PDA

View Full Version : ordering from wholesale sports

scuba
05-24-2006, 06:26 PM
just wondering if anybody orders hunting/fishing stuff online or through mail? does wholesale sports seem to have the best prices? i've heard of other places but don't remember the names.

Maxx
05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Order from Russel Sports, better service IMO,

MB_Boy
05-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Scuba......another to try is SIR Mailorder out of Winnipeg,

www.sirmailorder.ca (http://www.sirmailorder.ca)

and there is always Cabelas south of the border www.cabelas.com (http://www.cabelas.com) I have never ordered from them so I am not sure all the details with bringing up from the states, but that have a huge selection.

If you do a search of the forums there were some threads in the past of people having poor experiences with some outfits which you may want to have a look at prior to ordering.

rocksteady
05-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Also check Russells Sports out of Calgary and S.I.R. from Winnipeg.

Had dealings with all 3, prefer shopping in person, but had good success in mail order with all 3...

bcboy
05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
LeBarons I guess would be my 1st or 2nd pick..Russels !st

CanAm500
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
We ordered our Mossberg 835 12 gauge from wholesale, fast shipping, good service.

I am going to try Russells next from my 30-06, I dont mind paying an extra 5 cents:p .

todbartell
05-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Id only order from Wholesale Sports if Russell Sports didnt have what I wanted in stock

http://www.russellsports.com/

brotherjack
05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
I'd re-order from SIR (1st choice), LeBarons (2nd choice), or Wholesale (distant 3rd, but they've certainly never done anything to me bad enough to make me not order from them again). My only complaint with Wholesale, is that they don't (or at least haven't for me) ship the stuff the same day you order it. There's some kind of order processing thing they've got that takes a couple days.

I've never ordered from Russells - so I can't comment on them. Probably I will order some nick-nacks from them sometime soon, just so I know what they're like to deal with.

BlacktailStalker
05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Never knew about any of the others but Cabelas has always been good to me. I always mention I have to pay duty and ask 'if they can do a little better' and they usually give me 5-10% off if you ask nicely. I've ordered a summit climbing tree stand ($340 to my door, same one was $450+ everywhere I looked here), numerous accessories for it, leupold alumina flip back scope caps ($65 cdn each here, got em for under $100 to my door) and lots of other accessories.
These websites for the other companies look good too though

Hank Hunter
05-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I always used Russells but last time I tried to order powder they told me they would not ship it anymore

bochunk2000
05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
You can both Russels and Wholesale's catalogs in the mail for free. I just look at whaich one is cheaper. Though I normally buy from Russels. They have great service. Steve.

Duner
05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Russells is who I have used and they have helpful and I saved lots of money. I would rather support local stores but I am always on a tight buget.

Husky7mm
05-24-2006, 10:12 PM
I would rather suppot local stores but I hate to settle for somthing I dont want!

LeverActionJunkie
05-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I deal with Wholesale often, only complaint is that somethings are frequently out of stock, but otherwise they're good. I don't really see much difference in price between Wholesale, Russels, and SIR, I have a ll three catalougs, So I order from whoever has what I need.

Ian F.
05-25-2006, 02:46 AM
For Canadian outfits I'd rank Wholesale and Russells about the same and have found that Wholesale has more items in stock then Russells, but it's all about what you want and if they have it. SIR would follow, but I've never really been a fan of theirs mainly on selection and price. Having bought from all 3 stores in person and via the mail I'd say flip a 3 sided coin.

Now LeBarons is a whole different story! Yes they have the cheapest prices going, BUT they have the absolute worst customer service on the planet! I grew up with LeBaron and going to their stores in Toronto and the number of times we'd call to see if they had something in, be told yes and then go to get it and they never had it in the first place was simply mind blowing! When you order over the phone you do not know if you will get what you order as they have no way of telling you what they do or do not have in stock! I have ordered some stuff through them at the college (where I work now) and the people in "stores" have put them on the do not order list because they are so wonderful! Enough on them you get the point...

One thing you can do, that I have done lots in the past is get your local store to order in what you want. You'd be surprized what some will get and do for you and usually at a good price too!

I like to buy local when I can and will support customer service with my money, however when the price difference gets rediculous I buy from the U.S.. Even when the dollar was 50% it was still worthwhile after shipping, duty and all the rigamaroll to get stuff from the states! The trick is to never have anything sent UPS, they are evil! EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!

