PDA

View Full Version : Swarovski spotting scopes

cwocarsten
11-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Going on my first sheep hunt next year. Can anyone reccommend a place that has good pricing on Swarovski Spotting scopes?

BiG Boar
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
eBay. 1/2 price. Money well spent. Then get a k&k tripod with pistol grip. Angled scope is awsome for mountain hunts. Don't get a straight body scope.

proguide66
11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Wich one are you looking for?

pearljam
11-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I shopped around for a bit for my ATM 65 HD.........

http://www.peleewings.ca/scopes.php

There price was about 100$ cheaper then anywhere else...

MuleyMadness
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't find many deals on high quality optics on ebay, well pretty much ever. People aren't giving things away too often, and it's not as though the market is flooded with them. My picks would be:

http://www.cameralandny.com - plus they do have limited demos available to save some money
There is also a company called PlainSight Solutions on CGN that has good pricing on new optics. Currently have an ATS – 65 HD spotting scope, $1,750 taxes and shipping included

GoatGuy
11-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't find many deals on high quality optics on ebay, well pretty much ever. People aren't giving things away too often, and it's not as though the market is flooded with them. My picks would be:

http://www.cameralandny.com - plus they do have limited demos available to save some money
There is also a company called PlainSight Solutions on CGN that has good pricing on new optics. Currently have an ATS – 65 HD spotting scope, $1,750 taxes and shipping included

x2 on that or look for one used.

MuleyMadness
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes used FOR SURE if you can find it...only problem is that's like finding a unicorn ;)

Krico
11-03-2010, 10:55 PM
If you're looking for a demo from Cameraland, the best time to buy is shortly after the big shows in the US during the first few months of the year. He has first right of refusal for pretty much all the optics companies and seems to buy it all up every time and blast it out for cheap.

Drillbit
11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Try Aroma Foods, Quesnel, talk to Omer. He's got a bunch of high end optics for pretty good prices.

Krico
11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Try Aroma Foods, Quesnel, talk to Omer. He's got a bunch of high end optics for pretty good prices.

Nestled between the salami and head cheese in the deli cooler?:-D

Jagermeister
11-04-2010, 02:04 AM
You could try Robinson's in Calgary, beats Pelee in Ont.
$1950 for ARM 65HD body, $600 for the 20X60 eyepiece. Add S&H + HST regardless of where you buy it. You could pick it up in Calgary and just pay GST.
If you were on the ball, you could have bought one at WSS in late Sept when they were on sale. Less 10%, best deal anywhere.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2010, 04:07 AM
As far as I know, all authorized dealers are told they can't sell Swarovski products for less than "x" amount of dollars. They can charge more..but not less.

Used would be the way to go.

SSS

Devilbear
11-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Before you actually buy, TRY both the angled and the straight tubed scopes to see which YOU find most comfortable to use. I spent many years where I used optics extensively every day for months on end as a regular part of my work and I much prefer straight tubed spotters for me.

I am on my third spotter that I have owned and have tried all the highend stuff, Swaro, Zeiss and Leica, which is my choice. Swaro optics are simply superb, but, minute differences in the optics may make one brand-style work better for you and some testing here is a very wise idea.

I have a Giotto carbon fiber tripod and Manfrotto pan head and this combo with my Leica Armoured 62-16-48X spotter is simply freakin' awesome and will, hopefully, do me for the rest of my life.

digger dogger
11-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Try BH Photo(google it)
Be careful when you buy off the net(e-bay,craigs list, kijiji ect, the chinese make a good replica but are not worth a pinch of coon s**t..

MichaelB
11-04-2010, 06:40 AM
I bought mine from the States. As cheap as buying a used one up here even if you pay the exchange and duties. When I was looking for one I did see some on Craigslist both in the lower mainlnd and just south of the border. I guess it all depends on how far you are willing to go to save some money.

MuleyMadness
11-04-2010, 07:39 AM

He's the guy that owns plainSight Solutions that I mentioned was advertising on CGN for that incredible price on the new Swaro HD spotting scope. I couldn't care what else he sells if his prices are that good.

