PDA

View Full Version : Where do the moose go?

lip_ripper00
11-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I got back a week ago from a trip in 5-14. To say the weather was ideal is an under statment, up to 20 degrees in the afternoon. Most of the spots we hunted where dryer than a popcorn fart. I hiked 5 km in to marshes that had no road axcess, and found no new sigh. Sat at the top of Alex Graham and called, looked for sign and nothing new. I know this area should hold a lot of moose but we had a hard time filling a bull tag. What could I have done different to be successful?

bearhunter338-06
11-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I find moose go every where I'm not

lip_ripper00
11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
agreed, we tried up high in the timber down in the marshes and still did'nt see any fresh sigh.

little moose
11-06-2010, 11:11 PM
after the rut bulls hole up in the thickest nastyest place they can find to recoupe . you cant call them out only way is to find fresh sign then hunt that area. if no sign keep moving till you find some

Weatherby300
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
We were farther north in 7-42 for the first two weeks of Oct and it was averaging around 10 with a few days around 19 C. Most of the movement was at daylight and dusk. We were seeing at least a moose a day and lots of deer. It sounds like you covered everywhere. The only question would be were you out there before daylight and til dark? If you covered that then I am at a loss for ideas and it sounds like a few of my trips in the past.

ravensfoot
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been to the top of Alex Graham too. Incredible views!! Is the fire lookout still there? We were in 5-04 and got lucky with a nice immature bull. Yes it was quite dry but we got lucky with a skiff of snow.

lip_ripper00
11-06-2010, 11:23 PM
We were farther north in 7-42 for the first two weeks of Oct and it was averaging around 10 with a few days around 19 C. Most of the movement was at daylight and dusk. We were seeing at least a moose a day and lots of deer. It sounds like you covered everywhere. The only question would be were you out there before daylight and til dark? If you covered that then I am at a loss for ideas and it sounds like a few of my trips in the past.

We where gone from camp at leat an hour before daylight and most days back well after dark

lip_ripper00
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I've been to the top of Alex Graham too. Incredible views!! Is the fire lookout still there? We were in 5-04 and got lucky with a nice immature bull. Yes it was quite dry but we got lucky with a skiff of snow.

Yes the fire look out is still their and still used, last Canadian Tire flyers where fron Sept 17th:mrgreen:

XPEIer
11-07-2010, 09:02 AM
we done the same hunt a few years back, ended up finding the bulls in the mature Fir and pine stands, no where near swamps or cutblocks.

Fraink
11-07-2010, 10:05 AM
We hunted 5-13 the first week of Oct., very good luck. We shot the 2 for our LEH and an immature in region 7 on out way to town. I always hunted last two weeks of Oct before but tried earlier this time, worked out nicely. We walked the swamps, called, and sat and watched. Ended up shooting all three from the road, go figure.

ufishifish2
11-07-2010, 10:07 AM
after the rut bulls hole up in the thickest nastyest place they can find to recoupe . you cant call them out only way is to find fresh sign then hunt that area. if no sign keep moving till you find some

X2. I completely agree!

muledeercrazy
11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
the warm weather doesnt really help things much. Where did you guys camp, I was up that way a few weeks ago.

lip_ripper00
11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
the warm weather doesnt really help things much. Where did you guys camp, I was up that way a few weeks ago.
We where at Raven Lake

Jagermeister
11-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Where do the moose go? Yuma Arizona.