PDA

View Full Version : Boundary Bay

Dolomite
11-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I have some quick questions about waterfowling in the boundary bay area. It seems to me (and its probably the same for most areas) that most of the hunting in that area is pass hunting. Atleast thats what i gather from talking to people in the area. I'm new to all this so this might seem a little redudant. Could it be that its just the time of the season and things have slowed down? It just seems like the waterfowl are moving just before dawn or right after dusk. I've spent a whole day there and seen flocks passing by during the day way up high and quite intent on getting somewhere. Is it possible to call those ducks in?

wos
11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I use to hunt boundary bay lots. I found it took large decoy spreads nasty weather and timing the tides to be successful. They will decoy very well if the combo is right. I had many great limit days out there.

dutchie
11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
there needs to be a bit of a wind coming from the southwest to push the birds onto shore.

Rain helps alot in a lite wind but if you have a brisk wind they will be flying low anyways.

Birds anywhere will decoy aslong as it looks real. I personally have never just done pass shooting on Boundary Bay but many people without deeks will. Spinners are not generally used out there because of the hike to get in and out, but with that being said when we use one it is a duck smash.

A little hint. The Birds will roost on the farmers feilds rather then the water and at day break (5-10 mins before legal shooting light) they will start flying heavy and hard.

they will be call shy aswell... especially to a "quack" style call. everyone has them, no one knows how to use them... it educated the birds so they know what is real or not!

Dutchie

Dolomite
11-07-2010, 11:55 AM
So I guess since I have a boat and a handful of decoys I'm better off going to the ladner marsh? I'm new to this and I haven't had the chance to try the Lander marsh as of yet. I guess its just easier for me to hit the evening hunt because I live so close, thats why I like heading out to Boundary Bay. And the bottom line is that you should be willing to put the time in if you want results, like with anything. I'm sure there are lots of factors that effect the amount of ducks hanging around an area, and I'm assuming that season is one of the biggest? Is it late in the season now to be expecting more ducks?
Thanks for the replies so far.

Ian F.
11-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Scouting, + decoys, + well hidden = dead ducks!

doesn't matter where, formula is universal!

Dolomite
11-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I was out tonight again and saw pretty much the same thing. I got a few shots off but wasn't able to down anything. A flock of geese flew right above me, but I was a little unsure of the range and what exactly they were. I saw them at the last minute and questioned what they actually were. I thought they were cormorants for a second, but then they honked. Oh well, next time. Again, i saw quite a few flocks going by, quite high and fast. They seemed intent on getting where they were going.

Ian, I read your articles and thanks so much for writing those, quite informative. You mention scouting as being quite a big part of things. The problem I find with most of the hunt-able land is that its on farm land, I could be wrong in saying that though. I guess I could talk to farmers, but I'm sure I'll be the 1 billionth person asking them for hunting permission on their land. For the past 2 nights the higher flying ducks seem to be heading east. But the geese tonight and the small ducks tonight and last night were flying west. What does that tell me? Ducks are all over the place and they're going all sorts of different places. Just gotta keep watching and scouting around I guess.

Ian F.
11-09-2010, 01:09 PM
http://partridgecreek.ca/PartridgeCreek/Gunnin%20pics_files/mewfour.jpg

http://partridgecreek.ca/PartridgeCreek/Gunnin%20pics_files/outside.jpg

http://partridgecreek.ca/PartridgeCreek/Gunnin%20pics_files/three.jpg

http://partridgecreek.ca/PartridgeCreek/Gunnin%20pics_files/5onlog.jpg

All of those pictures are of birds from B-Bay taken on Public ground. Tide plays a big roll on the bay with the birds moving and feeding based on it. Find some veg, look at the tide tables, hide in the veg when there is water and you'll be into the birds