Kody94
11-04-2010, 08:05 AM
As far as I know, all authorized dealers are told they can't sell Swarovski products for less than "x" amount of dollars. They can charge more..but not less.

Used would be the way to go.

SSS

Stevus stoneii is correct....Swarovski sets a minimum price that authorized dealers can sell for. You are luck if you can find a $50 or $100 difference amongst most retailers. This is one area where it pays to support your local guy.

Anyone buying from the US should realize that the $100 or so that you might save may cost you....Swarovski does not honor the lifetime warranty on spotters bought in the US. Best you'll get is about 3 years.

Same goes for E-bay, if its out of the US.

bigwhiteys
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Swaro and Zeiss require their dealers to sell their optics at a set price (what I've been told by dealers) they MUST post the suggested retail price or risk losing their distributorship. They can however sell you a scope for LESS than the posted price but it's between you and the dealer.

I would deal with http://eurooptic.com They pretty much just deal with hunters, I would ask to speak to Alex (owner) and let him know you are shopping for a swaro spotting scope. I wouldn't doubt if he will beat CameraLands pricing and he often has used stuff as well.

Carl

bigwhiteys
11-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Swarovski does not honor the lifetime warranty on spotters bought in the US. Best you'll get is about 3 years.

You sure about that....??? I've had swaro warranty work done on glasses not purchased in Canada. And they were over 15 years old... Sent me a brand new pair. My Zeiss was also purchased in the states, no warranty issues with it either.

Carl

islandhunter
11-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Fred At Nicola sports(old powder keg) Is selling swaro now, and his prices always seem pretty good.

The Hermit
11-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Take a look at the KOWA spotters. I'm starting to sound like a broken record here but you will find that in the birding community the Kowa Prominar line are considered the best of the best, the standard against which the Leica, Ziess, and even the Holy Swaro are judged.

The KOWA is less expensive, because they are less well known so you aren't paying as much for the name. They too have a lifetime warranty, and VantagePoint Outfitters here in BC sells them at discount to HBC members!! PM for pricing.

Product Highlights
Features
• It's the big objective lens-indeed, the "eye" of the Kowa Prominar Spotting Scope that sets it apart from the competition. For birders and hunters alike, these are the scopes that re-define clarity, because-among their other impressive features-they boast a large 88mm Pure Flourite Crystal Prominar objective lens. Ensuring maximum light gathering, clear visual range and sharp images that traditional glass lenses can not attain in the field.

• The magnesium alloy body makes the scopes rugged, compact, easy to carry and handle, making them an ideal companion in the great outdoors. The waterproof housing meets the rigorous standards of JIS Protection Class 7; they are also charged with dry nitrogen gas to prevent fogging.

• Utilizes Kowa's new innovative inner focus system to decrease image movement when focusing on objects-even single handed.

Eye Pieces
• Multiple interchangeable eyepieces available including 20x-60x, Zoom; 30x, Wide; and 25x, LER for total versatility in the field. Eyepiece locking mechanism prevents the eyepiece from falling out or getting lost. Converters allow users to utilize eyepieces from other Kowa spotting scope series.

Cases
• Optional stay-on-scopes cases have been designed specially to protect the TSN 880 Spotting Scope Series. The all-weather cases are ergonomically and functionally designed to guarantee extremely efficient use in the field.

Digiscoping
• Kowa offers a total solution for Digiscoping that allows enthusiasts to combine the high optical performance of Kowa’s Prominar TSN-880 Series with the quality of various digital, SLR and video cameras in a revolutionary way. Our complete system of adapters offers users the opportunity to observe, photograph and film nature with integrated functionality that was previously unimaginable.

