PDA

View Full Version : atlin leh's

scuba
05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
do you need a boat to hunt that area for sheep, goat and caribou? how is the lake, would i need a river boat or would my 18.5' fiberglass be good enough?

todbartell
05-24-2006, 07:13 PM
my friend and his dad did a fly-in hunt up there a few Septembers ago, and hunted on foot.

they were successful on caribou and wolf, but I dont think they had much luck finding numbers of sheep or moose :?

boxhitch
05-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd have to look at the maps, too, but I think the goat draws are on the west side of Atlin Lake, am unsure of trail access. It is a big lake with typical big-lake waters. Running a boat on Surprise or Gladys Lake will get you to some country that you can't drive to, but ATV's may cover. Area is laced with horse trails.
Those low LEH odds are inticing, aren't they ??!! There is a reason.

tangozulu
05-24-2006, 08:03 PM
atlin has good moose hunting. LEH for goat with a boat is pretty good. The sheep have had the crap shot outta them. About every legal ram taken 1st year.
Some very good fly in areas but doubt you will find charter into Taku Safarie area.........good luck.

scuba
05-24-2006, 09:21 PM
i guess i should stick to my usual spots atleast goat and caribou are easily accessible, with the odd sheep spotted here and there. i just wanted to try somewhere new.

boxhitch
05-25-2006, 07:51 AM
. i just wanted to try somewhere new.
Hey, don't let these few posts turn you off. It is beautiful country, for sure, and hunters have some success. More research needed. It sounds like the sheep are a niusance on the main road in the winter, so it should not be hard to see if there is potential for legal sheep. Check out the G/O success, too. good Luck.

palmer
05-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Go A little further west and hunt just south of carcross. Tutshi lake is really good for Goat , sheep and moose. If you can get into moon lake the caribou are good too.