PDA

View Full Version : Decent B & C score for Mule/Whitetail

palmer
11-03-2010, 09:01 PM
So I want to hear what you think are decent B & C scores for Mulies and Whitetails from BC. For Mulies 140,150,160 or maybe 170 and up ?
Whitetails 140,150 ? . Let me know.

forthunter
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
i think everybodys idea of a decent score is gunna be different if your proud of it then its a decent score. I shot 4 point muley this year took it to a taxidermist he didnt officially score it but he said low 160s and im proud of it so i think 160s is a decent score to get a muley buck mounted but id still be proud of a smaller buck just wouldnt get it mounted. im actually eating him right now hes pretty tasty

Jelvis
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
175 typical mule or a non typ over 200

Brambles
11-04-2010, 05:34 AM
B&C score can really cheat some deer, IMO not a 100% reliable method of judging a quality animal. Its great to talk about numbers as a way to compare but I've seen mulie bucks that score in the 150's that look like they should score in the 170's because they just don't grow the way Boone and Crockett think they should, still very appealing to the eye.

todbartell
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
a 170-180 mulie is a real great buck. A 150-160 WT also

IronNoggin
11-04-2010, 11:06 AM
B&C score can really cheat some deer, IMO not a 100% reliable method of judging a quality animal...

True that! I've seen a few that I would have thought should score much better. And conversely I have seen a handful that scored well but were lesser bucks than some I have seen in the former catagory.

That said, I have indeed been spoiled hunting both. IMHO I have a minimum shooting standard for myself (and clients) that goes: Whitetails minimum 175 plus; Mulies 180 plus. Non-Typicals of either are tough to judge on the hoof, and I would have a damn tough time not taking any with good mass. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

sawmill
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I don`t care that much but I have a couple of 140`ish whities that look great on the wall.Got a mulie that would have gone 175 at least except his right side is a big palmated moose horn looking 2 point.Love that one!Horns are cool,meat is cooler.

BCrams
11-04-2010, 11:49 AM
True that! I've seen a few that I would have thought should score much better. And conversely I have seen a handful that scored well but were lesser bucks than some I have seen in the former catagory.

That said, I have indeed been spoiled hunting both. IMHO I have a minimum shooting standard for myself (and clients) that goes: Whitetails minimum 175 plus; Mulies 180 plus. Non-Typicals of either are tough to judge on the hoof, and I would have a damn tough time not taking any with good mass. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

Whats your success rate with your minimum standards of 175 on whitetails and 180 for mule deer for clients?? :-D

Some years, I've raised the bar for 200" plus on non-typicals and 185 plus for typicals and have eaten tag soup at the end of the season. Its payed off though with my largest non-typical to date and have come close on other occassions.

Other years, I hunt hard with high expectations and then tell myself if an opportunity comes to take a decent last day buck, I will take that last day buck.

And then like last year, I held out on my first hunt but then when I went up north, it was going to be the first decent buck I could find and it was in the 170's. It was a lesson learned because the next day, I saw a couple bigger bucks including a huge non-typical.

In retrospect, any buck you choose to shoot and are happy with, is a trophy.

This year I am just going to hunt and make my decision when (and if) I see a buck.

IronNoggin
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Whats your success rate with your minimum standards of 175 on whitetails and 180 for mule deer for clients?? :-D

With clients that runs between 75 to 90% over the past 6 years. Really.
Of course we are guiding in some of the better "cream" spots for both in Alberta, and do a LOT of homework...

For myself, it hasn't worked out nearly to the same rate! Given that I am guiding clients to the best of what I am aware of, and only hunting the "fringe" periods when I am not so engaged, that ain't all that surprising.

As yourself, I generally set that high standard before the hunting season starts, and stick with it to close to the very end, sometimes past the point of no return. Passed up a LOT of "decent" whitetails last season, only fired once, and missed. OUCH! :icon_frow Tag Soup. Didn't have to be that way, but should I have nailed a lesser buck, I never even would have had the opportunity to see that 200 class deer that still runs through my Nightmares! :wink:
Year before I did the "last day" thing on a 165 class eater whose horns adorn the pile in the garage. Good grits though!

I am not suggesting everyone should hold out for Mr. Wonderful! They are rare, and enjoying the fruits of the labor are as much a part of it as wall decorations. ANY buck YOU think is worthy is just that!

Cheers & Straight Shootin'!
Nog

bighornbob
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I don`t care that much but I have a couple of 140`ish whities that look great on the wall.Got a mulie that would have gone 175 at least except his right side is a big palmated moose horn looking 2 point.Love that one!Horns are cool,meat is cooler.

Sweet a moose/mulie hybrid (becuase most hybrids guys see and shoot all based on horn configurations.):mrgreen:

BHB

jrjonesy
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
So I want to hear what you think are decent B & C scores for Mulies and Whitetails from BC. For Mulies 140,150,160 or maybe 170 and up ?
Whitetails 140,150 ? . Let me know.

In B.C., I think a 130 to 140 inch whitetail is an awesome buck. For a mulie, for the average hunter I think that once you get into the 145 to 150 inch range you're looking at a great buck.

I realize there's much bigger being shot in BC throughout the season but you asked about "decent" bucks and for the average guy in BC, a 150 inch buck is the buck of a lifetime.

eastkoothunter
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
B&C score can really cheat some deer, IMO not a 100% reliable method of judging a quality animal. Its great to talk about numbers as a way to compare but I've seen mulie bucks that score in the 150's that look like they should score in the 170's because they just don't grow the way Boone and Crockett think they should, still very appealing to the eye.

