PDA

View Full Version : Merritt area -WTF?

BEAHRDOG
11-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Been hunting for deer in area 3-12 for 2 days and haven't seen a single animal on 4 legs... Where is all the game?
My friend here has a doe tag for 3-12, so any tips as to some promising area?
Any help would be appreciated...

MuleyMadness
11-06-2010, 05:48 PM
It's too damn warm, and it's too damn bright out at night...pray for cold and pray for clouds. Also, you're gonna have to get off the roads, those areas are hit hard by hunters, even more so because of the WT doe season this year, and the critters is hidin.

Jeffb
11-06-2010, 06:34 PM
buddy shot a 4 point at 8am this mornin, was hangn with a doe . Was smellin pretty rutty too

thepitchedlink
11-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Same up here in 8-25, man I've hit 2 areas pretty hard in the last few dayas and havne't seen one animal...unless you count the Grizz..:mrgreen:
Hope it cools down here quick.

bc kid
11-06-2010, 07:04 PM
i wont tell you my area but there still pretty high up and in the thickits so three bucks and six does in to hours but nothing close to the rds good luck a if u pm me i might be more forth going

Muleycatcher
11-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Shot a 4 point mulie this morning. He was definately rutting, chasin a doe and antlers all cover in sap. They are rutting where I was in merritt.

saddlemaker
11-06-2010, 07:23 PM
saw 7 yesterday fairly high....3 miles from nearest road.( we were on horseback)...1 buck 6 does

don't give up:)

Gunner Staal
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
3-12 is good early early season then gets pounded due to moose, whitey and any buck season. Walk to the back of the cuts...not roadside and try the less travelled side roads. Its been like that up there for weeks now. Barely a squirell if you dont leave the mains.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-07-2010, 04:39 AM
IIRC doe draws run the month of November still??

If so tell him to go late and go low. Should be a cake walk by then.

SSS

Jagermeister
11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Been hunting for deer in area 3-12 for 2 days and haven't seen a single animal on 4 legs... Where is all the game?

I was speaking to a female member from the lower Nicola band about 3 weeks ago, who was eying up one of those monster candlepower lamps at Costco. She muttered something about it being good for ice fishing.
"Ice fishing," I said, "more likely to use it for hunting!"
She got a little indignant with me and informed me that her son had already shot 6 moose.
So, methinks that if you're hunting in proximity to that area, you may be SOL.
Maybe try the exteme east end of that MU, but then the FN from the Vernon area will likely be hunting that hard in the Brown Creek area. Establishing their A-rights.
Another alternative would be to PM Huntwriter and seek his advice.:wink:

Muleycatcher
11-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Was talking to a butcher when I dropped my merritt buck off yesterday and he said the deer have been getting slaughtered around merritt this year. But hey, I got lucky so who knows.

Steeleco
11-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I've spent 2 different days in 3-13 looking for the elusive mulie flat top.
I hunt the area lots and never have trouble finding does. Till I get an LEH.

Don't give, it's only the 7th!!!

Muleycatcher
11-07-2010, 02:09 PM
I've spent 2 different days in 3-13 looking for the elusive mulie flat top.
I hunt the area lots and never have trouble finding does. Till I get an LEH.

Don't give, it's only the 7th!!!

Same thing happened to me last year in 3-13. Took me almost the whole month of November to find a flat top. I saw three last week in 3-13 pm me if you want to know where.

MC

luckofthedraw
11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
also plan on going into 3-12 tomorrow morn. Recommendation is to wait until later in Nov??

mr7mm
11-07-2010, 06:37 PM
i think its called murfies law nov 1 i saw the biggest 3point i have ever layed eyes on what fired me up is he just stared me down my advise is park and walk slowly 3 steps and scan every inch with wind in your face good luck

basscanada
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM

I have also been hunting 3-12 hard for the past several weekends. Hiked all over the place but haven't seen a buck at all and the last buck we came across was a small guy 2 weekends ago when we found him bedded down mid-morning. We aren't giving up yet, will be there for the long weekend gong show on Thursday

3kills
11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
where bouts in 3-12 u hunting. i dont hunt the area much but i do know a few good spots and i know lots of guys that hunt the area and can see what they are seeing. as for 3-13 well i went out on the 1st with my bro inlaw for his doe and we seen a doe in the first 10 mins. no shot was taken as it was with a buck and we were lookin at the buck first and it took off before we could count pretty sure he was a 4 though

KevinB
11-07-2010, 10:01 PM
You should be hunting at 5:40 PM instead of surfing the net. Might see more live deer. :wink:

kodimack
11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Was up that way 3 weeks ago ,full moon ,warm temps and man the wind would not stop . We didn't see a thing for the 3 days we were there. hunted the bush ,backs of cutblocks .Some one got lucky and got a moose cought a glimps of the leftovers

behemoth
11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
That area gets POUNDED by the mainlanders. I've got a good area that holds moose, whities and mulies but Ive stopped going because the road hunting traffic is INSANE up there.

What should be a quick 20 minute drive turns into 2 hours once you hit a road "hunter" going 5km an hour and blocking anyone from passing.

The list of areas like this around here is getting bigger. just like the Helmer area...