PDA

View Full Version : Whitetails near Kamloops

bigbadjoel
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

Where would be a good spot for a guy to look for a Whitey buck within an hour or two of Kamloops?
I have 4 days off on the rememberance day weekend and am thinking of getting away for a night or two to try and find a Whitetail. Any suggestions?

bighornbob
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,

Where would be a good spot for a guy to look for a Whitey buck within an hour or two of Kamloops?
I have 4 days off on the rememberance day weekend and am thinking of getting away for a night or two to try and find a Whitetail. Any suggestions?

Within 2 hours of Kamloops for whitetails, thats easy, head to Kelowna.

BHB

swampdonkey
11-03-2010, 02:19 PM
tunkwa lake area

MuleyMadness
11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
My suggestions would be:

East of Merritt (in the 3-20 area) and off the connector
The areas along highway 97c between Monte Creek and Monte Lake
Between Kamloops and Merritt 3-19

That is where I generally see the rats with antlers. Not saying those are the best spots, but they are becoming plentiful around there. Haven't been seeing much around any of those places this year though, but that may be due to the weather thus far...expect that to be the heat of the rut for WT deer around here though.

ufishifish2
11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
There are some in Westwold but it is all private property. There is a road called Yankee Flats on the Vernon side of Falkland. There is the odd W/T there.
If it were me, I'd stick with the Merritt idea, then again, there are far better areas around Kelowna and Cherryville if you are willing to drive a bit further!!!

gary mok
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
How about from Vancouver about 4 hours drive ?would like to go with kid for whitetail doe,thanks for info suggest.

dougster
11-03-2010, 04:59 PM
to late for whitey does

d6dan
11-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Yep, go to Grand Forks..Lots of whiteys there.

M.Dean
11-03-2010, 08:03 PM
White Tail Does are open until November 30th for Youth Hunters in some regions.

gary mok
11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
White Tail Does are open until November 30th for Youth Hunters in some regions.yes, you're right,that's why I am looking for some info within 4 hrs drive from vancouver,any suggestion pls,thanks !!!

KevinB
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I've seen the WT's in most areas around Kamloops - Pinantan, Savona, Knutsford, up past Westside, Heffley, Tunkwa, even at the KTSA range (no hunting there!). Pretty much all directions at low elevation. I wouldn't say they are in any of the areas in high numbers, but they are around. I've been out about 4 or 5 days chasing them since the start of October and I've seen a total of 2.

Like BHB said, if I had 4 days and was able to stay out for a couple of nights I'd head to somewhere east of Kelowna. Lots of WT's around and lots of areas to hunt.

Sooke Hunter
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Rock creek area (30 K deep towards Kelowna Hwy 33?) is good for WT:) have had success twice....probably just over 4 hours from Van given the weather:neutral::neutral:

MuleyMadness
11-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Well from say Surrey to Rock Creek he's going to be closer to 6 hours. Personally Rock Creek/Christian Valley wouldn't be my first choice, particularly because of the high pressure it tends to see. Someone mentioned Cherryville, that would definitely be something worth thinking about, but again it's well past his 4 hour or so limit.