PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hunt?

darrin6109
11-04-2010, 07:58 AM
seem to always get this question from non hunters and just wanted to hear your thoughts?

3kills
11-04-2010, 08:01 AM
meat in the freezer, and isnt it just the norm? when i meet a non hunter i ask them why dont u hunt? i just always assume everyone has an old 303 some where and that everyone hunts.

lorneparker1
11-04-2010, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcabnNjd1I

sawmill
11-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Because I don`t much like store bought beef.
And I`m addicted to the one shot bang flop.
3 for 3 this year.

lilhoss
11-04-2010, 08:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/freezer_pic_1.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18467&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=5919)
A lifestyle for sure.Fill the freezer.Yes,it is nice to get that "trophy" once and a while.

sawmill
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/freezer_pic_1.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18467&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=5919)
A lifestyle for sure.Fill the freezer.Yes,it is nice to get that "trophy" once and a while.

Now that`s what I`m talking about!
Makes you feel kinda rich ,don`t it.:mrgreen:

11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I hunt because I'm a hunter. For meat or "trophy", I love the thrill of the hunt.

dabat
11-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Filling the freezer, the thrill of it, spending time with friends around a campfire shooting the shit, spending time outdoors, seeing all the good and bad of mother nature, etc, etc, etc.

Mikey Rafiki
11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Primitive Instinct. Desire to get out of my cave and harvest from the land.

boxhitch
11-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Genetics, lifestyle choice, religion( I talk to Orion lots)

To quote - I hunt to have hunted.

Peters Wildlife
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Its in my blood......to many good things about hunting to list, it would be a long post.

Ddog
11-04-2010, 09:56 AM
"i Hunt Therefore I Am"

nwalter
11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
You know what your family is eatting. Do you think raised cattle have safe injection sites?
Being out amongst the elements is also a whole different feeling of accomplishment providing for you family. Somehow I dont get this feeling at the grocery store, maybe cause I am checking out the women in the grocery store.

Sleep Robber
11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I hunt for the thrill of course, but I also know that what I pay for my license, tag, bullet, and gas, can't buy me 500 plus lbs of meat at Safeway either. And it's way healthier than eating store bought meat too !!

Bow Walker
11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Read my sig line - it about covers it for me.

weatherby_man
11-04-2010, 10:09 AM
#1 for food because I also dislike store bought meat.

But the best thing about it for me is getting into the bush, hiking around the hills and clearing my mind of the day to day BS we deal with in life. Its just me and nature in the bush and it really recharges my "soul". I just wish I could do more of it.

3kills
11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~

newhunterette
11-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Non-Hunter:
How could you shoot such a beautiful animal, what makes someone like you want to kill things?

Me:
Have you ever held your child in your arms while they have stopped breathing because they went into anaphylatic shock eating beef from your local grocery store? Have you ever had to watch your child go through multitudes of testing to try and determine the cause, the ingredient, the reason this allergic reaction has happend? Until you have been through the horror of going through this, you may never understand why people hunt. For me it is a life choice for my family, there is something in the grain, antibiotics, feed that farm animals receive that my child is allergic to, I hunt to keep her alive. Venison is the greatest organic meat u can get and you are the only person to handle it. I don't hunt to kill, I hunt to harvest, I am a wildlife conservationalist and I only hunt what I will eat. She's my reason
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20Jazz%20Solo%20%20%20Feelin%20Good/GTFX6804.jpg
End of Story

Usually shuts them up very quickly.

takla1
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
decended from a long line of hunterholics,for me its tradition,it started in this country in the late 1700 hundreds when my great great great great grandad can over from France and landed in monteal.He homesteaded and the family slowly moved west ,always liveing in rural areas and always hunted for substanance.I carry on this tradition now with my sons and my mom and dad still hunted this yr again and thier 78 and 80 yrs young.I could go buy my meat at a supermarket but it just wouldnt be the same!

Gateholio
11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Non-Hunter:
How could you shoot such a beautiful animal, what makes someone like you want to kill things?

