PDA

View Full Version : Bear or not to bear

igojuone
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I've never hunted or eaten bear meat, I know a lot of you guys swear by it but I've just never had the opportunity to try it.

My landlord has an orchard in Kelowna and has a Black bear running around eating all the apples off the ground but he knows it's only a matter of time before he gets into his bees.

Do you think this bear would be good eating?

PS

Before any one voices their concerns, I can get permission and the proper insurance and RCMP clearance blah blah blah

mr7mm
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
tell you what i shot my first bear this spring the meat is to die for, we had bratwurst made and peparoni aswell we also kept a few hams i personally swear by bear meat in my opinion just as good as deer just take the time and just keep stripping the fat its a lot of work but worth it you can bet i will take another this spring if you decide to try it out good luck

wayne

shadow1982
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
YES... you are what you eat

emerson
11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
You can also boil, grind, mix with cooked rice, freeze and feed your dog free range organic protein in the cold winter months.

300H&H
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Go get him !!!
I love bear ham. It looks a little darker than "pig" ham. But just as good if the butcher smokes them correctly.
Bear pepperoni is the best !
I take my bears from a orchard also. It is within city limits, is more than 5 acres so I can use a slug in my 12 ga.
If you want me to video (if you have a camera) Id be happy to do it for you if the timing works for both of us.

300H&H
11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
PS

Before any one voices their concerns, I can get permission and the proper insurance and RCMP clearance blah blah blah

The only thing I could add is the orchard owner needs permission from the COs and has to have a permission #.
You need that # to be able to take it to the butcher and then you do not need a bear tag, or so I have been told.

coquitlam
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Love bear but I feel the #1 rule to getting great table meat is to look at what it is feeding on. If it is a low land bear near rivers ,chances are it is feeding on fish. Unless you want meat that tastes like fish don`t pull the trigger. I hunt alpine bears or far away from rivers and garbage dumps. Sounds good if feeding on apples.

give er

kbb
11-08-2010, 08:55 PM
apple feed bear, dosn't get any better. i would wait a little longer for a honey feed bear.

The Hermit
11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
apple feed bear, dosn't get any better. i would wait a little longer for a honey feed bear.

Ahahahahahaa

andrewheth
11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
All I know is I shot my first bear this spring in a very remote part of the monashees and it is delicious! I am not sure if I would take one that close to town as it probably doesn't just eat apples. I think the farther from humans you can find a bear the better.

high and to the right
11-08-2010, 11:54 PM
My first bear was a berry bear. The fall crop of blue berries was the best ever and the bear's meat tasted sweet. I have to say it was sickeningly sweet and didn't taste good to me. Another bear I got fed on fish and it tasted terrible. The rest were somewhere in the middle and they were all OK. Taste is a personal preference. I love moose but don't like the taste of deer. I leave all those monster trophy deer for others. The only way to see if you like bear is to try it. If you don't like it, let huntingbc know and someone will love to take the rest of your packaged meat off your hands.

cainer
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Dont really like Bear, so I don't hunt them...have a tag for the just in case situations. Wormy meat just doesn't turn my crank. I prefer herbivores on my dinner table.
In my old job I used to chase Bears outta town constantly-there was more than one or 2 I really wanted to cull-and make no mistake-I ain't no Bear lover.

JCVD
11-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Never had "wormy meat" of any kind before...not that I could ever see anyway...but to me an fat apple fed bear if legal, sounds like something I would drop in a heartbeat.

buck nash
11-09-2010, 01:22 AM
If you don't want him then I'd be happy to rid your friend of his unwanted pest.:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
11-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Dont really like Bear, so I don't hunt them...have a tag for the just in case situations. Wormy meat just doesn't turn my crank. I prefer herbivores on my dinner table.
In my old job I used to chase Bears outta town constantly-there was more than one or 2 I really wanted to cull-and make no mistake-I ain't no Bear lover.

FYI;
Worms and 'other' organisms can be transfered via fecal matter. Ungulates aren't exempt from an infestation as they can pick up and eat poo in their daily feed.

TDoyle
11-09-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm no expert, but my first big game kill was a bear, and a tasty one at that. I'd give'r.

buck nash
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
You can get the butcher to do up some hams, sausage kolbasa...pretty much whatever you can do with a pig. Lots of fat on them this time of year to make lard with. and as has already been stated, you can always grind him up for dog food.

$25 for a tag, thats all you got to loose really. Maybe your buddy will buy the tag seein as you're removing a pest from his orchard.:wink:

hunter1947
11-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Yes this bear would be a good eater ,better then one that would shoot out in the mountains.