PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand near postill lk

nwalter
11-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I stumbled across someones great treestand overlooking a decent cutblock down a FSR in that area. If the person is on this site I just wanted to ask what they thought of that area as I just drove up there yesterday and today and all I have seen is grouse but a lot of deer sign and some looking quite recent.

this is my first year hunting and the only tag filled was a WT that my father in law got and i gutted and butchered so i would like to get my own mule or WT no matter to me

afors
11-08-2010, 07:32 PM
You will need to be more specific.

nwalter
11-08-2010, 07:35 PM
You will need to be more specific.
i didnt want to be too specific as i only saw one other guy up there and he was in that cutblock yesterday drives something like a rav4
it is on Bata though

butthead
11-08-2010, 07:42 PM
i never shot any deer out of that stand i swear

snareman1234
11-08-2010, 08:07 PM
thats mine, where did I leave it again?

hunter1947
11-09-2010, 04:02 AM
What I would do is go sit in this stand a few times and see what is there.

Get there an hour before shooting light get up into the stand and wait there for 3 hours ,then back there in the afternoon 3 hours before dark and yes you will see if anything is in this area good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Ruger4
11-09-2010, 07:23 AM
I'd build my own somewhere else :wink:

frenchbar
11-09-2010, 07:25 AM
just dont shit on it ....:mrgreen::lol::lol:

BiG Boar
11-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I dont think its cool to sit in someone eles tree stand. If I found you sitting in one I put up as I walked in at dark I would tell you to do your own work and build your own. Some guys would shoot you.

hunter1947
11-09-2010, 08:15 AM
You got to be a gentleman and if you are in someone else's tree stand when they come to it you just say if you built it I will leave have a nice day..

yamadirt 426
11-09-2010, 08:32 AM
If its on crown land then use it . Its for everyone to use like it or not. Anyone that walks up on you can say they built it. Thats the problem I have. If I build a stand and someone likes it and beats me to it then I'm SOL. Has to be portable type to be owned IMO. Or on private land.

hunter1947
11-09-2010, 09:34 AM
This is why I like having my own portable tree stand when I leave it comes with me ,when I go there it goes with me ,no probs with someone saying they built this tree stand and will you please leave so I can sit in it :wink:..

The Hermit
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Cut down the tree and end the argument! ;-)

Caveman
11-09-2010, 09:55 AM
You're question was what they thought of the area. I'd say they think it has promise because they took the time to build the tree stand. So hunt the area! Using the tree stand? Well depends on how comfortable you may be if the builder shows up to use and you are in it. Do you want to get into it or as others have said, build you're own or just simply hunt a ground blind or something.

BimmerBob
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
just dont shit on it ....:mrgreen::lol::lol:

Now this seems to be a voice of reason (or experience?) :mrgreen:

Nice avatar FB! You on the bandwagon? :wink:

Fisher-Dude
11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Too close to Rutland. Someone will steal your truck while you're sitting in the tree stand. :wink:

urbanhermit
11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Too close to Rutland. Someone will steal your truck while you're sitting in the tree stand. :wink:
Whats wrong with my Rutland????! if someone just didnt steal my keyboard i would write sometjing nasty about your hood!!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-09-2010, 01:19 PM

If you live on the Westside they don't steal it, they just shit in it!:twisted:

SSS

Fisher-Dude
11-09-2010, 01:22 PM
If you live on the Westside they don't steal it, they just shit in it!:twisted:

SSS

Ha! I'm sure I saw your old Furd at work - one of the newbie hires is driving it. I'm NOT looking in the canopy to be sure though! :?

bipcus
11-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I think I know the one you mean, and if you are willing to go to the trouble of building a tree stand on crown land than you have to realize that it will be fair game for all to use. Otherwise it is a form of vandalism and against the law. Private property is another story altogether.

If it is CROWN LAND than by all means use it as long as you are the first one there. I dont think that there are any rednecks out there that are STUPID enough to even think about shooting anyone and thus risk what little freedom us hunters have left and give the government just cause to physically takes our guns.

mijinkal
11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
don't even think about going into my kids tree fort!!
There's no animals anywhere nearby so go somewhere else!

Deer Sausage
11-11-2010, 03:08 AM
You got to be a gentleman and if you are in someone else's tree stand when they come to it you just say if you built it I will leave have a nice day..

Maybe it would cross your mind as you crawled up there in the dark that in five minutes the guy that found the spot and prepped the stand and location will show up and he'll be mad and youll feel like a goof? I would hate to be either of those guys!

J_T
11-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Yeah, a general rule is simply, if you didn't put up the stand, it isn't yours to use. If it's a store bought stand, you simply don't use someone elses. If it's a built on site permanent stand, it's a grey area. By building it, didn't it become a part of the land? Still, respect would suggest, you don't use someone elses stand.

I don't think that's the focus of the post though. But going in and sitting somewhere nearby and spending time in the area is always the best way to find out what is lurking.

KevinB
11-11-2010, 06:48 AM
We were moose hunting one year up by Quesnel, and hiked into a big swamp we'd seen on airphotos. We found a decent trail heading the right way so followed it, at the end of the trail we found a big permanent tree stand that had been built overlooking the swamp. The builder had left a polite note, saying that he was intending to use the stand every day of the regular moose season and he would appreciate it if others were considerate and not use it during that time. I thought that was a pretty smart thing for the builder to do. Hopefully it cut down on unhappy encounters.

