PDA

View Full Version : What would you do??

Gunner Staal
11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
So I pounded ground hard for the last three days. All in the same area, all hiking and sitting. Didnt see a pile of deer, a couple of small two points and maybe 5-10 does a day (not alot for this area). Today I decided to give it one more crack and brought my girlfriend along for the hike. After about 2 hours hoofing our way in I decide to break trail and hike along the edge of a very steep and narrow draw....almost what I would call a canyon. As were plodding along the wife yells "boy...a big boy" which in her terms means buck. I shot a quick look to the other side of the draw and up came a cranker of mulie buck. My view was all ass and antlers and he was moving fast. It was obvious with bare eyes that the rack was super wide but I couldn't get a side on view to count points. Binos up and waiting for even a quarter turn but this beast kept on chugging straight up the far side of the draw. At about 300 yards he turned just enough for me to see the distinct "second fork" which normally dictates at least four points. I couldn't absolutely confirm the fourth point even though I KNOW it was there. I dropped down on my belly and had the cross hairs on him at about 450 yards but he was still moving. I opted not to squeeze one off. I had a quick nap when I got home and im having nightmares already. I guess im pissed at myself on one front for not taking the shot when Im sure that sucker was a 4 point. On the other hand, I think better judgement has to take over if you dont have time to confirm that last point. On a side note. This buck was hangin with a white tail doe. At least thats what it looked like. They both busted out together and the doe followed behind the buck all the way up the other side. Whats your guys thoughts on pounding that same draw again for this guy. With the rut getting into swing is he likely to bed down there again or act more nomadic. Either way im going back. Have to. Even though my feet are begging me to stay home. It would be so much easier to go halves on a cow!

steelhead
11-07-2010, 05:34 PM

500grhollowpoint
11-07-2010, 05:35 PM
If you are not sure, don't shoot. You did the right thing. Go back and get another look at him.

Brambles
11-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Where was your spotting scope?

Gunner Staal
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Im my pack!!!! This whole thing took about 20 seconds to unfold. Once he busted out of the draw he didnt stop running till he was out of sight. Heartbreaker

Sleep Robber
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Good you didn't take the shot. The last thing you want to do is walk up and find the guy a point short. There will be other opportunities, you made the right decision IMO. I only pull the trigger if I can confidently confirm it is a legal animal. I love the hunting privilege's we have, why screw it up on a guess.

Hope you get another crack at him:wink:

Brambles
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Not enough time to prepare for a 450 yard shot IMO regardless if he was a 4 point, sure you can throw hope in the air but 20 seconds to find a good rest count points and make a good shot, thats pushing the limits of any man, woman or child. And if there is NO snow you can get yourself in big trouble tracking a wounded deer. Just put it in the memory banks, if your seeing that many deer a day then your doing well. The areas I hunt we normally only see a handfull of deer a season in there. Frustrating for sure but thats how it is, If I was seeing the odd buck and 5-10 does a day, I'd be exstatic

Farmer
11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
You made the right choice. It would really be awful to shoot a big buck and find out afterwards that he had odd antlers and was only a 3 by 3. Even if you saw 4 points for sure, a moving target at 450 yards is not a shot that I would even consider taking. But that may be just me. That distance is past my confident zone.

sapper
11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Okay, my advice is to not hunt with your girlfriend and wife at the same time! It just seems like the decision on whether or not to take the shot would be the least of your concerns given this scenario. :wink:

moose2
11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
You made the right call here are some muley sheds I found. They didn't go by the rules
Mikehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/deer_sheds.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17701&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=13763)

Sleep Robber
11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
My ol'lady used to call me "big boy" , now she just calls me.:???:

Jagermeister
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Okay, my advice is to not hunt with your girlfriend and wife at the same time! It just seems like the decision on whether or not to take the shot would be the least of your concerns given this scenario. :wink:
My thoughts too. What happens if they develop a thing for each other. Odd man out. That's you my friend.:mrgreen:

Lillypuff
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
It happens too us all and no need to take that shot or chance you know you did the right thing and the chances are good he will be in the draw again. Just my 2 bits

Ddog
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
you said you did not see the fourth points,,then you said you know they were there, but if you did not see them then you know they may not have been there, so the decision was a simple one, no shot.

Big Lew
11-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Siding with "Brambles" on this one. Even if you are a great shot, and you are comfortable taking long shots with your weapon, a hurried 450 yd. shot, (you don't mention using a range finder) by your quess, at a moving animal is asking for trouble. Very high risk of wounding, and it isn't easy trying to locate where an animal was standing by the time you make it down into the canyon and back up to the top of the other side. You did the sensible thing, congrats!

Gunner Staal
11-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Man you just made meel feel sooooo much better. Im not even going to ask where you found those. I just assume they came from the guy I saw today LOL!

You made the right call here are some muley sheds I found. They didn't go by the rules
Mikehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/deer_sheds.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17701&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=13763)

Gunner Staal
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
The old HBC crew doesn't miss much. HAHAHAHA! Too bad they both think im a pussy for not shooting!

Husq
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
give him a day or two and head back there, chances are he'll be chasing a doe around.

illbuyourcatfish
11-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Same thing happened to me last year. We hiked all morning and were stunned in our tracks by two impressive bucks right next to the truck. They were almost out of sight before we remembered we were hunting. At least you got the rifle on him!