PDA

View Full Version : My first Moose, wasnt what i expected, but he will do!!

twr
11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/twr33/DSCN1286.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/twr33/DSCN1280.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/twr33/DSCN1316.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/twr33/DSCN1282.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/twr33/DSCF1777.jpg

Long story short, my first Moose hunting trip was successful. got him on the sencond day of an 8 day moose hunt. only got the one. called him in, he walked out of the timber roughly 150 yards up the sismic line, shaking his head licking his lips grunting away, thinking he was gonna get lucky. got to within 75 yards of me and my hunting group 5 of us sitting there waiting. stopped and looked at us like we were an odd bunch of looking cows. popped him right in the chest with a .270 130 gr. nosler partition. he did a 180 dropped, got back up was facing us again just standing there so i hit him again right in the chest so he didnt take off. he did another 180 and dropped right there. we got him at 6 30 at night just starting to get dark, so we climbed over a log ?(ohya we shot him on the other side of the creek 8' wide) to get to him. gutted him propped him on his back with a stick to hold the rib cage open over night in the rain to cool. went back the next day built a bridge and the work began, This being my 3rd kills (deer, bear). was by far the most exciting feeling in the world. i dont know how i will top that rush!! ohya he measured at 49.5" rack. just a small guy.

markt308
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
nothing small about it buddy! thats a nice animal. great job

shantz
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Great Moose! Congrats

shadow1982
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
He will do? ... lol understatement of the year... good job

Bistchen
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Once you gain some more hunting experience and become a little bit more of a mature hunter you will probably stop using the words "he will do" and "hes just a small guy". Always be greatful for what you get.

NIce moose by the way.

d6dan
11-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Nice moose for your first one..Congrats and thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

lp270win
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
AWSOME first bull!! Congrats to you and your group for a successful hunt.

Ruger4
11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
ya your right , that'll do for a first

twr
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Once you gain some more hunting experience and become a little bit more of a mature hunter you will probably stop using the words "he will do" and "hes just a small guy". Always be greatful for what you get.

NIce moose by the way.

Sorry for the pun!! now i know why some people just dont post on here, and why it took me 3 months to do so. "he will do" and " he's just a small guy" are merely jokes. incase you didnt know! i have the up most respect for this animal. he has filled my freezer, as well as my aunt and uncle. the whole experience of this hunt, the way he came in , and how it all took place is something that is stamped in my mind for ever. I didnt mean to disrespect this animal in the way YOU think i did. gorgous animal and great meat. and the trophy well thats considered a bonus. the hunting gods were with me on this trip. and i am grateful for that. sorry if you think i'm an imature hunter. good luck to you!!

budismyhorse
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM

NIce moose by the way.

I'm sure that is sarcasm. Nice moose!

weatherby_man
11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Great bull, way to go!! Looks yummy!!

rifleman
11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
wow thats a huge bull, congrats. aprox. where were you hunting? LEH or GOS?

11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Gorgeous bull! Don't worry about the jerks on this forum, keep posting!

Caveman
11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I guess you were expecting a bigger one? Congrats on a great bull, enjoy!

bearhunter338-06
11-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Its bigger then any moose I've shot. good on you.

JCVD
11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Good job on Mr. Tiny =D

twr
11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
This was no LEH, just open season. 3 on the brow or a minimum of 10, uncluding brow. region 7B. that is all i will say haha :wink:

This being my first moose hunt my uncle made sure i knew what i was doin, By making me wait till a could identify it as a legal bull. and then he gave me the ok to shoot. all i can remember is him asking me " is it legal" " is it legal" " i think so it has 3 on one side" "and 4 on the other" " ok shoot" and the rest is history.

I'm very very fortunate to have gotten a bull this size. my aunty who has hunted her whole life was very jelous. but very happy for me. and we tried hard to get her hers.