Cabelas is tops in my books and you can get the exact price (Cost, shipping and duty) in U.S. funds to your door, hard to beat that! Buying online you get emails when it ships with tracking #'s and the whole deal. Bass pro is the same. Macks Prarie Wings has some great stuff but aren't as smooth to deal with so I only buy from them if I can't get it somewhere else.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. check out www.sierratradingpost.com if you haven't, wicked deals on clothing! Search by brand name to save time

BCLongshot
05-25-2006, 05:33 AM
Wow. I've ordered lots from Wholesale and nothing but good service. 3 guns this year actually and 1 gun from leBarons because they were cheaper but I'm going to order a catalogue from Russells and SIR.

There's something about getting guns in the mail or special post. Tells me our country isn't totally gone to sh*@.

BCLongshot
05-25-2006, 05:40 AM
I do agree with Ian F. about trying to support the locals. The 1's here are doing pretty good so they don't seem to opened minded about price neg.

I certainly don't buy my tags at Canadian Tire !!! Like 1 guy told me !!!

I think I'd rather start knitting and watching American Idol if it comes to that. lol

Fred
05-25-2006, 09:26 AM
I think I'd rather start knitting and watching American Idol if it comes to that. lol

OOOO, A masochist!!! :biggrin: Probably shoots a Remington too!:eek: Fred

brotherjack
05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I've ordered from LeBarons, and they shipped me exactly what I ordered, and it was on my doorstep within 76 hours from the time I placed my order. ???

youngfellla
05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Id only order from Wholesale Sports if Russell Sports didnt have what I wanted in stock

Same for me. Wholesale has screwed up so many of my orders it's not funny.:roll:

Gateholio
05-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Rigth now, wiht the exchange rate being what it is, it's hard not to order stuff frrom the USA.

Ordering form the USA has it's own pitfalls, of course. No guns.gun related stuff or ammo or components withotu an export licence. Any of the companies liek Cabelas will tell you what they can and cannot ship.

Reloading Equipment is fine, copmponents are not ,some socpes are not allowed....

Clothing and binos/sptitng scopes etc are fine.

Because of NAFTA, there is no duty on US made products. Ziess and Meindal are not US made, BTW.:p

From the Canadian companies, I find Russels and Wholsesale are often out of stock on more irregular stuff like shell plates, strange dies, odd brass etc...

Boht have given me good and poor service.

bigwhiteys
05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
The trick is to never have anything sent UPS, they are evil! EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!

Ian, it's nice to hear somebody else say that. UPS charges "Private Brokerage" fees to bring items into Canada from the US. In most cases the private brokerage fees FAAAR exceed the actual duty you should be charged and sometimes you shouldn't even be charged at all based on the item.

UPS sucks bigtime and I will NEVER, EVER use them for anything.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
05-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Ian, it's nice to hear somebody else say that. UPS charges "Private Brokerage" fees to bring items into Canada from the US. In most cases the private brokerage fees FAAAR exceed the actual duty you should be charged and sometimes you shouldn't even be charged at all based on the item.

UPS sucks bigtime and I will NEVER, EVER use them for anything.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Agreed

Never ever use UPS or ANY courier for USA to Canada shipping!!

twoSevenO
05-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Cabela's is excellent! My dad has ordered lots of hunting clothing from them, boots etc. However, they are TOO strict (along with others from the US) on sending stuff to Canada ... they don't even ship scopes out i don't believe.

What harm a scope itself can do i have no clue, apparently quite a bit according to the yanks.

brotherjack
05-25-2006, 02:19 PM
The one and only time I had UPS ship me something to Canada - actually my business partner shipped me some computer parts via UPS - they lied to my business partner when he told them he wanted to pre-pay all fees and duties and told him it was all paid in full when he paid the initial charges (they charged him like $50), and then when it actually got to Canada, they charged me $129 for "brokerage fees" for stuff that was only worth $199 (and was stated as such on the package). That's $179 in shipping costs for a $199 item. Would have cost about $12 to ship USPS/CanadaPost.

Obviously, I have never, and will never use UPS again. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Ian F.
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
My top 3, why I hate UPS stories...

#3. I sent a decoy to a competition in California via regular mail, contacted the show reps ahead of time and they agreed to accept it and to return it via mail. Low and behold they send it UPS, declare it's value and in order for me to get my own decoy back I had to pay the UPS driver the fees (about 40% of declared value in Canadian funds) and then I get a bill from the show for the intial UPS charges! Contacted the guy who I made all the arrangements with and never even got so much as a sorry! Oh, and my decoy did horribly too...

