PDA

View Full Version : moose rut ?

Deerwhacker
05-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Being new to hunting im almost ready to apply for my first leh moose with my dad but first i need to know when the moose rut is on around the quesnell area? any help would be great .

moosecaller
05-25-2006, 06:37 PM
From about the third week in Sept. until the end of the second week in Oct. some action ie: coming to the call on either side of these dates but this is probably the most productive time. Personally I find from Oct 1rst to the 15th or so the best. This is the Prince George area I am guessing Quesnel would be similar.

Deerwhacker
05-25-2006, 06:50 PM
thanks alot ill be sending in my leh shortly

Schmaus
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Our group always goes out the last two weeks of September and we always have good luck with calling. I know this starts a lot of controversy but I am a strong believer that the rut is in its fullest the last week or so of september and then is going downhill by october and totally over by (I know a lot of people will tell me that they have had moose call now) calf season. I have tried calling in calf season with almost no luck. When I throw out the same type of grunts a couple of weeks earlier in the same spots I almost always get action. Anyway thats my opinion and I have hammered a moose almost every year since I was eleven.

Schmaus
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh sorry we go about 45 minutes north of Prince George.

oldtimer
05-25-2006, 07:58 PM
deerwhacker. It doesn't matter what all these people say. I live and hunt in Quesnel and I am sorry to say there are NO MOOSE in and around Quesnel so any info on the rut is immaterial. go north into region 7 where there are tons of moose. MIKE

Mauser98
05-25-2006, 08:02 PM
deerwhacker. It doesn't matter what all these people say. I live and hunt in Quesnel and I am sorry to say there are NO MOOSE in and around Quesnel so any info on the rut is immaterial. go north into region 7 where there are tons of moose. MIKE

There's no moose in 7B either. It would be best if you went to Region 3 for a nice Shiras.

bochunk2000
05-25-2006, 09:22 PM
You guys are mean.:grin:

Fred
05-25-2006, 09:35 PM
There's no moose in 7B either. It would be best if you went to Region 3 for a nice Shiras.

Be nice Paul or we will tell him where your camp is located! :biggrin: By the way, Ex and company(minus myself) will be up there for any bull season in August. Fred

3kills
05-25-2006, 09:39 PM

nope he is wrong and so is mike they are all in region 5 and 7 and i would say if u are applying for the regoin 5-13 draw go for the later oct draw....:-D

PGKris
05-25-2006, 10:39 PM
September 25 thru about the 10th of october depending on, mainly, weather. There is a second short rut right around the 23rd of october that lasts about 3-4 days.
Kris

boonerbuck
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Often over looked is the second rut beginning of Nov. The bulls are fired up again and come out into the open for a look when you call. I often see 3 bulls tending a hot cow first week of November.I may be shooting myself in the foot but I put in for this draw locally when I don't do my northern hunt because the draw odds are less than half of what the primary rut draws are and the Muleys are in rut at the same time. Makes for good success on a multi species hunt.

boonerbuck
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
There is a second short rut right around the 23rd of october that lasts about 3-4 days.

Depending on how many cows have not been bred, this secondary rut can go much longer. I've been rattling mulies second week of Nov and have had a cow and a big bull come in. The bull was smashing trees and grunting away. He eventually fell through the ice on a small lake and had a hell of a time smashing his way to shore. I then saw him with another bull and a cow 2 days later. This was region 3 that this happened. Most of my secondary rut action has been in region 5.

willyqbc
05-26-2006, 12:55 PM
In my humble opinion, having lived and hunted in the quesnel area for more than 20 years, if you want to call moose the pre-rut is the most effective time for that because the cows are not ready yet and the bulls respond to vocalizations which is why most people belive this to be the rut. so if you want to call look at last week of september and first week of october....if you want full blown rutting where the bulls are drunkenly following the scent of a cow in heat all over the countryside then I would suggest the middle two weeks of october. I have seen the secondary rut happen anywhere from the middle of November to the end of the archery season here in December.

Of course I can say this with a certainty because there is only one bull in region 5 and I know where he lives so i have been able to study him....you probably won't be able to find him so i would suggest trying region 3, all our moose heard the weather was nicer down there and left a couple years ago.:p

3kills
05-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Of course I can say this with a certainty because there is only one bull in region 5 and I know where he lives so i have been able to study him....you probably won't be able to find him so i would suggest trying region 3, all our moose heard the weather was nicer down there and left a couple years ago.:razz:

there u qtown boys go spouting lies again...if they arent here and they arent there maybe they went to region 8..cuz i is warmer there...

PGKris
05-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah right...forgot....no moose here....ticks got them all....just like the elk.....