PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see all the Blacktail Interest.

Rainforest hunter
11-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Blacktail are the forgotten deer whitetail and Mule deer hunters call them dog deer or those little deer. Truth is a big bodied Blacktail are still big and they are the hardest big game trophy to harvest in North America. They seem to be getting more popular to hunt. It's nice to see.

Prowler
11-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I think the people that live in blacktail country, hunt blacktails. I dont think you get "many" hunters traveling from say Clearwater, or Cranbrook to chase trophy blacktails, but thats fine with me.. They are by far, the most frustrating deer on the planet to hunt, but when you connect, theres nothing like it...:-D

Brew
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I love hunting them even though I have been hunting them hard for 4 years and have not pulled the trigger on one yet. Had chances on little bucks and messed up a few chances on some hogs. I want a big one and will hold out till I find one.

Rainforest hunter
11-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Blacktails ROCK!!

blacktailslayer
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Real men hunt blacktails.:mrgreen::mrgreen::!:

Bistchen
11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Got a 2 point on October 1st. Was stalking a black bear, got winded, went after him, lost him, but there was a blactail on the edge of the forest in the alpine. Pure luck. I have been going after the basterds hard all autumn, and havent seen one apart from the one I shot. They are GHOSTS, no joke!!
They are the tastiest in my opinion. Better than Mule/WT.
Delicious bounty, if you can shoot one, let alone see one!

IronNoggin
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
... they are the hardest big game trophy to harvest in North America...

AMEN!!!

I have successfully hunted Mule deer, Whitetails, Moose, Elk, 3 varieties of Sheep, Goats, Caribou, Musk-ox, Antelope, and more on this continent. And I have been lucky enough to have dug a handful of Real Biggies out of the hills for most, and "Good" representatives of those that didn't go Large.

Been hunting Black-tails now for over a decade, ever since moving to The Rock. I have NEVER faced any animal so damn elusive, so bloody frustrating, and yet so Appealing! If I put in a quarter of the time I have chasing the other deer species, I would have had several more Biggies of those to add to the list. But alas, that Mr. Wonderful Black-tail still eludes me. Sure, I've taken a good handful of "eaters" over the time here, but pretty well every year ends with my final tag hanging on the Christmas tree. And as frustrating as that may be, it is somehow also rather satisfying.

So, I would indeed tend to agree. A Real Good, or even to dream as far as a Book Black-tail is indeed the toughest challenge I have faced in my hunting career so far. Guess that's why I go pursuing them so damn often... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

scoopy
11-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I love hunting for Blacktail. Get up early, hike for hours, maybe see some tracks or scat, go home. Aaaahh yes Blacktail.

sniper ren
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
They are a blast to hunt!!!.....But its definatly a grind! I am relatively new to the Blacktail hunting. But they are there and when you do see them man does it get the heart pumping! Around here seeing a couple of deer in a day is a pretty good day! Its easy to see why you don't see the numbers just look at the country they live in! Good eats aswell!

5 spike
11-04-2010, 09:32 PM
i wake up every day thinking about blacktails. i watch there movement around town, i work in areas they are out and about every day. again i watch there movement there habits. they say blacktails cant be patterned. wrong they can be. spend enough time in the field watching learning feeding and bedding areas. shooter and i have watched bucks use the same trails year after year. i am not out looking for big antlers every year my family loves the meat. but its always nice to nock down a big boy. these deer are amazing animals to hunt i have the cuts scrapes and sore muscles to prove it. i love blacktails.

proguide66
11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
They are EEEEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL...kill em all !!!!!:p:p...I hate them for what they have done to me!!!:lol:

Jelvis
11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Blacktail deer are the hardest to hunt of all deer being on the coastal country makes it the most challenging and according to many deer hunters from California through BC who study deer hunting, hard to get a big bruising brush buster in their mountainous topography and special habitat, from bottom to top.
Jel .. ( How Deer Live phd.m.s ) Cloudy areas with lots of rainfall .. check clear cuts morning and evenings .. after snowfall you see them better
otherwise they melt into the shadows and become silhouettes .. chowzerz :-D Your going to get excercise

Rainforest hunter
11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I love blacktail hunting because road hunting sucks for them. You need to get off your Ass and put in a physical effort.

