PDA

View Full Version : Crown vs. FN land

ZENYO
11-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Crown vs. FN land?

If you are hunting in an area close to an Indian band, how do you tell if it’s crown land or FN land? I’m staying at a family friends cabin in little shuswap and I was thinking of hunting the mountain behind the cabin. I’ve been quading up the road before but I’ve never seen any signs to say who the land belongs to…

Peters Wildlife
11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Should be in the regs.

skibum
11-04-2010, 09:50 AM
There are maps available that detail reserve lands, but I have called ignorance if there are no signs up and it is a ways away from any reserve settlements.

But really is it supposed to be treated as private land. I think it is in the regs somewhere

rocksteady
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Check a backroads map book, that will show the legal boundaries of a formal, identified "Indian Reserve"..

The grey area is where you step into the "traditional hunting grounds"...not real maps on that one....

ZENYO
11-04-2010, 10:38 AM
All right. thanks for the help. I've checked the maps on the regs and they don't include the part of 3-27 that i'm in other than near the road (but I will double check when I get there). I've had a look at a few different maps and I will check my back roads map when I get home. One of the locals (non-FN) said that it was Crown but who knows, especialy if it's not marked. I looked through iMaps also but It wasn't overly helpfull, still a cool tool though... http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?site=imapbc

rocksteady
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Go to the link on IMap , zoom into where you are roughly going to be, go to the toolbar on top, click layers, click administrative boundaries and check the Indian Reserves category....

It will show up for you...

ZENYO
11-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Nice! Thanks for that Rocksteady!

oldschoolguy
11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Instead of making a new topic, I'll ask a somewhat relevant question here. A few months back we took a few quads to the river by laidlaw. We went down the dike towards peters road, and were bombing around on the dry riverbed. Then this FN chief came and chased us away. She said that we were on their land. My question is, do they own the river as well, seeing as 10 out of the 12 months, the place where we were is covered with water?

MuleyMadness
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Internal navigable water ways (rivers) come under the jurisdiction of the federal government. No one can own them beyond the high water mark (not sure if it's the 100 or 200 year mark or what), anywhere below that they are public land, plain and simple. Now access CAN be owned, so it's possible you may have crossed a reserve to get there, but there is nothing they can do about you being on public land.

rocksteady
11-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Was the river by Laidlaw on the reserve or was it the boundary of the reserve??? If the reserve is on both sides of the river, I would class that as "theirs", as you have no way to access without crossing their reserve..

Unless you rode up (or down) the river on sandbars etc below the high water mark...

oldschoolguy
11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
We got off the dike before the fence that marked the edge of their land. They owned some islands farther downriver, but where we were was right by the main channel. Methinks she was just trying to be a biotch