PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Deer from Alberta and Sask to BC

Farmer001
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Just a question for hunting in Alberta and Sask, to transport from these provinces proof of sex and species is required. But to bring deer or similar species into BC no spine, skull(unless treated), hide, hooves, can be brought back into BC. So my question is how does one get their game meat back to BC? The only way I see is you take the horns and leave the rest or have it butchered in that province and go pick it up later and that includes taxidermery. Any input would be much appreciated.

GoatGuy
11-03-2010, 10:39 PM
you are correct, get it processed there. If you can't hang around have someone fire the meat on the bus or on a plane - it's cheap compared to the cost of the trip and will hopefully keep CWD out of here a little bit longer.

Good luck!

Farmer001
11-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Was considering processing within province, but am leary of plane, bus transportation. Was considering just getting everything butchered to last longer for shipping, smoked etc. Taxidermy would be a big issue. But agreed have to do everything possible to keep CWD out of the province.

Brambles
11-04-2010, 05:22 AM
You can still bring almost everything back unprocessed, but the horns have to be separated from the head. The spine has to be separated from the carcase, IE: Quartered, the hide has to be free of any flesh, don't really understand that one......The new rules say nothing about sex organs so I don't see why you can't still leave a nut on a quarter for evidence of sex. The patch of hair that you are suppose to leave in BC seems to be omitted for out of province animals but I can't see a 1" square piece of hair attached to the quarter being a big deal.

Takes a little bit more time to quarter up and debone the spine but Still a lot better then having to cut and wrap your deer after a 5 day hunt

Wild Images
11-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Turn and flesh the cape, salt it down and it is ready to bring home.
Cut the antlers off, clean all meat off the skull and hit only the skull portion with a bit of bleach ( do not get it on the antlers )
Take the quarters off the carcass remove all other meat and bring home in a cooler.
For a few dollars you should be able to find a taxi out there to prep the cape and horns for transport

Farmer001
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/images/sexevidence.jpgmoose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep - attached to the same part of the animal to which the tag is affixed, one of the following:
testicles, scrotum, or udder, and in the case of deer only, the completely haired tail, or
the head with horns or antlers attached if the animal has horns or antlers, or
the head (complete with the skin on it) if the animal has no horns or antlers, and
Deboning: a hunter can debone a carcass while in the field and still follow the requirements described above for moose, elk, deer, antelope, bison and non-trophy sheep. It’s not necessary for the full hind quarter of meat to remain intact while still bearing the required evidence, provided that portion of the leg and tendon where the tag is attached also has the evidence of sex, species or class still attached to it.

You cannot bring intact deer, elk, moose or caribou
carcasses into BC from another jurisdiction. You can
hunt elsewhere but the carcass must be processed
so that any high risk material is left behind. You may
not possess the head, hide, hoof, spinal column,
internal organ or mammary gland of cervids that
were killed outside of BC. Hides, antlers and skulls
that have all tissues removed are permitted.
So, if you hunt outside of BC - DO NOT return to
BC with the intact carcass - process it on-site to
prevent moving the disease. Remove the head,
hide, all internal organs and spinal column at the
kill site, and leave these parts in the place of origin
- submit the head to local agencies for CWD
testing. De-bone or have the meat processed prior
to removal from the jurisdiction. If you want to
keep antlers, remove them, any soft tissue and the
connecting bone plate from the remainder of the
skull, and soak in 2% bleach. If you want to keep
the hide, all tissue must be removed before being
possessed in BC.

I can see that bringing back the meat in a cooler as long as the balls and tail are attached, question would be is the tail considered part of the spine?

Wild 1
11-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll be out for a while after hunting season ends, if you would like I can bring you meat home with me from your butcher. If not I know a couple of trucks that make weekly runs from Regina to the Okanagon. If your interested PM me and we can work something out. I had planned on boning everything and packaging it before I left. As long as the tag is with the meat I don't see a problem. Usually I have brought everything back hole, the last ten years its been froze before I ever left and takes a week of hanging here to thaw out. As for the Mount I know a few places that I get my big ones done at and have never had an issue shipping mounts and rugs on the bus.