PDA

View Full Version : BC Goverment wildlife auctions?

yukon john
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Its been mentioned that the poached ''Munson Buck'' should go for auction, and I once shot a yukon grizzly in self defence and I was told it would go for auction when I turned it in. So here is my question- where and when do these auctions take place? You hear about them but no one I know has ever attended one. Thanks
YJ

11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Its been mentioned that the poached ''Munson Buck'' should go for auction, and I once shot a yukon grizzly in self defence and I was told it would go for auction when I turned it in. So here is my question- where and when do these auctions take place? You hear about them but no one I know has ever attended one. Thanks
YJ

They used to hold these auctions annually, I was at one in Invermere once. I don't think they've held one for several years now. When they did, none of the good trophy heads were ever offered for sale, the Salmo ram, the Spences Bridge and Kamloops Lake rams, several deer that I know of, the Arrow bull elk, etc, were all mounted and put on display at various government offices in the province. The Munson Buck will likely never be in an auction just like the other many large trophy heads that were poached or picked up have never been offered at auction.

BiG Boar
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I heard there is one every year for road kill and found animals.

bighornbob
11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Recently the Wild Sheep Society had a large pickup Spences Bridge ram mounted (190+ B&C). The Ministry remains as the owner of the head but because the Wild Sheep Society paid for the mounting, the society stipulated that the head must be on public display and the society can use it at their convention, events etc. The head is currently hanging in the Wholesale Sports in kamloops.

I believe the society has also just recieved another large ram (180+ road kill from the Chasm herd) to have mounted. Once again the Ministry will remain as the owners of the head but it must hang in an area for the public to see. Not sure where it will hang.

I think its great that things like this are happening. I would hate to see these large heads in auction as they would end up in some private collection south of the border never to be seen again. These animals belong to the people of BC and should be on display for people to see, not in the back room of a MOE office or in some MLA's office in Victoria.

BHB

bighornbob
11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
YJ

I know a guy that shot a large bighorn and it ended up being a few millimeters short so it was confiscated. He went to the auction and bought it back (I believe he spent a few thousand on the cape and a few more thousand on the horns).

BHB

sawmill
11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
X 2,Some guy in Texas buys it and tells a great story?Naw,don`t like that at all.

silvertipp
11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I know a guy that shot a large bighorn and it ended up being a few millimeters short so it was confiscated. He went to the auction and bought it back (I believe he spent a few thousand on the cape and a few more thousand on the horns).

BHB
was he from 100 mile house

500grhollowpoint
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
What's the munson buck?

bighornbob
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM
was he from 100 mile house

Dont think so.

Krico
11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
There is an auction every year in Prince George. My neighbor always comes home with something interesting. I can't remember the timing though sorry. If it hasn't been posted yet I'll ask him next time I see him.

yukon john
11-05-2010, 05:20 PM
There is an auction every year in Prince George. My neighbor always comes home with something interesting. I can't remember the timing though sorry. If it hasn't been posted yet I'll ask him next time I see him.

thanks...........

jml11
11-05-2010, 09:51 PM

There was one this past winter here but I don't think there had been one for a few years prior? A trapping buddy went to buy an incidental cougar he caught the winter before but turns out it was not offered for auction...it was still unskinned in the MoE freezer...