PDA

View Full Version : tekan mechanical bloodtrail

westhoyt
11-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi there, I have shot 3 deer , all double lung pass throughs with the Tekans, there has been no bloodtrail on any of them, Each deer has only gone 30 to 40 yards , but I am worried , I had a hard time finding one of them in the thick stuff. All arrows were soaked in Frothy blood, and the blades were deployed every time, any input would be great. Thanks Jody
I have had crappy luck trying to tune my bow to fixed heads.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Bloodtrails are not literally trails of blood unless you catch the heart or an artery ...if arrows are soaked in frothey blood then you got lung .... you will have to rely on your knowledge of your prey a bit, Ie: a hurt deer will go lay down under some scrub or tight cover if not pushed .. chanches are there were some drops ... and you didnt see them as you know the deer was close

they only went 40 yards ... hardly enough time to bleed out as I am willing to bet that the body cavity was totally awash in blood ....

poke holes a little lower if you think you need a Blood trail for 30 -40 yards
lol.... ;)

Jagermeister
11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Frothy bloody suggests a lung shot. Blood from lung shots is hard to find because it is blown onto the bushes instead of bleeding on the trail.

Bow Walker
11-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Wait a bit before tracking. Go slow, starting from the point where your arrow hit the deer. Look close, take your time. You'll see the blood.

As BZM points out - 30 to 40 yards is not much time for lung-shot deer to leave a noticeable blood trail. And - you gotta be looking at the deer's chest height instead of on the ground. In fact, check both the ground and the bushes.

westhoyt
11-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Ya makes sence, deer is down and out before blood leaves body cavity.
Just a bit of fear sets in when I have trouble locateing deer after waiting half an hour to start tracking. Thanks

M@B
11-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Spend time finding that first drop. you'll usually get the first bit of blood on the trail quite a ways into the trail with a lung shot 15-20 yards plus sometimes. but find the first bit then really take your time from there. it's easy to walk right past it if you're in a hurry. Heart shots are another story, they're pretty messy and easy to follow!

BearStump
11-08-2010, 07:51 AM
shot a bear once and we looked for 20 min. for a blood trail. we saw a decent size puddle where the bear was standing but no trail. after 20 min we realized that the blood was sprayed everywhere, but it was 3 1/2 feet high on the bushes and NOT on the ground as we expected. the blood was pumping out the holes on both sides with force from the lungs and going straight out.
another day of lessons learned in the field.

ps. now that I posted this, the bear I'm talking about is the one in my avatar lol