PDA

View Full Version : First hunting day trip

Redneck
11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm going on my first mule deer/black bear hunting day trip on Thursday. I'm planning on going up to Harrison, only problem is my experienced buddy might not be able to make it, and I want to go either way. I'll be sighting in my new rifle, Interarms Mark X .308 in this Wednesday at a range. I've done my research for animal id and the hunting area. Is there anything a new hunter such as myself needs to do, know, or prepare for before my day trip? Will be leaving at the crack of dawn, and be out there as long as it takes.

rocksteady
11-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Be sure of your target before you drop the hammer......You can never get the bullet back once you press "go"

deezday
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
make sure you do some research and know how too field dress and care for you prized meat! and good luck!

The Hermit
11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Do a little reading on how to field dress your game, take two knives and a pack to carry out your prize, water, and two days snacks, matches and dry firestarter, make sure someone that likes you knows exactly where you plan to be, and when to expect to hear from you that you are back out safe and sound.

Take your time, walk slowly stopping every few steps, use your binos like they are attached to your face, carry shit tickets and bury your nasty deed!

Have a great time!!

sparkes3
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM
the only thing you need to know about harrison is get out of your truck and go hike up the hills. for a day trip would head up the coquihalla

twoSevenO
11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
unless your more experienced buddy can go, i really wouldn't waste my time in Harrison all by yourself. If you really are keen on going to Harrison by yourself, then make sure you drive really far in (50km+) then hit the hills. Don't waste your time unless you're prepared to drive really far in.

As said already, i'd rather hit up the Coquihalla for a day trip in that case. By the time you get to the start of the harrison logging roads and make your way across 50+km of gravel, you'd be past the toll booths if you stayed on the #1.

JCVD
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
An Olfa knife and a pack of blades are nice to have when dealing with a rutty buck.

steelhead
11-08-2010, 09:50 PM

Redneck
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Okay well it seems I should go up the Coquihalla. That's okay with me but how far to I go? I see three big FSRs; Sowaqua Creek FSR, Siwash Creek Road, and Dewdney FSR. Or should I be going further?

sparkes3
11-09-2010, 07:38 PM
go a little bit further grab a back roads mapbook mule deer closes in region 8 on wednesday so make sure you stay in region 2 for any buck or four point in region 3