Shooter
11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I know plenty of people that fill the freezer every year without getting very far from the truck. I really enjoy getting out and hiking and have been starting more and more deeper timber hiking the last couple years but have still shot more deer closer to a road rather than farther from a road. It just comes down to what kind of a challenge you are looking for. And what you enjoy doing. Many methods can be successful. Even road hunters need to have good areas tho. Can't shoot a deer that isn't in the area.

Rainforest hunter
11-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Road hunting sucks!!

dime
11-05-2010, 08:32 PM
The problem with blacktails is they are the midgets of the deer world. Other deer toss them in bars. Once I saw a blacktail emerging from a mole hill, only to be eaten by a marten. Sure they can get to be of a half decent size, but the biggest blacktail is a dink compared to a mulie.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17602&ppuser=1603

proguide66
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
The problem with blacktails is they are the midgets of the deer world. Other deer toss them in bars. Once I saw a blacktail emerging from a mole hill, only to be eaten by a marten. Sure they can get to be of a half decent size, but the biggest blacktail is a dink compared to a mulie.

" the problem with blacktails' ?? HMMPH !..no comprende , un aware of any 'problems':mrgreen:...BUT , any small b tail is more like einstine compared to ANY MULEY !!!:razz:

blacktailslayer
11-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Maybe if you try shooting one a little bigger than barely out of the womb?? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

JCVD
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM

lol maybe you should check out the big bodied BT thread.

Rainforest hunter
11-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Don't Mule Deer just stand there and look at you!!

115 or bust
11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
They are EEEEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL...kill em all !!!!!:p:p...I hate them for what they have done to me!!!:lol:

Lol sounds about right. Can't sleep can't dream except about bucks. Wife thinks I'm nuts too lol.

Doe
11-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't Mule Deer just stand there and look at you!! Yes actually....

I believe is was Jesus who said,

God created whitetails for men who starve hunting blacktails:wink:

For the record... out of all the nasty rut-stunk bucks we have harvested, not once have we had to grind one because of the foul gamey taste, they are all sweeeeeeeet.
I have opened freezer packed 'gifts' of muley and wanted to vomit:eek:

JCVD
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes actually....

I believe is was Jesus who said,

God created whitetails for men who starve hunting blacktails:wink:

For the record... out of all the nasty rut-stunk bucks we have harvested, not once have we had to grind one because of the foul gamey taste, they are all sweeeeeeeet.
I have opened freezer packed 'gifts' of muley and wanted to vomit:eek:

hahaha:mrgreen:

Rainforest hunter
11-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Blacktails have sure been the topic of interest this fall. Nice to see!!

Sleep Robber
11-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Don't Mule Deer just stand there and look at you!!

Ha Ha Ha , yes they do, and if you listen carefully, you can hear them "MOO" :lol:

hunter1947
11-27-2010, 02:57 AM
I hunted the Island blacktail deer for 52 years and they are one of the hardest deer to hunt.

I miss the first season hunting them in 52 years moving to Cranbrook this year.

When you get one over 100 points you have accomplished something http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif..

Rainforest hunter
11-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Keep the blacktail pictures coming!!!

11-27-2010, 09:24 AM
got my first BT buck this year.
thanks for all the tips Steve.

any idea what this 3x3 would score??

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/johnromanko/DSCF1050.jpg

nomad
11-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Blacktails!!! Mwahaaha! Back out this afternoon for some more! Must postpone everything else... Might get another glimpse of that big guy, then who knows! Get to come home with nothing but burnt out legs yet again! Woo Hoo, this thread is not helping!