Me:
Have you ever held you child in your arms while they have stopped breathing because they went into anaphylatic shock eating beef from your local grocery store? Have you ever had to watch your child go through multitudes of testing to try and determine the cause, the ingredient, the reason this allergic reaction has happend? Until you have been through the horror of going through this, you may never understand why people hunt. For me it is a life choice for my family, there is something in the grain, antibiotics, feed that farm animals receive that my child is allergic to, I hunt to keep her alive. Venison is the greatest organic meat u can get and you are the only person to handle it. I don't hunt to kill, I hunt to harvest, I am a wildlife conservationalist and I only hunt what I will eat. End of story.

Usually shuts them up very quickly.

Ha Ha...that's a pretty good response. I bet it shuts them up fast.:-D

Me, I hunt because beer tastes so much better after hunting than any other time.:-D

dawn2dusk
11-04-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcabnNjd1I

The link above approaches my thoughts on the subject. The part about giving back more than you take sure made me think. I guess I give through my license/tag fees or one could donate to the ducks unlimited. I would be curious to know how others give back like volunteering at fish hatchery or habitat restoration or ?. I think this is a sign of a very mature person who has some really solid values and respect. "Anybody can put on a camo hat and blast some creatures and call themselves hunters." Takes alot more to live up to the statement that you give back more than you take.

It is a Deep question for me - hunting/fishing and gathering is soul food. My church is in the woods or out in the boat. It reminds me of how delicate the balance of life is, to respect all living things (even those nastey humans), to approach life from a meek and humble perspective as really our individual lives are pretty insignificant in the big picture of the world.

JCVD
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Meat mostly and alone time a close second lol.

Surrey Boy
11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
There is justified pride and satisfaction in eating and wearing what I went out to find, kill and process myself. I earned by working for it directly - like sewing your own clothes, fixing your own car, or planting your own garden. In the same way that prostitution is comparable to marital relations, microwaving a TV dinner is comparable to hunting.

Also, going out by myself into the mountains for a week builds character and strengthens mental fortitude, forcing me to be self-reliant and accept risk and hardship as part of life. It is self-evident that these lessons are lacking in society today.

Yotapup
11-04-2010, 03:47 PM
All of the above :P

Meat, thrill of the hunt and the great outdoors.

I'm not one to go out and protest, but I'm not one for farmed... well... anything. Everything that is done to mass produce meat and vegetables only degrades the nutritional value. The unfortunate part, is farming is necessary in order for the weak to survive.

I'll hunt for as long as I can, and eventually I'll grow my own greens.

rocksteady
11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
1) Excellent, free range (aka..no antibiotics/growth hormones/steroids/chemical) meat
2) The challenge of trying to outsmart a wild critter.
3) The comraderie/friendships that you build when you hunt with someone.
4) The pride I feeel that I am putting food on my family table...I am a provider :mrgreen:.
5) The scenic beuaty that a lot of others don't even notice as they just drive by the highways in their rat race life.
6) The in your face things you see, that most never see, unless its on the Discovery Channel/Animal Planet (animal behaviour).
7) The exercise and fresh air that comes with hunting.
8) Relaxation from the usual stressors (work etc) that usually just drift away when you are hunting.
9) The peace and tranquility of being able to sit and just observe. Also a great place to think through any issues/problems you are having, coming to a possible solution....
10) The challenge/concentration needed to make a clean, humane one shot kill, when the situation presents itslef (be it a bow or rifle)..

Other than those 10 reasons, I hate it...:wink:

Hunt'n Guide
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I like to be outside and enjoy the challenge involved in getting good quality animals for clients. Oh yeah can't forget I get paid to do it!:-D

browningboy
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I enjoy the outdoors but actually thinking of quitting hunting, doesn't turn the ol' crank that much anymore and the family doesn't eat the meat.
I enjoy it but really if no one eats it then whats the point? :(
May see a fire sale from me soon!

dabat
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
I enjoy the outdoors but actually thinking of quitting hunting, doesn't turn the ol' crank that much anymore and the family doesn't eat the meat.
I enjoy it but really if no one eats it then whats the point? :(
May see a fire sale from me soon!
Find different ways of preparing meat, such as jerky, pepperoni, etc. I was in your shoes and now the family can't get enough. If they are vegans ignore this post

Surrey Boy
11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Find different ways of preparing meat, such as jerky, pepperoni, etc. I was in your shoes and now the family can't get enough. If they are vegans ignore this post

If they are vegans get a divorce and don't ask for custody.

browningboy
11-04-2010, 05:27 PM

I do bud trust me, maybe the butchers just suck here.. They aren't vegans, they just buy steaks as they don't enjoy wild game etc... It's a funny situation.

