PDA

View Full Version : Peace Country Adventure

BCrams
11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Off tomorrow for a week adventure in the Peace.

As most who know me, I've always focussed on mule deer. Not this time!!

This hunt is going to be a total focus on white-tailed bucks first and foremost. The only way I will go after a mule deer buck is if one comes into view while chasing white-tailed deer or after a white-tailed buck is down.

Packing up with tree stand, ground blind, rattling antlers, scents and calls!!

Hopefully my luck hasn't ran out on what has been a great hunting season so far!!

I have a simple goal and that is to enjoy the hunt and better my best white-tailed deer to date!! See what happens and what I see in the first couple days.

Stay tuned!!

Ruger4
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Good Luck !!

ThinAir
11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Good luck!

srupp
11-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Good luck Greg..straight shooting..no use wishing you a "good time" as you always do...be safe...

cheers
Steven

BlacktailStalker
11-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Good deal have fun.
Heading for mules myself on weds.

Buck
11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Looking forward to the results as i love whitetail hunting.

moose2
11-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Good luck Weather is nice up here right now although the fog stayed all day along the peace valley (taylor never saw the sun today) but up on top was clear and -3 this morning.
MIKE

boxhitch
11-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Good luck there G
Don't have to ask if you have a spot scoped out yet, thats a given
Crown land I hope

ratherbefishin
11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
where can you hunt up there?-I thought it was all pretty much private land

Sitkaspruce
11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Good luck Buddy!!!

Like you need it.......:wink:

Have fun, be safe and enjoy your time!!!

Going with your dad???

Cheers

SS

BCrams
11-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Most of it is private land. Will be hunting a mix of crown / private. Some hunting areas have been built on a good relationship with landowners going back to the 80's. Some places have come and gone over the years with changing ownerships, unethical hunters causing owners to shun everyone etc....

Good luck Buddy!!!

Going with your dad???

SS

I wished. He had knee replacement surgery at the end of September so he's out of commission until hopefully next fall. He hardly got out hunting this year at all.

GoatGuy
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Good luck, be sure to send pics for the rest of us who aren't hunting wt's in our favorite spots in the next few weeks!

There's plenty of hot does round this part of the world.

pitbell
11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Good luck. I'm looking forward to your hunt report!

lightmag
11-09-2010, 09:22 AM
You have had a great season so far, better than some peoples hunting career's, lol, stone sheep, bull elk, did you get your moose?

good luck!! hope you get a gagger!! we are leaving next thursday for 6 days!!

whitetailsheds
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
He hardly got out hunting this year at all.

Get him a toad! If you are around Dodge any, gimme a shout......

Stone Sheep Steve
11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
You will fail.:mrgreen:

SSS

bighornbob
11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Shoot a couple of does and package them up and put them on the Greyhound with a stop in Kamloops then on to Westbank.

BHB

calvin L
11-09-2010, 04:40 PM
don't forget about Kelowna with a doe

steepNdeep
11-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Good luck G!! Since I missed out on my trip, I expect a full report so that I can live vicariously through you... ;) should be better than hunting myself... :cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Gotta a text last night. Buck down on evening one...but BCR didn't do the shooting.

SSS

boxhitch
11-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Must have not been the right dink !

luckynuts
11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Should be a good day today, a little colder out today with temps warming up tomorrow so today should get them moving.

Good Luck

W.

jml11
11-10-2010, 09:54 PM

There is plenty of crown land with white-tailed deer abound up there...the muleys seem to stick to private land a bit more. With the ANY BUCK season for whiteys, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to find a whitey buck as long as you aren't picky.

Crown areas include any of the many FSRs and the Del Rio area. Also the community pastures are open to hunting at this time of year too (Groundbirch, sunset prairie etc). A few FSRs...Callazon, Johnson, Hasler, Crassier, Sukunka, Moberly, Medicine Woman, Falling Creek, Highhat, Farrell Creek just to name a few...whiteys ca be found along any of these, but the big boys tend to stick to the agricultural land, unless you have local knowledge from experience/scouting.

bighornbob
11-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Gotta a text last night. Buck down on evening one...but BCR didn't do the shooting.

SSS

I hope not too much damage to his truck? or did he take the Mini Van and wreck that:mrgreen:

birch
11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
howd you do out there BCR?

BCrams
11-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Actually we did really well! It was a trip of firsts for the other two hunters (father and 10 yr old son) with their first ever trip to the Peace, both shot their first white-tailed bucks (both 5x5's) and the boy also took his first mule deer. Saw one bonafide cranker in the 160's with a drop tine but alas, he was on the wrong side of the fence on adjoining land we didn't have permission to hunt and he didn't want to follow the 2 does he was chasing across the fence. Let me tell you, its something else to be holding the rifle ready at 30 yards on a big buck that wouldn't jump the fence. Wonder how many would have hammered him without thinking. 1/2 hour or so later and the boy hammers a nice whitey while set up on a scrape line at 30 yards.

The last morning, I did get a crack at a pretty nice buck and I was victim to a buck that got away after a shot that keeled him over. Long grass and thick bush and no snow made for the toughest tracking I have ever done and we lost the trail. Was on my hands and knees plenty trying to get the next speck. We put a big effort in and the last specks of blood (2 drops) we found were over 100 yards from the previously found spots and lost it in a grassy meadow interlaced bush thickets. Tracked over 500 meters (because it was darned near a whole quartersection of bush it went through). With snow on the ground and it likely would have been a no brainer to track him down. Its going to happen to everyone eventually. I wish it was a better ending. The landowners said they would keep an eye for birds etc as they have a view of the gentle sloping hill from their house in the distance and I've yet to get a call so that buck really went the distance. Wanted to tell the landowners because the last thing I wanted is a dead buck in a patch of timber visible to their house on the hill with ravens circling so we gave them a heads up. A running shot on the buck ... but who knows how good he was hit.

boxhitch
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
$+it happens
Tough luck but it sounds like the hunt was a success overall. attago

todbartell
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
sorry to hear that

birch
11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
sounds good to me! good work, esp with two new hunters...

160 w droptine is great

Sitkaspruce
11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a great trip Greg!!

Congrats to the two newbies with their first of many!!!

Sucks about what happened, but everyone will experience that once in their hunting career, it is something we have to be prepared for.

Deer are tough critters and some of us have seen how tough, so you just never know.

Any picts??

Cheers

SS

Rattler
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Tough break Greg. Sounds like a fun hunt regardless though....

Kody94
11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Bummer on the wound-loss Greg. If you hunt enough it's gonna happen eventually, but its still a bitter pill to swallow when it does. I had my first last year and it still gives me a sick feeling when I think about it.

Sounds like the trip was a good one otherwise though.

Cheers!

hunter1947
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Good luck BCrams I hope you nail a honker of a WT deer ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

steepNdeep
11-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Sounds like a great trip!

Like I said in the PM, it sounds like you did all that you could trackin', as I'd expect from you... sucks but it can happen. They are tough, so you never know... if he did go down, nothing goes to waste in the wild...

Yeah, I'd love to see some pics of the Peace!