PDA

View Full Version : should a person report this

little moose
11-07-2010, 10:29 AM
found hunter killed deer ,probably shot fri after noon antlers removed meat cut off hind legs.
whole front half and back straps left for coyotes.
made me sick to see that much waste only 15 min hike from truck.

The Dawg
11-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Yep....always worth reporting .

Glenny
11-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Coulda been one that got away from a hunter. Another person may have found it, cut off the horns for rattlers and thought maybe the meat in the haunches were still good. I've seen big bucks on the side of the road (Road kill) with the horns cut off.

little moose
11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
shot in lungs droped 10 ft from where it was shot ,no excuse im sure i was the first to stummble across this

trencher
11-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Report it I'd say.

BCBRAD
11-07-2010, 10:59 AM
what good would it do, could be an FN kill, could be the person wanted to share with the other varmints, could be a handi-cap hunter, if it makes you feel better rat the person out. what wood jesu.....i mean jelvis do?

Sleep Robber
11-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I see no harm in bringing it to their attention. It might not be the first one like this reported, you never know. I would make the call if it was me. My $0.02

Jagermeister
11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
It's a no brainer! Get dialing!

Steeleco
11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
We should be the second group you tell about it!!!

brad ferris
11-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Any chance the guy was still in the process of packing it out? No harm in bringing it to a c. o. 's attention if you can get ahold of one.

blacktail_junkie
11-07-2010, 12:12 PM
x137 make the call

Marc
11-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Doesn't the law state that all 4 quarters must be removed before the antlers or horns come out of the woods? The deer is 10 minutes from the road and there is no truck but the hind quarters and the rack is missing? I doubt they're coming back and I'd report it.

pg83
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Calling it in is the thing to do. Chances are no CO will come out and look at anything and chances are whoever did this has gotten away clean, but it is definately good for the MoE to know how much of what is going on throughout the province.

burger
11-07-2010, 12:37 PM
what good would it do, could be an FN kill, could be the person wanted to share with the other varmints, could be a handi-cap hunter, if it makes you feel better rat the person out. what wood jesu.....i mean jelvis do?

Crappy reply

Bow Walker
11-07-2010, 12:40 PM
X2 on the crappy (non-thought out) reply.

KodiakHntr
11-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Doesn't the law state that all 4 quarters must be removed before the antlers or horns come out of the woods?

Nope....But it should.

Antlers can come out first if you are so inclined, as long as all edible portions also come out of the woods.

Saw a buck on thursday night shot on the atv trail and the antlers were cut out and both fronts quarters were taken, but only one hind. No backstraps, no tenderloins.....

BCBRAD
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Crappy reply

a lot of bad stuff happens out in the bush as well as good stuff. the more you discuss bad stuff the more the evil eye will be cast upon us. the non-hunting public groups us all together, just read yesterday's citizen, a legal activity that was judged by the non-hunting public. so it might be an idea to keep a low profile thus lessening the scrutiny that is sure to come. i as most, do not condone activities such as described. remember the uninformed public can not differentiate between poachers and legal hunters.

to hurt us even more we could air lots of dirty laundry such as how many shots to make a kill, wounded game escaping, yada yada, but hey! it never happens to me/you we always make the perfect shot and the cleanest of kills.................we try to but it doesn't always work out, ask anyone who has hunted for 4 decades

BlackBear
11-07-2010, 01:17 PM
It should be reported. There is always a chance that someone was stopped at a game check or otherwise found without an entire animal. It may be useful evidence. Whatever the case may be, it is absolutely necessary to report it.

BCBRAD
11-07-2010, 01:20 PM
where is the rest of the animal.........gave it to a guy that helped me out, a bear took it, etc etc, false statements to be sure.

BlackBear
11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
a lot of bad stuff happens out in the bush as well as good stuff. the more you discuss bad stuff the more the evil eye will be cast upon us. the non-hunting public groups us all together, just read yesterday's citizen, a legal activity that was judged by the non-hunting public. so it might be an idea to keep a low profile thus lessening the scrutiny that is sure to come. i as most, do not condone activities such as described. remember the uninformed public can not differentiate between poachers and legal hunters.

to hurt us even more we could air lots of dirty laundry such as how many shots to make a kill, wounded game escaping, yada yada, but hey! it never happens to me/you we always make the perfect shot and the cleanest of kills.................we try to but it doesn't always work out, ask anyone who has hunted for 4 decades

I disagree. It is far better to have an open discussion and use the opportunity to provide education about hunting praxis. If hunters, as a whole, maintain a low profile, how will the public ever learn to differentiate between poachers and legal hunters? Furthermore, from my perspective, open discussion promotes transparency, honesty, and integrity. The aforementioned reasons are exactly the reasons we have associations and clubs that advocate for hunter rights as well as responsibilties.