Specifications
Model: TSN-883
Objective Lens Diameter: 88mm
Minimum Focus Distance: 5m
Diameter of Filter: 95mm
Length: 343mm
Weight: 1,520g

Digital Camera Adapter: TSN-DA10
Eyepiece Converter: TSN-EC2 (For use of TSN-820M Series Eyepieces)
Eyepiece Converter: TSN-EC3 (For use of TSN-660/600 Series Eyepieces)

Warranty: Lifetime of the product

proguide66
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
How much you lookin to spend??...I 'might' know a guy with a few swaro's !:mrgreen:

Gilmore
11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
How much you lookin to spend??...I 'might' know a guy with a few swaro's !:mrgreen:

Your such a loser!:lol::lol:

bridger
11-04-2010, 09:22 AM
angled scopes work ok if you are on the bottom of the hill and looking up or if you just use your scope to check something out that you have found with your bino's, but if you are using your spotter to extensive glassing of a distance mtn most guys find the straight tube easier to use.

proguide66
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
ive got both straight and angled and found I prefer the angle...I find I usually sit with a good back rest , set my tripod between my legs , elbows on my knees for a few hrs glassing and scoping at a time ( rarely glass from a location for less than 3 hrs)...I find it easier to glass , look down to my angled eye piece , look back up tp my binos..instead of having a straight scope in my way.....straight er angled is most deffinitely a 50/50 when it comes to preference.. ( and the HD does NOTHING to help a hunter, its for photography enhancement...it kills a 'very slight' blueish line' (that we would never notice) that borders a subject through the lense...so , hunters SAVE YOUR MONEY.......I have 3 different sizes and 1 HD here , you cant tell the difference in either one when lined up on the same spot side by side....

Devilbear
11-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Yup, HD is a waste of money for hunters and the larger objective spotters are too heavy for serious backpack hunting. I have used a lot of optics and some Asian makes are damn good, but, nothing I have ever used will beat a Leica, Zeiss or Swaro.

I am seriously considering selling a rifle or two to buy both a lighter tripod and one of the new Leica large objective scopes for serious nature study. The extra weight is not an issue as I very seldom carry a gun on such jaunts and also do not have a five day camp and hunting gear attached to my elderly carcass.

Again, TRY before you buy and get what works best for you.

The Hermit
11-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Yup, HD is a waste of money for hunters and the larger objective spotters are too heavy for serious backpack hunting. I have used a lot of optics and some Asian makes are damn good, but, nothing I have ever used will beat a Leica, Zeiss or Swaro.

I am seriously considering selling a rifle or two to buy both a lighter tripod and one of the new Leica large objective scopes for serious nature study. The extra weight is not an issue as I very seldom carry a gun on such jaunts and also do not have a five day camp and hunting gear attached to my elderly carcass.

Again, TRY before you buy and get what works best for you.

Okay game on!

I "assume" that you have not tried the KOWA then... if you like, the next time I come over to Vancouver (Dec 6th - 8th) I'll bring a KOWA Prominar for you to try before you buy.

Gateholio
11-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I use a Ziess spotter, but a Kowa is a very good choice. They have very good glass and are reaosnably priced compared tot he Swaros.

Kody94
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Hermit,

I am likely to upgrade to a Swaro spotter before next season. I have been admiring the ATM65 with 20-60x eyepiece, and am still undecided on HD.

Looking at the KOWA lineup, it looks like the TSN663 scope with the TE-9Z eyepiece is the closest one in specs.

The Swaro in HD would set me back approx $2700. What is the comparable KOWA worth?

Cheers!

The Hermit
11-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Hermit,

I am likely to upgrade to a Swaro spotter before next season. I have been admiring the ATM65 with 20-60x eyepiece, and am still undecided on HD.

Looking at the KOWA lineup, it looks like the TSN663 scope with the TE-9Z eyepiece is the closest one in specs.

The Swaro in HD would set me back approx $2700. What is the comparable KOWA worth?

Cheers!

Just sold one to a fellow HBC'er this week...

KOWA TSN-663 Angled or TSN 664 Straight Series with TE-9Z = CAN $1275. +HST = $1,428 includes shipping

Fitted Scope case = $125 plus tax.

NOTE - The TSN-663 IS an HD scope.

Kody94
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Just sold one to a fellow HBC'er this week...

KOWA TSN-663 Angled or TSN 664 Straight Series with TE-9Z = CAN $1275. +HST = $1,428 includes shipping

Fitted Scope case = $125 plus tax.

NOTE - The TSN-663 IS an HD scope.