Agree 100%. I shot a mule deer last year that was exactly that. Gross score of 172, nets right under 160. People ask, I say 170. After all, nets are for fish!

kootenayslam
11-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Someone who calls 165 class whitetails "eaters" that go on the pile in the garage takes the fun out of hunting, i'd have to call bs on any whitetail hunter that passes on a 165-175 whitetail........but some tapes are long too, hmmmmm, wonder if anyone on this site has a long tape, i'm thinking so, gotta tape' em big for the clients!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same old story........fools some makes others laugh, i'm the latter.

mark
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I think score is just a number, like others said, it doesnt often do the critter justice.
People shouldnt get to bent out of shape on score!
I think people should shoot a deer that will make them happy, and that will vary from person to person!

If you want to make the Boone & crocket books, the minimum scores are listed on their website, but youll be eating tag soup for a long time in BC!

IronNoggin
11-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Someone who calls 165 class whitetails "eaters" that go on the pile in the garage takes the fun out of hunting, i'd have to call bs on any whitetail hunter that passes on a 165-175 whitetail........but some tapes are long too, hmmmmm, wonder if anyone on this site has a long tape, i'm thinking so, gotta tape' em big for the clients!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same old story........fools some makes others laugh, i'm the latter.

To each their own. I was fortunate enough to start my hunting career 40 years ago. Was a guide before I made 20, and have taken far to many whitetails to remember each and every one any more. I do have a few that hit the 180 mark, but have been in the serious search for a True Monster for almost 20 years now. One doesn't hang a tag on one of those by knocking over 165 class animals. Really.

I'd offer to let you have a boo at the bone-pile in the garage, but your attitude suggests to me that I won't. Be careful whose toes you step on my friend, you'll often find they are connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...

Did have another who requested some verification on what I had posted POLITELY today. Already fired off a good handful of Mulie pix that have tumbled to our crew, and intend to do the same with the Whitetails in short order. Once I have the latter in hand, I will indeed post a few of each... If only to stifle the BS from some...

Takes the fun out of Hunting?? WTF? I spend as much time or more than anyone I know out there. As a consequence I have learned a thing or two, and get to see a LOT of animals most would immediately fire on. That simply ain't "enough" for me any more. No, it is much more the time out there that makes it for me. And if the one I am searching for happens along, so be it. Most years I go the entire season without shooting, simply to be there to the very last second. And THAT my friend, is what I call FUN! Again, each to their own.

Enjoy your giggle. It will be short lived... :twisted:

Nog

Caveman
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
A trophy differs for everyone. It comes down to the memory or accomplishment as much as the score, but for me I like to see something in around 26 inches wide with great mass and long forks. I'm still looking for one with a bunch of junk. If I have to put a number on it I'm looking for at least something in the 170 inch typ. range. Anything above that is bonus

Brambles
11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
To each their own. I was fortunate enough to start my hunting career 40 years ago. Was a guide before I made 20, and have taken far to many whitetails to remember each and every one any more. I do have a few that hit the 180 mark, but have been in the serious search for a True Monster for almost 20 years now. One doesn't hang a tag on one of those by knocking over 165 class animals. Really.

I'd offer to let you have a boo at the bone-pile in the garage, but your attitude suggests to me that I won't. Be careful whose toes you step on my friend, you'll often find they are connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...

Did have another who requested some verification on what I had posted POLITELY today. Already fired off a good handful of Mulie pix that have tumbled to our crew, and intend to do the same with the Whitetails in short order. Once I have the latter in hand, I will indeed post a few of each... If only to stifle the BS from some...

Takes the fun out of Hunting?? WTF? I spend as much time or more than anyone I know out there. As a consequence I have learned a thing or two, and get to see a LOT of animals most would immediately fire on. That simply ain't "enough" for me any more. No, it is much more the time out there that makes it for me. And if the one I am searching for happens along, so be it. Most years I go the entire season without shooting, simply to be there to the very last second. And THAT my friend, is what I call FUN! Again, each to their own.

Enjoy your giggle. It will be short lived... :twisted:

Nog

How many of those bucks your talking about were killed in B.C.?

GoatGuy
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Any buck a hunter harvests and is happy with is a great buck.

kootenayslam
11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Nog,

Maybe you have shot some big deer but i bet your not getting those bucks in BC because I know allot of serious trophy hunters in BC and not one would pass on a 165 - 175 whitetail. Maybe your different or maybe your hunting the prairies, but to call a 165 whitetail an "eater" come on man - how is that "POLITE", how does that make the guy feel who has spent 1000 bucks to mount a 155 buck - not good. That's why i called you out because i really don't believe anyone would pass up those caliber of bucks in bc, if you do, good on you, but i doubt it. Thats all.

Darksith
11-06-2010, 02:10 PM
no point in bickering over the internet. Its simply not worth it. I would however love to see some of your pics Nog. Im not asking for proof, I just love a nice rack, just ask my old lady! I unfortunately have never even seen 1 hunting, let alone get a shot at 1.

northernhunter
11-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I think it depends on the area you hunt. 170 or better for mulie and 150 or better for whiteys up north. I go down to Fort Saint John and hunt on a buddy's land by baldonnel been hunting there 18 years and only took one mulie over 190. Seen a few over the years with lots of junk on there heads,just not lucky enough to get them. My son who is 13 is coming this year and the first mulie over 150 will be getting pilled up for him being it will be his first buck.

jml11
11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
The BC book minimums are a good guide line to the caliber of bucks BC has to offer.

Mule Deer is 175 (typical) and White-tailed Deer is 150 (typical). Anything above those typical scores should be considered exceptional bucks in BC.

As for "decent" bucks it is all in the eye of the beholder...and like many have said, the score may not portray what one consideres a decent buck. If you are looking to put a score to it, I would say a 160+ class Muley and a 140+ White-tailed deer would be good bucks in BC as a whole.