BromBones
11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
I was gonna add my list but Rocksteady nailed it already.

M.Dean
11-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Why do I hunt? Why wouldn't I hunt! Most memories I have as a child involved guns. Every picnic or outing in the bush my Dad had a gun with him. I remember trying to shoot little sticks swinging on string with a 22. at about 6 or 7 years old. I still have that gun. We've eaten wild game all our lives, I can't remember a year gone by that I haven't brought home wild game. I hunt for the meat, but also for the feeling I get when I finally take a animal, I've spent days and days, weeks on end trying to find the right one, I've endured bugs, heat, rain, wind,snow, freezing cold pitting my brain against there's, hoping they make the fatal mistake, not me! When I raise my gun and know it's over for the animal, some times I don't fire, I've won and thats good enough! I get the same feeling from a successful hunt as some one would who loves a sport and wins a Gold Metal!!! There proud of there Trophy and I'm proud of mine!!!

Jelvis
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
One reporter for the out door magazine asked the famous rock climber/mountaineer, why in God's green earth do you climb those high elevation mountains in severe weather, winds, slippery, dangerous, life threatening vertical slopes, and keep doing this what has gotten into your mind sir climbing these giants? The rock climber said, because it's there.
Jel (I Hunt) because I can, you type cuz you have fingers to type with, if you had no fingers you couldn't type simple things like that ..

chilko
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Lots of reasons, but the short version is that hunting is the perfect outlet for three major personality traits. I love nature, be it good, bad or ugly, I'm very competitive and I'm not terribly social.
I can compete against a mountain or the weather or a smart buck or any number of other things to create a challenge without needing a whole entourage of other people to make it happen.

wolverine
11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I hunt for so many different reasons. My family loves the meat, as do I. I have been hunting since I was just a small kid, one thing or another. If not gophers or crows around the farm, coyotes in the fields it was ducks in the corn stubble. I hunt for the lifestyle and fellowship it brings me with not only my hunting buddies but also any other hunter I run into, whether in the bush or in the bar. I hunt because it's a good feeling knowing that if everything all went to hell in a hand cart one day that I would be able to provide food for my family. I don't know how to "not hunt". Whether I'm driving down the freeway towards Vancouver or one of our interior highways I'm always watching and looking for wild life and making mental notes about promising spots I might see. I love seeing Redtail Hawks hunting in the median of the freeway and knowing they're fellow hunters and much better at it than I'll ever be. I hunt because I am a conservationist and I believe that through intelligent hunting practices that we can ensure that there will continue to be wildlife for our children and great grandchildren to marvel over just as I have like my ancestors before me. I hunt for the shear pleasure of it, for the thrill of the hunt, the harvest of the meat and time spent with those I love in the great outdoors, where we were meant to be. I hunt because I'm alive. I hunt because I'm free....

Oh yeah, and then there's the friggin' guns.... I just LOVE the friggin' guns!!! I'm addicted to the " BANG/FLOP".:mrgreen::mrgreen:

BlackBear
11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
I hunt because I like to maintain a close connection to my food. I want to feel the responsibility and respect for the animals that I consume. In general, I do not eat any non-harvested animals. As such, when I am not successful in the hunting seasons, I don't eat a lot of meat (i.e., only fish harvested from local lakes). Of course, there are always exceptions (i.e., animals harvested by other people, locally raised lamb...etc). At the same time, we grow many of our own veggies and we purchase most of our other veggies from locally grown sources. Far too often in my daily life, I am disconnected from the natural world.

chinooker
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
I used to ride in the backseat of dads truck with my plastic rifle hunting as far back as I can remember. the year I got my .303 for christmas will be burned into my brain as the greatest christmas ever. Its in my blood and if I couldn't fish and hunt life would be meaningless.