Edit to add: As with any open discussion about a topic that is not favorable to the public, one must be mindful of the way hunters, as a whole, are protrayed to the public. And so, I wouldn't, necessarily, go out the way to discuss unfortunate hunting incidents (i.e., bad shot placements, lost animals...etc) in public. However, I would capitalize on opportunities, wherein, an unfortunate hunting incident has already been made public.

blacktail_junkie
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Taking more then 1 shot to make a kill and killing and leaving 1/2 an animal in the bush are 2 totaly different things. And yes youre right that things like this make the hunting community as a whole look bad in some peoples eyes, but maybe the reason there are so many problems like this is because of a lack of reporting.

I highly doubt that someone who only takes half of a deer per kill is staying within his bag limit as well. Without reporting how is anyone to know there is a problem. In my eyes its basicly stealing from every legal hunter in BC.

BCBRAD
11-07-2010, 01:38 PM
sounds very liberal, the public chooses not to differentiate, they have had eons to to that. why does the Citizen newspaper splatter all over the front page about the cruelty of a bowhunter killing a calf moose that was trapped by a chain link fence, the boys were fully legal in that activity, but are now tagged as cruel, this is while said public munches on chicken sandwiches and such. I understand where your coming from and if everything was up front and no agenda's at play i would say fine. EG: met an old guy getting a moose out of the bush , it was 9:30 am he was using a quad, said it was the first moose he could shoot at in 3 weeks in the bush, it was a yearling, questionable if the 3rd points were more than an inch...........I helped him load it in his truck and wished him a good day, what would y'all have done? by the way I didn't get a moose this year as i was not lucky in the lottery.

BCBRAD
11-07-2010, 01:43 PM
[quote=blacktail_junkie;782872]Taking more then 1 shot to make a kill and killing and leaving 1/2 an animal in the bush are 2 totaly different things.

they are but the scrutiny will be the same, it is a bit of a leap to say the person takes several half deer. remember that they can not or will not differentiate

BlackBear
11-07-2010, 02:08 PM
sounds very liberal, the public chooses not to differentiate, they have had eons to to that. why does the Citizen newspaper splatter all over the front page about the cruelty of a bowhunter killing a calf moose that was trapped by a chain link fence, the boys were fully legal in that activity, but are now tagged as cruel, this is while said public munches on chicken sandwiches and such. I understand where your coming from and if everything was up front and no agenda's at play i would say fine. EG: met an old guy getting a moose out of the bush , it was 9:30 am he was using a quad, said it was the first moose he could shoot at in 3 weeks in the bush, it was a yearling, questionable if the 3rd points were more than an inch...........I helped him load it in his truck and wished him a good day, what would y'all have done? by the way I didn't get a moose this year as i was not lucky in the lottery.

I have not read the article in the Citizen. However, I would argue that the majority of people, who do not hunt, do not have any connection to hunting praxis. In my personal experience, I can say with certainty that many average anti-hunters have no first hand knowledge of hunting. And so, the media is their only source of education about hunting. I would suspect that articles, like the one in the Citizen, are written to re-affirm the perspective of the average anti-hunter (i.e., misinformed and sensationalized). On many occasions, with an open informed discussion, many average anti-hunters change their perspective. In many ways, as hunters, we have to be 'better' than the non-hunters (i.e., patient, open to discussion, insightful, knowledgeable, and receptive). While the public may be quick to critize, it takes time to build understanding and respect.

BlackBear
11-07-2010, 02:15 PM

In response to your example, it is relatively easy to make decisions retrospectively. Unfortunately, in the bush, there is not often time to make a thorough consideration of all the facts. As such, it would be a difficult, in the moment, decision (i.e., to query the length of the points or not).

Edit to add: I certainly wouldn't pull out the tape measure to measure the length of the points. I'm not a CO.

BCBRAD
11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
don't want to appear harsh, but your right most have no first hand experience but that doesn't stop them from espousing an opinion. anyway I think you know where I'm coming from

BlackBear
11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
don't want to appear harsh, but your right most have no first hand experience but that doesn't stop them from espousing an opinion. anyway I think you know where I'm coming from

Agreed. :-D