#2. I traded decoys with a friend in Florida, he sends his up using UPS thinking he'd be doing me a favour and the UPS guy comes to the door and wants me to pay some exhorbanet fee to get my "gift". My bud on the other end over insured it to be safe and that's what's used for duty etc. So I refuse it, well inorder for my friend to get it back it takes days of callng and finally he had to pay like $150 in fees and penalties to get back the decoy he sent and at the end of the day they shipped it to me (after he paid $150) all covered off. I felt so guilty I sent him $100 worth of paints with some trumped up excuse as he wouldn't take my cash.

#1. The $100 hat!

I bought a shadow grass waxed cotton coat from McAllister (side note, I don't reccomend them if you are going to be in wet weather alot) and was so excited about it I thought I would make a made purchase and get the ball cap that goes with it, the cap was $20, WTH. When I ordered it the shipping from McAllisters was supposed to be $7, then chaged me $25, we are up to $45 for the hate now, and I tried and tried and tried to get it straightened out and every time they said they would they never followed through, even going so far as to say they'd refund it all. So the hat, of course, is sent UPS. The UPS guy want's somethign liek $20 or $25 to release it, so I pay (remember, I didn't know the shipping was screwed up till I open it) so now I have a $65-$70 hat. Of course this is when the exchange rate was 50%+ so that's what gets it up to about $100 canuck..

and now for the best part, I try the hat on and it doesn't even fit! So I have a $100 hat that doesn't fit to go with my new coat that after a year won't shed rain, but I'm still more pissed at the UPS guy then McAlister!

Oh the stories I can tell....

Very best,

Ian

bochunk2000
05-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I ordered from Russels on Tuesday. I got my package today. I inqured about fast shipping and the guy said it was about $20 instead of 12. I said that the 7-10 days would be quick enough for me. He charged me regular shipping and sent it Expidited anyway. I enjoy the service I get from Russels. Steve.

Bow Walker
05-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I have ordered stuff (archery) from - and in no particular order - Calgary Archery Center, National Archery Supply, Canadian Camo, Ye Olde Archery Supply (U.S.), Eagle Archery (U.S.), Mountain Archery (U.S.), and Lancaster Archery (U.S.)

I would order from all of them again - EXCEPT Canadian Camo!! Very, Very, VERY slow to process the order, ship the order, or to even acknowledge your order! I do not recommend them at all.

BCLongshot
05-28-2006, 05:22 PM
:grin: Hey here's a good example...

I've wanted to buy the Danner "Frontier Extreme" boots. $ 259.95 at Wholesale Outdoors.

Went down to Hub Sports our local good'ol boy outdoor store and they gave them to me for $ 269. Remember no shipping.:grin:

geno
05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Ive ordered from Wholesale befor, price's were good. got my brother a 20ga shotgun for Christmas from them. it got here in no time..
I'd buy from there again.

i6s1
05-28-2006, 10:25 PM
:grin: Hey here's a good example...

I've wanted to buy the Danner "Frontier Extreme" boots. $ 259.95 at Wholesale Outdoors.

Went down to Hub Sports our local good'ol boy outdoor store and they gave them to me for $ 269. Remember no shipping.:grin:

But you paid PST and GST at Hub, you would have saved the PST from Wholesale.

I like to support the local guys too, as long as the price is close. Better service if you have any problems, and face to face advice. I don't know if I'll buy another pair of boots without trying them on.

Last year, when I was buying my shotgun, it was 430+ shipping and GST at Wholesale and 575+both taxes at Hunters. I got it from Wholesale.

boonerbuck
05-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Wholesale is my very very very last choice after being screwed by them numerous times. I know they all make mistakes but how they handle their screw ups makes you want to go postal on their ass!!

Russell's is my first choice.

Boo
05-29-2006, 01:08 PM
One of the guys in the office just received an order from Wholesale 7 1/2 weeks after ordering. At the time of the order Wholesale claimed everything he wanted was in stock and would be shipped the next day.

Sniper
05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
I have ordered plenty from Wholesale sports but got frustrated with there slow service and numerous screw ups, ordered 200 primers recieved 2000, ordered 2 gun cases recieved 5 ect. ect.
I have found that shops like E&I sporting goods in Prince George are willing to match Wholesale sports prices and get you what you need a lot faster and more reliably. I have even ordered over the phone from E&I even though I live on Vancouver Island. I still order from Wholesale because they carry a much bigger sellection the small guys just can't match the sellection but the pricey items like my new 4.5-14 Leupold scope I'll try E&I first.

boonerbuck
05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
I can get rifles at Wholesale's prices right here in Lone Butte and I don't feel dirty and violated after.