it, when he flinches with a dud in the tube youll get a good laugh. its a good way to retrain a flicher!
ive gotten a friend to do that for me, i shoot a 338 and didnt think i flinched at all but with the empty load i noticed i did slightly and thats enough to make bad shots long range. i worked on it and fixed the prblem

rrfred
05-26-2006, 08:43 AM
These stories make me :) Regrettably lots of magnum shooters do not know how to handle their stuff. I do not knock the magnums, the greater issue is shooting skills and the bigger the gun often means the bigger the mouth and the poorer the shooting skill. I know a few fellows who can really shoot their magnums well; and respect their abilities. They have it right - a magnum for a bit more reach and a little harder hitting at reasonable hunting ranges, and they practice a lot.
Last winter: A guy at the local club arrived with his 300 ultra and spouted his prowess, ballistics and his skill at taking deer at 600-700 plus yds yahh, blah... I was using my little 708- commented that I was not shooting well that day -my groups were almost 3inches at 200 yds. guy scoffs at me and my popgun; sets up lets fly at 100 yds, 2 shots about 3 inches apart barely on the paper, then some silence; i take a couple more shots, stand up and notice the guy is packing up, he said gun was fine ; then i noticed the nice red drip on his forehead; add another magnum eyebrow incident to the tally....

Elkhound
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
prone & 338 Ultra are two things that shouldnt be used in the same sentence :shock:

Thats exactly what I was thinking while reading the story. But I would love to see some video

steveo32
05-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Mattb and i have a buddy that is still new to hunting, he started about 3 years ago and his first rifle a .300 wim mag. He is just a little fella like 140# and he makes matt and i shoot his rifle first every year and that still does not stop him from getting scope eye the first time at the range every year .

mainland hunter
05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
that surprises me, 300 win mags really dont kick that hard, even the 338 isnt too bad it just starts to bug me after 30-40 rounds at the range

Kirby
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Mattb and i have a buddy that is still new to hunting, he started about 3 years ago and his first rifle a .300 wim mag. He is just a little fella like 140# and he makes matt and i shoot his rifle first every year and that still does not stop him from getting scope eye the first time at the range every year .

I still think he should go to .338, I might be willing to let him try mine out.:grin:

Kirby

greybark
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
:grin: The bigger and more powerful the gun the more your brain is aware of its massive energy and the recoil that is involved .
:roll: Just as you are starting to squeeze the trigger your brain goes into a "Don`t hurt me mode " and that is the start of the FLINCH .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Gateholio
05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Tell him yer gonna load the odd empty shell and do it, when he flinches with a dud in the tube youll get a good laugh. its a good way to retrain a flicher!

Even bette,r VIDEO it and play it over and over!:grin:

elkster
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I find my 338 as long as its tucked in tight doesn't really kick, it pushes. My 300wsm is really nice, limbsaver pad, and it feels like less than my 30-06, but I did scope myself with it, cause I rushed and didn't tuck it in. At least it was only a little bite, but my partner still laughed his bag off.

Mattimoose
05-16-2007, 09:24 PM
There are women who shoot .338 too, tell'em that.

Gamebuster
05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds like an entertaining flick!! Can't wait to see it!

The Hermit
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Come on guys can you honestly say you've never been bit? I have and more than once, with my .308; 30.06, and my 300 mag. I've since learned to mount the scope properly!!

I taught Franko Manini to shoot a long while ago now and still laugh when I remember telling him, repeatedly, not to get so close to the scope... ha ha ha ha!! Next thing yours truly did the same thing! <red face>

Fisher-Dude
05-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Reminds me of a couple of buddies of mine on a goat hunt. Buddy #1 empties his 300 Weatherby, and the goat is down but flopping towards a dropoff, so he yells at buddy #2 to shoot it. So buddy #2 shoots his 300 WM from a prone position, and says "I got it in the head!"

Well buddy #1 says "Awww you arsehole, I was gonna mount that goat now you got it in the head!"

Buddy #2 says, "No you idiot, I got it in the head, from my scope!"

LOL!

Buddy #2 still has a nice scar over his eye...and buddy #1 had the taxidermist cast a new horn for the goat mount, as it flopped over the dropoff and lost a horn anyways! :lol:

hannibal
05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I was scoped once, people just gotta remmember to hold on but not too tight cause then the gun gets into a twist when you shoot. I shoot a 338 win mag on a regular basis, but its a Browning BAR, less kick than my old Lee-Endfield. Anyway, I WANT TO SEE VIDEO

Murder
05-17-2007, 01:16 PM
There are women who shoot .338 too, tell'em that.

Plus that little girl in Alaska that shoulders her .375 h&h.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10463

I also got whacked in the cheek bone with the 870 shooting winchester HP 1oz 2 3/4" slugs this past season. That woke me up. Only time I have flinched is after too much shootin when I'm gettin sore. LETS SEE THE VIDEO PLEASE!!:)