Very best,

Ian

Dolomite
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Ian, thanks so much for the info. I’ll keep doing my scouting and homework and hopefully work things out. In one of those pics, it looks like you’ve got some sort of floating thingamagiggy boat device. I’m assuming that’s just for retrieval? I’ve got a canoe that I’m thinking of hiding with some DIY type camo, is it worth while to actually venture out in the canoe and try to sneak up on ducks resting in the bay? There really isn’t any cover really that I can see out there, its flat and WIDE open. Again, thanks for the info. and I’ll keep doing my scouting.

mklaver
11-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Ok, I am brand new at this, but the few times I have been out pass shooting is that there is WAY more action in those 30 mins before dawn than at dusk, for ducks that is. Not much movement at all at the end of the day. I have, however, had some success late in the day pass shooting geese - just as you say, all of a sudden they fly right over your head. Staying low on the seaside of the dyke seems to help.

So can somebody please explain what is meant by tides affecting things? What should I be looking for? High slack? Low slack? Big changes?

Thanks,

Michael

dutchie
11-10-2010, 12:40 AM
the tides will remove areas for the ducks and geese to sit. So at low tide boundery bay has a HUGE tide table.

You can generally walk about 250M out in the water without it going past your knees... I have chased a damn duck further!

When the tide is coming up it is removing the "soild": ground for the birds to sit on and it is going to push them up and into the air to look for a better spot.

Best time to hunt... I find... is the last 1/4 of the tide rising and into slack and from slack into the first 1/4 of lowering tide.

The tides just push the birds up into shootable areas and not giving them the option of just roosting 250M away from you.

Dutchie

kastles
11-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Ya Dutchies not kidding when he says he had to chase a duck far. We thought there was going to be an international incident with the local papers claiming "Madman Dressed in Camoflage Storms Across the Border Shooting Semi-Auto Weapon."
I found the boundary bay area is good int the morning hunt and then the last 15 minutes of shooting light.
Also try Brunswick Point on the other side of Ladner. It is a helluva hike but worth it. And for the same reason spinners and decoys work great.
Watch the tides. I found all types of tides work to hunt but there are a couple things to remember. The tides can almost jump up and trap or sink you so watch the tide tables and their heights. Long decoy lines to hunt from a low to a high tide.
Good luck

kastles

nano
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
As mentioned above lookout for the tide so that you DO NOT get caught out there. Not fun:(

Dolomite
11-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Ok, I hate to ask this, but I gotta ask. How do you rig your decoys if you don't have a boat and are just hunting from shore? Just one big rig line with the decoys tied at points along that main line?

kastles
11-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Individual lines for each deek. And I've got eight ounce weights to battle the ebbing water

Dolomite
11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
So what do you do with your deeks if you're hunting a flood tide like most people are saying I should hunt? I can understand if the tide is ebbing because you can just pick 'em up and throw them again. The only reason I really ask is because of the stories I've heard of people getting stuck. And knowing with my luck, I'll be the one out there in my waders stuck and yelling for help as I try to un-stuck myself. Plus, the flood tide comes in pretty quick so I can see that you'd probably have to reposition and set up your rig over and over again?

mklaver
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks Dutchie - makes sense. My first year and I am learning a lot....

Ian F.
11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
If you're worried/new/whatever take a stick with you, stick it in the water near your furthest deke, use some mark you can see that wont flare the birds the represents you comfort level wading. Water hits that height, move the dekes in! Simple..don't forget to move the stick...

You'll learn the tides, they aren't as scary as most are making them out to be. Having hunted the bay of fundy many times, now that is scary!

Ian

Dolomite
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Was out today in boundary bay at around noon. Right at high tide pretty much. If a guy was smart, he'd take the day off tomorrow and set up right close to the 104 exit on to the dyke. Set up a decent blind or get in to a rubber dingy with some decoys. There was BOATLOADS of ducks and a HUGE flock of snow geese just sitting there and haning out in the bay. They were all right up close to shore as well. Well not all, but a good handful. If you could get a boat out there with a good set-up and hide really well. You'd limit out really fast.