PDA

View Full Version : Great times in 3-30

bigshooter
11-04-2010, 11:52 PM
The season started with a sucessful LEH for shared cow calf moose, so a group of four set off Friday of last week to see what we could find. A late ferry ride for me and my partner put our truck in Little Fort at 1:30 am so we decided to sleep in the truck on our logging road that we hunt. The other group of two made it to Barriere in time to get a hotel. With all the gear the seats would not fold down so it made for a hard nights sleep. Saturday morning we hunted for our mule deer but the closest that we could come was smelling him in the trees and seeing the marks on the ground where he had done the six leg waltz with a doe. We had a plan to meet the other two of our group at Eagen Lake where we had a cabin for the week. The people at Eagen Lake were great and the place makes for a perfect place to set up a hunting camp. Sunday was a scouting day that we used to try and find anything that moved from grouse to moose. The day ended with nothing in the truck to take home but we did see a cow moose with two calves fourteen mule deer four grouse and the other group saw a dry cow. Monday morning came day one of our LEH. We decided to try and find the dry cow. Both trucks parked and we grouped in twos my partner and I decied to take the longer walk and left the other two to hunt the spot that the cow was standing the night before. My partner and I walked for about 2 hours and were on our way back to the trucks when the radio started crackling. The other group had taken a calf and needed us to help find the cow. The story for the hunt is that they had returned from their hunt and unloaded just to find the cow and calfs tracks on the road by the truck, as they took off their gear and notice this one of them spots the moose in the trees not fifty feet away. With a mad rush to reload and get back set up the cow and calf had made it to about seventy yards. On shot a perfect three foot by three foot window in the trees left the calf laying where it once stood. The radios that we had, said that they were good for 25 miles, but we had noticed that they were crap once you put a hill in the way. We decided that each group would only take one moose if the radios failed. The next thing is the radio crackling and a truck flying up the logging road to pick me and my partner up. We rushed back and with all four in the group we walked slowly into the trees. Seventy yards in we found the calf so we left the shooter to deal with it. Three of us fanned out and started to make our way ferther into the trees. I decided to try calling so I made my best calf call that I could. I had walked to where the alders stoped and a row of fer had been planted. There she was. Fifty feet away. Up went the Sako a7 7mm.( BANG - FLOP ) I yell moose season 2010 is now over.
( Sako a7 7mm clip fails and jams gun Piece of s#!+ )
No need for a second anyways didn't even move.
I didn't notice that I had walked 600 yards down hill.
6 hours later we were loaded.
3 hours later both moose were skined and in a cooler.
30 minutes later we crack a beer.
Noon tuesday we are having a real hard time.
2pm group of 3 not me go hunting grouse.
6pm group of 3 pull up to camp with a immy 2 x 2
10pm moose is bagged and clean in back of the truck.
( If only it had run into the bush 9 day hunt became 4 day hunt and lots of work )
Wednesday we picked up and raced for the ferry.
8pm to 11pm 1/4 immy and hang cow calf for the night.
Thursday send to butcher.
Very nice looking meat and a great time.
Thank you to the other cabin for the help.

hillclimber
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
got any pics?

M.Dean
11-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a great trip! Congrats to all the lucky hunters!