Mountaintop
11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
As far as I can tell, I am the first person in my family that has ever hunted. I’ve always liked being in natural places but I grew up in a large city. As a kid the closest I ever got to knowing where my food came from was seeing a picture of a cow in the grocery store. At one point I realized if you are going to eat you should know where your food comes from. The more I learned about where our food came from the more I wanted no part of it. My wife and I aren’t farmers but we try to organically grow as much of our veggies as we can. We don’t grow much but are getting better at it. We now buy lamb and chickens and eggs from local farmers where we know how the animals are treated and what they eat.

A few years ago a guy I know asked if he could bow hunt on our little acreage and we agreed. Long story short, he shared what he harvested, taught me how to spot and stalk, how to field dress a deer and encouraged me to try it myself. This is my first season and I got my first buck a couple weeks back. There is no going back.

Deer Sausage
11-04-2010, 10:08 PM
because its the most thrilling thing that you've ever tried?..maybe even at its best up there with sex?

because going into freezer and grabbing steaks AGAIN without even thinking of the cost or the saturated fat is awesome?

because you can hand any friend a stick of deer pepperoni and theyll say "mmm ... that is good!"

because its good exercise. and theres really nothing more invigorating than cool weather mornings outside.

because deer are challenging animals to hunt and it will test a lot of different skillsets and physical abilities.

because archery and rifle shooting are challenging fun hobbies in their own right and taking them all the way to their natural conclusion brings the whole thing full circle.

because the kind of friend that it takes to make a truly great hunting partner is the very best kind of guy.

because you can do it with your children or your dad.

because its natural for people to hunt...archaeologists know early people were there because they find arrow heads and bones with scrape marks on them. people are predators just like your pointer or your border collie. its in us.

And maybe also because its not easy....but when you win, you win big!

sherpa-Al
11-05-2010, 12:18 AM
I can't say too much more than what has aleady been said other than when I'm out in the bush hunting is where I feel the most comfortable. To me there is nothing more pure than sitting deep in the woods on a frosty Autumn morning listening to the quiet of nature waiting for those first rays of light. I also seek the challenge of the hunt more than the kill itself. Don't get me wrong, a full freezer is important and rewarding but if I haven't harvested a moose or deer during the hunting season, I'm not dissapointed. If I've spent a good number of days in the field, hunted and hiked hard, seen a few animals, spent some time with my friends, then I'm good.

oh yah I should mention it's in my blood as well, I've got no choice, my parents spent their honeymoon hunting mulies in Savona many, many years ago and I was born next spring! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Glenny
11-05-2010, 12:32 AM
because the voices in my head tell me to.:twisted:

bushpig slayer
11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
i love to hunt end of story!the one thing i have learned while hunting for me is shooting an animal with a rifle is no fun anymore.i picked up archery 6 years ago and what a way to hunt to out smart an animal on it's own turf and knock it down with an arrow that i made now that is worth every animal i had to let go due to hunting with a bow.i feel the satisfaction of a kill 100 fold when it's done with an arrow,it's given me a new appreciation for hunting.absolutely love it again!people think i'm crazy to let go the animals i see with a bow somehow i tag out every year.

trapperRick
11-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I grow up hunting when I was young if we did not hunt we mite not have had meat to eat, its natural for me to hunt,fish, its what I do so do my kids, I know no other life style, I would not be me if I did not hunt.

kishman
11-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I enjoy being in the outdoors, and it's the "greenest" most organic meat available. In terms of "Carbon footprint" I don't think there's a greener way to obtain a years' supply of tasty, lean, good for you protien.

Leaseman
11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I do bud trust me, maybe the butchers just suck here.. They aren't vegans, they just buy steaks as they don't enjoy wild game etc... It's a funny situation.

So what you got to sell my Bernie.....:mrgreen:

JAFA
11-05-2010, 04:27 PM
The thing I like best about hunting is being in the bush naked. And the look on the other hunters faces when they find me sitting in the trees above them.

