PDA

View Full Version : bears on the move

buckwild76
11-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Anybody know roughly what kind of territory black bears generally keep? Do they stick to a couple miles diameter? Are they nomadic just roaming about anywhere? Just curious because I spotted an absolute beast yesterday but was unbable to connect. Gonna go after him again later this week. Thanks for any info guys and gals.

Jagermeister
11-07-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't think that he will be too far away this close to hibernation time. He will have his den picked out, just waiting for the right time to hit the hay. If you don't nail him now, keep the area in mind for next spring.

BlacktailStalker
11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd try and put him to bed for spring!
Bears find a spot and stay put in different times of the year, dependant on food.
How do I know? Because I've struck and run the exact same bear many times in the exact same spot and whats even better, they almost ALWAYS run the exact same path/pattern :cool:
Right now, the veg in the open is gone so time in the slashes here is minimal, they're foraging in the timber now and for left over berries, digging and bustin' stumps.

buckwild76
11-07-2010, 09:15 PM
thanks for the tips guys, one other question. How different(if at all) is the meat this time of year compared to the spring? I got a real nice bear this spring on june 2 and he was delicious.

mcrae
11-08-2010, 06:52 AM
thanks for the tips guys, one other question. How different(if at all) is the meat this time of year compared to the spring? I got a real nice bear this spring on june 2 and he was delicious.

I prefer fall bears myself because I hunt them in the huckleberry patches. If they have been feeding on huckleberries all summer they are damn good eating. That being said spring bear meat is fine as well though...

ratherbefishin
11-08-2010, 06:59 AM
I've had both-can't tell much diference in the meat,except fall bears have a lot more fat on them[which I render down for cooking]I don't hunt near garbage dumps or salmon streams.

But according to the CO, a bear relocated even quite a distance away will often find its way back especially if its found a good food source