That's good to know. :) The $2700 for an HD Swaro does not include HST....so the KOWA's are about 1/2 price. Definitely worth taking the time to do a comparison.

Dutch Ppoacher
11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
we need a none partial party to do a comparison to sway the HBC'res feelings.!!!

i ellect my self. just need a Kowa spotter and i'll be off to the races!

DP

Elkaddict
11-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Hermit,

Cheers!

Don't discount the TSN 773. It is actually a little shorter than the Swaro 65 and only 10 oz heavier. I recently got one off The Hermit and so far I am very impressed. Haven't used it in the field on animals yet tho'. Let you know in couple of weeks:-D

Jagermeister
11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
My impression of the Kowa line is that they bear a striking similarity to the older Bushnell Spacemasters. Kowas have the same small focusing ring on the top of the turret, you always have to grope for it and it is impossible to turn with gloves on. You could save even more money by buying a new Bushnell Spacemaster and they even comes with HD.
Here's a test for you. Focus on a far away object so that it is in the center of the glass, then shift the scope so that the object is now at the out limit of the viewing area. Does it have the same clarity? Repeat this test in a fast fading light situation, again, does it have the same clarity? This test involes getting the sun to enter into the scope from an angle, like you're viewing stones on a southeast facing slope in the morning about 9ish and you are looking to the south or SSW. You don't have a lens hood and are getting a little sun striking the lense on an angle. The amount of effect of this sunlight will be determined by the quality of the lens. I have done a comparison, there is a difference.
IMO, Swarovski sets the benchmark that the others try to obtain.

The Hermit
11-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Interesting. I have actually worn my gloves and had no problem at all with the large or small (gross and fine) focus knobs.

http://www.kowascope.com/images/product/Kowa_TSN-884(M).jpg

I have also done exactly what you suggest regarding centering the object and moving the scope to the edges... perfect clarity and no color distortion! In fact it is for those reasons the KOWA Prominar is considered the best optics in the world by professional reviewers!

To compare the Kowa to a Bushnell Spacemaster is ludicrous! LOL

Devilbear
11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
This is an example of what I mentioned earlier, the difference in how each individual's eyes "see" the optics of a given scope. I tried the big three and found, for me, that Leica worked best.

I have not looked though a Kowa for some years, but, I know some VERY serious riflemen who swear by them and have done for quite awhile.

At my age, I am content to go with what I have and since it works so well, I ain't about to change. Younger eyes may find another scope superior, but, I cannot see it and want to save m y $$$$ for more trips.

Gateholio
11-04-2010, 11:22 PM
IMO, Swarovski sets the benchmark that the others try to obtain.

IMHO, Ziess sets a better benchmark for a spotter, Leica for a 10X bino and Swaro for a 8X bino but again, that is *my* eyes. Like DB says, it's all about your own eyes...when you get to the top end glass, the differences are small, and your eyes will tell you which one to buy.

Also to note, the difference between "medium high end" and "high end" optics is always quite abit less than the difference between cheap optics and medium grade. There is quite a bit of "diminishing returns" as you go up in dollar value.

Hermit, if you are willing to send a Kowa scope to me, PG66 and I will compare it side by side with his 3 Swaro spotters and my Ziess, and give an unbiased opinion.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-05-2010, 04:03 AM
try some of the nikon s-scopes, just to compare.

http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=11888

Kody94
11-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Interesting. I have actually worn my gloves and had no problem at all with the large or small (gross and fine) focus knobs.

I have also done exactly what you suggest regarding centering the object and moving the scope to the edges... perfect clarity and no color distortion! In fact it is for those reasons the KOWA Prominar is considered the best optics in the world by professional reviewers!

IMHO, Ziess sets a better benchmark for a spotter, Leica for a 10X bino and Swaro for a 8X bino but again, that is *my* eyes.

Hermit, if you are willing to send a Kowa scope to me, PG66 and I will compare it side by side with his 3 Swaro spotters and my Ziess, and give an unbiased opinion.

I would find your (PG66 and yourself) opinion helpful. I have used Zeiss and Swaro spotters many times, but don't have them readilly available to do a side x side comparison.