Jim.

browningboy
11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
So what you got to sell my Bernie.....:mrgreen:

Well I will keep a couple of guns but what do you need, got a pimped 338 win mag by Tom Norman ( His last custom from what I was told), brand new featherlight 243, shotgun, Yamaha Grizzly ATV, knives, calls etc...

When I order the Denali Duramax I do want the 35's or maybe a 4" lift with 37"?... Maybe we can deal?:wink: LOL It's only a year away but I will have to see Daves next week!:mrgreen:

darrin6109
11-05-2010, 08:48 PM
The thing I like best about hunting is being in the bush naked. And the look on the other hunters faces when they find me sitting in the trees above them.

Jim.

lol......................................

emerson
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
1)high quality organic meat
2)enjoy the challenge
3)outdoor exercise

Davey Crockett
11-05-2010, 10:00 PM
It's a compulsion. I can't help it.

Surrey Boy
01-22-2021, 03:54 PM
Learning to hunt for the reasons I first stated was educational and character-affirming.

Since becoming a husband, father, homeowner, I've had other priorities to the time and money required to hunt as avidly as I once did. I still kill animals in a legal fashion, and I hope it mitigates death anxiety in my children (something shamefully prevalent these days) but I fear my involvement and investment in hunting has peaked and shall only decline.

I urge all HBCers to remain armed, active, and harvest as much wild meat as possible. Maintain a non-government, non-affirmative-action presence in the wilderness as much as possible, to preserve and continue a great heritage.

Leveraction
01-31-2021, 08:34 PM
It’s about memories now for me, 2021 hunting season will be my 42nd season. Started hunting ducks with Dad, in 1979. Got my first rifle that year for my birthday, and still hunt with it for most applications.
it’s like a virus that there is no cure from, but that’s a good thing.
I just love being in the bush with rifle in hand.

jimzuk
01-31-2021, 08:53 PM
I also have been hunting for over 40 years. Yes lots of memories about hunting with my father but I just love getting out there. I certainly hope we will never loose these opportunities

tigrr
02-01-2021, 10:12 AM
No antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids or unknown chemicals in the wild meat or fish I harvest. Just a little mercury in the fish..

02-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Its all ive ever known. Grew up with hunting and fishing, camping and hiking. Some people watch hockey and play Golf.
My dad mate it his mission to teach me about the outside, Started with hunting.

Why I keep hunting will never be able to be told to a non hunter in one conversation. Like many people its not just for meat. ive grown up trying to answer that question to non hunters and anti hunters.... No one gets it.
"How could you love an animal and then kill it?" They will never know... because its a feeling. one you dont "Get" you earn it.

wideopenthrottle
02-01-2021, 10:41 AM
to stay connected to mother earth...

twoSevenO
02-01-2021, 10:58 AM
No antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids or unknown chemicals in the wild meat or fish I harvest. Just a little mercury in the fish..

Theres all of that in everything else you eat, lol. That hardly makes any difference? Am I the only one who think so? I might be wrong, but if you eat 1 organic thing and 70 other non-organic things, I dont think your body really cares.

Not to mention hunting for health reasons then eating bears with likely trichinosis is one of the most backwards points I hear hunters bring up.

MichelD
02-01-2021, 11:03 AM
DNA and conditioning I guess.

He hunted, his maternal uncles hunted (his dad was urban) and previous generations hunted, there is some indigenous heritage, etc.

From the first time I saw my dad bring a deer home at the age of two I thought "I want to do that."

jac
02-01-2021, 11:36 AM
I like the chase and getting out in the woods, it’s a life style. For me getting some meat in the freezer is a bonus but I don’t ever Pull the trigger just to fill the freezer. if it was just about filling the freezer i would buy meat from the store much cheaper per lbs. I love the thrill of the hunt and being out in nature.