We ended up shooting a bull in another swamp nearby.

fozzy
11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
I've come across many permanent tree stands over the years. We found two this year on crown land. We used one a few times and it nearly produced. My Wife was going to sit in it for the afternoon, we were about 20 feet from the stand and up jumps a 4x4 Mulie. I followed while my wife watched the clearing. He stopped skylined, no shot.

Crown land I say they are fair game. I plan on building a few this summer. They won't be near any roads so anyone that gets off their butt and beats me to 'em well done. :)

The ones I found this year were feet from a quad trail/old road.

.330 Dakota
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Just dont use it and there is no problem, put up your own and life is good. I like the portable climbers myself

slayer B
11-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't use it personally but if your going to, leave a note of thanks and maybe a mickey if some form of sturdy brew. If you cross paths with the owner you may not just get hunting tips but you may make a friend. I leave my stand out all season and unless there is something there to prove you are a good guy the rent is $100 bucks a day or possession of stolen property. Perhaps 3 years of tag soup has made me pissy but that's just how I feel.

nwalter
11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
never used it i just wanted to know about the area. i am a new hunter and dont know much about the areas around here

Fisher-Dude
11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
never used it i just wanted to know about the area. i am a new hunter and dont know much about the areas around here

Those deer near Rutland are weird. The bucks stab each other with their antlers, and the does mate with any buck that grunts "hello." Lots of single does with tattoos and a bunch of fawns following them around. The fawns have no idea who their fathers are.

It's a messed up place. Just ask Goat Guy, he lives there. :twisted:

GoatGuy
11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Those deer near Rutland are weird. The bucks stab each other with their antlers, and the does mate with any buck that grunts "hello." Lots of single does with tattoos and a bunch of fawns following them around. The fawns have no idea who their fathers are.

It's a messed up place. Just ask Goat Guy, he lives there. :twisted:

To think you spent an entire week in October, holidays and the whole bit, road hunting, looking for a doe or a fawn and you couldn't even find one.

Guess we'll call you the ladies man..........

igojuone
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Try sitting in a tree stand for a couple of hours and you'll never want to do it again. One of the most boring things to do.
That being said the forest is for all of us, get your own portable stand and but it up in the tree next to the one you found, start an hunter's association and make it a rule that only store bought Chinese stands are allowed and make him take it down.

BEARSLAYER
11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
look at the bottom of the stand and you may see the words Nicks treestand. if that is the one i am thinking of ,great spot,get up ,sit and enjoy.

nwalter
11-11-2010, 08:01 PM
haha Nicks treestand? you named it after me?

Fishhound
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
You know what Rutland kids get for Christmas?
a
a
a
a
a
answer
Vernon kids bicycles

Alpine85
11-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Its one of Hubbard's many stands in the area.

boxhitch
11-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Zing ! Does it have a tin roof ??

nwalter
11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
there is no roof on it just wood and felt

brewski
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Go sit in the stand or behind a tree Shoot a buck an relax this is what hunting is about

Lillypuff
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Try it for a morning if it is a good spot chop it down or everyone else will find it and hunt the area. Just kidding go ahead use the thing if the person who built it shows up leave. If he is a jack ass about it shit on it. Not funny sorry

Fishhound
11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
If this stand is on crown land it is public property and should be used on a first come first serve basis.
Leave it like you found or maybe even make some repairs or improvements if needed

blackbart
11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I am pretty sure that the guy that built it is not very happy with this thread. Nothing like wide spread advertisement of your "special" hunting locale.

Thread topic - Hey, are there any deer near POSTILL LAKE?

Out of town reader of thread - Perhaps I should check out that area, if someone built a stand it must be the new Clearwater.

Gateholio
11-13-2010, 12:25 AM
If you don't want others to use your treestand, don't build one on Crown land....

pete_k
11-13-2010, 02:41 AM

Yah. It's good up there. I got my wt buck this year a bit further back in that area.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Was sneaking through an overgrown cut 10 days ago ...and noticed a head bobbing along the upper edge of the cut. I watched for a little while and saw this guy scramble up a tree into his permanent treestand. I was only 100 yds away so I waved to the guy to get his attn and when he saw me he waved me over. He came back to his stand just to remove his seat so it wouldn't rot through the winter. Turns out he shot a buck the last time he was in there so he offered the treestand to me anytime I wanted to use it:).
After he left I thought I would go up and have a look around...well, this guy had a good 10 yrs on me and there was no way I could get up there as he has spaced out his screw-in pegs so far that I did not feel safe climbing up.

I continued slowly still hunting the rest of the evening and when I got back to my bike the gentleman had left his business card and a note to call him to let him know how I had made out.
Another good experience with a fellow hunter:).

For those of you who don't want other people to use their stands....I'd suggest using screw in pegs and remove the last several and either stash them or take them with you.

SSS

boxhitch
11-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Nothing like wide spread advertisement of your "special" hunting locale.
Yeah, now its going to cause a slaughter next year. No sense hunting near Postill lake it'll be a gong show.

boxhitch
11-13-2010, 07:22 AM
never used it i just wanted to know about the area. i am a new hunter and dont know much about the areas around herePostill lk area has deer for sure, maybe a wandering elk or two .
Is it better than any other area within an hour of the valley ? I doubt it.