M@B
11-08-2010, 01:26 PM
nice donkey! he's a brute!

wicket
11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
what moose all i saw was a girl in camo.....ooops should not have typed that ....yes agreed very nice moose congrats well done sir

mfarrally
11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Sorry for the pun!! now i know why some people just dont post on here, and why it took me 3 months to do so. "he will do" and " he's just a small guy" are merely jokes. incase you didnt know! i have the up most respect for this animal. he has filled my freezer, as well as my aunt and uncle. the whole experience of this hunt, the way he came in , and how it all took place is something that is stamped in my mind for ever. I didnt mean to disrespect this animal in the way YOU think i did. gorgous animal and great meat. and the trophy well thats considered a bonus. the hunting gods were with me on this trip. and i am grateful for that. sorry if you think i'm an imature hunter. good luck to you!!

lol ya don't worry about that. some people on this site feel like its their job to talk down to people and talk negatively about peoples adventures. It can ruin what is a great site for people to share their stories and adventures. People should be happy your willing to share a story and pictures with them. Great moose thanks for the story.

SUAFOYT
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Great job. Nice to see you take out the she who must be obeyed with you. Never stop! I've been hunting with my wife for years and she's by far the best partner I've ever had in spite of the odd disagreement. The other plus is she never snores:-D

j270wsm
11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Congrats,nice bull. I am surprised that no one has given you a hard time about shooting it with a 270. Did you get the bullets back? What did they weigh?

takla1
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I had to go out and look at the front of my barn,lets see,16 moose racks and only three with three point brow tines,and my biggest came from ft.nelson area and its 51 inchs wide.Id say you did pretty good for starters concidering it took me 25 yrs to collect what i have.Congrats!

Islandeer
11-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey right on!!
What a beauty,nice going. Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger,stay in the zone.

Shoot a 270 too,might want to shoot 150's on moose next time, and if possible cut your moose stem to stern and get it off the ground on something if you have to leave it overnight.

Bet the beer was extra good that night!! :wink:

6 K
11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
He'll do???????????????
Crap man alot of guys go along time before getting a crack at one that big.
Took me 17 seasons and fifteen kills to break 40'

Caveman
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
He'll do???????????????
Crap man alot of guys go along time before getting a crack at one that big.
Took me 17 seasons and fifteen kills to break 40'

40 feet, WOW!! I would have thought it would take more than 15 kills

hunter1947
11-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Not what you where looking for ???? :confused: that is a fantastic bull moose for your first one.

It would look great on your wall as a head mount ????.

twr
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
A head mount would have been awesome, just can't afford it right know. but the taxidermy told me no matter what later down the road you can always get it done. my uncle was the one who talked me out of the head mount saying, " well u might get a bigger one next year" :???: i dont know if i will ever top that guy! .270 130gr is what i was told to buy, and told to use. didnt recover the bullets as they were mixed in with the gut pile and we were working in the dark. wish i had though. now it's my gf's turn to get some hunting under her belt. she's been very supportive in watching me with all my kills, and while im taking pictures she's the one in there getting dirty!!! she's awesome!!

Thanks for all your guy's kind words, and tips!!! :mrgreen: coolest experience someone could ever have.

16ga
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
A head mount would have been awesome, just can't afford it right know. but the taxidermy told me no matter what later down the road you can always get it done. my uncle was the one who talked me out of the head mount saying, " well u might get a bigger one next year" :???: i dont know if i will ever top that guy! .270 130gr is what i was told to buy, and told to use. didnt recover the bullets as they were mixed in with the gut pile and we were working in the dark. wish i had though. now it's my gf's turn to get some hunting under her belt. she's been very supportive in watching me with all my kills, and while im taking pictures she's the one in there getting dirty!!! she's awesome!!

Thanks for all your guy's kind words, and tips!!! :mrgreen: coolest experience someone could ever have.

Congrats, it will look good as an antler mount, the whole head thing might be a bit much in most houses.
Don't worry about the 270, I use a 6.6x55, make sure of your shot and there is nothing you cann't put down.
Man am I jealous, reminds me of the old days.

huntersam
11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
nice moose for sure, congrats to you! and i like the orange tip on your .270, is it a toy ?
hopefully next year i can get my ole man to take me up there for a bull bigger than a spike fork, thats a beautiful animal!

twr
11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
nice moose for sure, congrats to you! and i like the orange tip on your .270, is it a toy ?
hopefully next year i can get my ole man to take me up there for a bull bigger than a spike fork, thats a beautiful animal!

No it's not a toy, it's tape so sticks, rocks, mud, ice, snow, dont get stuck in the end of your barrell and blows up in your face. not a toy, it does damage!!:twisted:

ydouask
11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey twr nice nice little bull, congratulations. Great story with the hunting partners and really good to see that you got him gutted and cooled out too. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, we enjoyed it... well, most of us anyway !