Norwestalta
02-01-2021, 12:03 PM
Back in the start of my hunting it was to shoot shit. 1980 with a pellet gun shooting grouse,squirrels, magpies, starlings,crows,the odd porcupine and a robin or 2 that got my ass booted by dad's work boot.
The mid teens was to shoot shit and hang out with the old man and his buddies. Great stories and good times for a impressionable young man that learned alot from the old timers, even some stuff that was hunting related. It was always interesting to see what was around the bend or the other side of the ridge.
Adulthood was much the same except not enough time or money to hunt as much but was much the same thing. Shoot stuff, camaraderie and the same old question of what's over that ridge and around that corner.
Parenthood meant less time hunting and more time trying to make ends meet. Then comes the preteens and the passion ignites again. The smiles on their faces when out with dad is priceless. 4 generations hunting together counting my great uncle is awesome. The kids and the old boys want to shoot stuff now, dad not so much lol. Still the age old question of what's around that corner or over that ridge.
Along comes middle age. The kids are doing their thing which includes making their way thru life and the old timers have passed on what they could and are now fond memories. It is nice to go back to the old haunts and remember the days gone. Seems now a guy looks for any excuse not to shoot stuff including leaving the shells for the rifle in the truck. Finally getting the time and the loot to pursue my passion but have since figured out what's around that corner or over that ridge. So you go looking for new ridges and corners. The quest has taken me to other parts of the country where I got to experience one of my mentors and long time family friend shoot a moose of a lifetime and share the joys and tears of such a feat, share the experience of my brother shooting his 2nd and 3rd big game animal (pronghorn antelope and a 150" whitetail). I've hunter hosted the wife's nephew and his buddy from the island on numerous times and the smiles on their faces taking another first whitetail and a bull elk. Hunter hosting my buddy from yellowknife and being present for his excitement at end of nov rutting whitetail hunt. The experience of hunting with a veteran of multiple tours of afganistan and the ups and downs he had on his bull elk quest (seen bulls everyday, they were even licking the salt of his truck lol).
I suppose we all have our reasons to hunt and to summarize mine would be the camaraderie, friendship and family togetherness along with seeing what's around that corner and over that ridge.

browningboy
02-01-2021, 02:22 PM
To go hang with the boys and get away from it all!! Could care less if I get anything

77Gunner
02-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Kind of like metallica's "of wolf and man", I believe hunting is the meaning of life, to an extent.

mike31154
02-01-2021, 05:01 PM
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mY7xkJmJ0qq4nL7rs53iKACKyauJIp5OonQ-9OeCkNFIlPRAuh7diO5jS02k2B2sGKClITMf6kaxSxI1VAUYpD _1bS8sJjQbREhzMDcctAlVz2DhosIMov-0mVSt3c39IH3pxiBQoTcCWq3Xz6a5esJcA9KfH1G1DoCXouds7 qRxiL66APmE4wsZGkwUEzGyl?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mz_QY05q9GaCgSbPPhRDCs_ziToJ7CQvKRU5oJhYVxdBZ2ST cy657NaFaAu_fnjy3qWycNKgObxO-G2evvlrW5RlOciAKJtRyRrcl-8I1No7-dfFtUvTBTH5LyBUrJozp3z5TLBmTWT_Le0P562CohACAubqOds yzNJwndauQTJO7XOQRAnRUm1MeXbtu-Iu_?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mH9c8J3kY5dZInmnoeK1uRYeWfDVf9fOkGM0dg7mQBYLmExM qe-5tbVktG8eVDobuDjuXHRqHavcESkdHs0K7-bDFviCWWQPFfvsES_5f1B0ZQ2kyEvhORNrLY2UUf9VWB9TKmHz mjJ3i6AuKlFdJx9lwPCcBWFkhE2RBm0-S2I7irjo9c7qCryj_wkgDxVIx?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4msnJpxGyG5c3ZE2b7Oa4UOewVB50CsY6CUnABAFkbyDzBfrw czHg4borrW-yhmaCIGrOPA9AQrbxhLqBMQpJpXKHzxiM_f75sD64HWqhKeHeM MUJJOQbwBVEPO78oYFiDGhu9zMZojQ_MK1Dy0i_VnXLm6oqTyT fc9krP8dOz-1a0IIv1cyAzGFmUmyN7r9zW?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mhMGxJdgLxf5hx-gFNb3o5WzayYeUgTUAJPjBA0a3RzgSocFIFBcbZE6_Knbo632Z 4ubWNq8sEW9kUnSi25wVf62kg4YlGNY4fP_MJQ5zzXWOc7plRV 5m_Khss3Zvv0HFkB6KUkRp8zCeHG2DJWSceK16caDfuOxtEKdX XDumDXCaJo6KFWZg3mmEkiOG5sGn?width=1024&height=676&cropmode=none

Gumsehwah
02-01-2021, 09:17 PM
For the same reason that I garden, fish, hike,pick berries. . .