I'd kick in a 10 spot for a share of shipping if you folks make it happen.

MuleyMadness
11-05-2010, 08:09 AM
I would find your (PG66 and yourself) opinion helpful. I have used Zeiss and Swaro spotters many times, but don't have them readilly available to do a side x side comparison.

I'd kick in a 10 spot for a share of shipping if you folks make it happen.

X2 and the 10 bucks as well...would love to see how close they actually are

pearljam
11-05-2010, 08:12 AM

I understand your now a dealer for Kowa........ Of course your going to stick up for it and try to make a sale...

Kowa is rated high by birders. old ladies that walk in parks on sunny days. Not hard core sheep hunters spending weeks in foul weather carring everything on thier backs.

The Hermit
11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I'll go one better and bring the KOWA spotters and binoculars up to Whistler on Dec 7 for the "look see". I'll just be getting back from the late season WT hunt in Rock Creek... staying at Kira's in Vancouver on the 6th.

Maybe Devilbear would like to ride up and back with me? He could bring his Leica and we can all study PG66's BT hills!! :mrgreen:

MuleyMadness
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
It's On Like Donkey Kong!

Kody94
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Excellent! Now I just have to sit on my wallet long enough to get the results of the review. :)

cwocarsten
11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Wow, thanks for all your expert tips. I will look into the Kowa also as I have time before they are needed. My first choice is the Swarovski as I have EL 10X42, and when I broke one of the strap mounts, I was sent a brand new pair. My hunting bud has lent me his Swarovski spotting scope and it hasn't given me a headache for long days of glassing. As for the Bushnel spacemaster, I have my second one in for repair (internal lens popped out) for the same thing, so I would not reccommend the Spacemaster to anyone. Now I want to buy the right spotting for the last time> Thanks for all your tips and links. Cheers.

Tarp Man
11-06-2010, 06:51 AM
I would second plainSightsolutions in Quesnel. Omer actually got into the high end optics as a dealer to meet his own needs as a backpacking sheep hunter. I bought a pair of 10x42 EL's from him this fall and his prices and service are second to none. He is a relatively new dealer, but as a user, his experiences are using them in the field and in the worst possible conditions. You can PM here on HBC or CGN. I can vouch for him and his sales service. As for Swarovski's warranty, I hope to never have to use it, but I am completely confident it will be as good or better than Leupold's.

mod7rem
11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
The amount of info on the net about optics is amazing. Dont ever discount the opinions of the birdwatching crowds around the world, the number of birders far exceeds the number of hunters. Unlike hunters there only real gear expense is optics. John Barsness writes alot on optics and I remember one of his articles stating that the best source for optics info is the birding community. No other group spends as much time in the field with there eyes glued to there optics.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
i prefer the straight scope . have used both lots. the thing about the angled is that when you put it on your window mount or tripod is that your looking down all the time .. with the stariaght you can use the pointer on the side for tracking then, go to eye peice ..just my two cents worth . .dpends on what you like . as for getting one ..i know people have had success on ebay ..anything under 2 grand is good . with 20 by 60 HD ..

Jagermeister
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
......................the thing about the angled is that when you put it on your window mount or tripod is that your looking down all the time .. with the stariaght you can use the pointer on the side for tracking then, go to eye peice .......................
While this may be true on some scopes, this does not apply to the Swarovski ATM 65/80 models.
The viewing angle on the Swarovski ATM 65/80 can be rotated 90° to the left or the right. The aiming aid can be used in any aspect of the rotation.
I would imagine that this feature is also applicable to Leica and Zeiss as well.

yama49
11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
He's the guy that owns plainSight Solutions that I mentioned was advertising on CGN for that incredible price on the new Swaro HD spotting scope. I couldn't care what else he sells if his prices are that good.

Yep i agree, purschased a swaro 65hd, off omer, cant beat his prices, in canada

Rubicon500
11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
eBay. 1/2 price. Money well spent. Then get a k&k tripod with pistol grip. Angled scope is awsome for mountain hunts. Don't get a straight body scope.

Should say get a body your comfortable with, personally Id never use a angled spotter