I come from a non-hunting family.

I was raised on a "hobby farm". ( There is really no such thing as a "hobby" farm).

I moved to a place with a lot of subsistance hunting, and it made little sense to not hunt.

Blacktail1
02-01-2021, 09:36 PM
Horns just horns

Drillbit
02-01-2021, 10:10 PM
It's human nature.

I don't trust the ones that don't hunt

Tred
02-01-2021, 10:17 PM
Trying to harvest the most expensive free meat.

Imdone
02-01-2021, 10:42 PM
Because It's in me, started as dads mini pack mule at 5 years old, first deer hunts at 10, First shot gun at 12. It's carried on in me and family for over 50 years since.
It's in our heritage and tradition, and yes part of culture......even as a descendant of the European Invasion. We love the family and friends connection to our outdoors and wildlife. It's quality sound family time together.
Spent and contributed many of thousands and thousands �� of dollars supporting our ethical and legal harvest to this province and country.
But with our modern day Liberals federally and our bent over ND+Green type provincially our old tradition and heritage and yes culture of legal harvest from us whities is going going and soon to be gone.

It is soon going to be all but for the rich and wealthy. Through FN approval of coarse. It's all but over because of UN BS and the blind leading the misinformed.
It's been fun and a great life style soon to be gone.
Bless the snowflakes.

Redthies
02-01-2021, 10:56 PM
But with our modern day Liberals federally and our bent over ND+Green type provincially our old tradition and heritage and yes culture of legal harvest from us whities is going going and soon to be gone.

It is soon going to be all but for the rich and wealthy. Through FN approval of coarse. It's all but over because of UN BS and the blind leading the misinformed.
It's been fun and a great life style soon to be gone.
Bless the snowflakes.

You might not be wrong, but you could have left this out, and put the effort into typing a letter to your MLA, MP etc and vented to THEM. Your beating a dead horse here.

Imdone
02-01-2021, 11:03 PM
You might not be wrong, but you could have left this out, and put the effort into typing a letter to your MLA, MP etc and vented to THEM. Your beating a dead horse here.

Duuuuuh Really.

I've been more involved in the pro hunting movement than you have any idea. You have no clue. Plain and Simple......times have changed......we are not heard or listened too.

Enjoy it while you can, same is happening with Sport fishing.

I've done more than my share, that said still do....... Good luck to the youngins and the never ending vortex.

Weatherby Fan
02-01-2021, 11:20 PM
So I can impress my friends with big racks !

bogman
02-01-2021, 11:23 PM
So I can impress my friends with big racks !
My high school girl friend liked to hunt...and she had a really big rack

REMINGTON JIM
02-02-2021, 12:45 AM

was she a Really BIG 2 pointer or ? :-P RJ

bogman
02-02-2021, 01:11 AM
was she a Really BIG 2 pointer or ? :-P RJ
Definitely a hat rack

Weatherby Fan
02-02-2021, 01:23 AM

I think we know a cpl more gals with big racks !

hawk-i
02-02-2021, 08:22 AM

We talk about rack size, what do they talk about?

RambleOn
02-02-2021, 10:09 AM
We talk about rack size, what do they talk about?

Size of the horn

fuzzybiscuit
02-02-2021, 11:01 AM
Size of the horn

Some care about the size of the horn and others are just happy to get a warm meal in their belly...

Nice blast from the past this thread is.

bogman
02-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Actually mine (shed) hers last year

pronghorn
02-02-2021, 12:43 PM
Because it fills the freezer, you get family time in and teach people how they can live off the land. Better question is why wouldn’t you?

browningboy
02-02-2021, 01:08 PM

Love a nice rack!!!