PDA

View Full Version : wool pants

brock77
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
what make/brand of wool pants are you guys/gals using,,Pros and cons..

Just picked up a pair of browning highland 2 wool pants. 7 oz wool blend with a liner ....was looking for filsons with 100% virgin wool,but settled or these

dutchie
11-02-2010, 09:54 PM
i have the high land 2...

With lots of hiking you will wear out the crotch after a season.

I have the columbia's and they are too warm for anything other then late season.

Wool is awesome becasue it is so quiet, no need to worry about brushing a branch.

Great gear tho

Dutchie

sfire436
11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I have the columbia stuff too and will say that it is rather warm but quiet and comfy.

pearljam
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
both filson whipcord and mackinaw pants for this guy. best stuff out there.

Devilbear
11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Filson's whipcords and I might buy a pair of their heavier pants, PJ is right, they are the best out there. You cannot really wear the whipcords out in a decade of hard hunting and they are comfy in a wide range of temps.

Mountain Man
11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
both filson whipcord and mackinaw pants for this guy. best stuff out there.

I agree its all I use !!! FILSON !!!!:mrgreen:

skibum
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
the wife got me a hunting specific pair from LLbean - they are great

Tiptoe
11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I have the Highland Bibs and like them as I don't need to wear a belt and they are nice and quiet.
For years had a inexpensive pair of green wool, army surplus pants that were great, just not quite as comfortable as some of the "designed for hunting" pants. It's time to get another pair for a backup.
Wool rules. I am now very curious to see the Filson's...
I wish I were handy on a sewing machine to design my own pants.

Iltasyuko
11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I have Filson virgin wool bibs - quiete and good in a wide range of temps. They are just good fashion no matter where you wear them!

Phreddy
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I have Norwegian Army surplus wool winter pants. Quiet, excellent warmth, and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. It ain't a fashion show out there so in those immortal words of Robin Williams in "Good Morning Vietnam", "Go out there and clash."

betteroffishing
11-04-2010, 08:06 AM
i rock the army surpluss cargo woolies as well. under 10 bucks a pair at your local vv boutique and warm as hell.

meesemoot
11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I bought a lifetime supply; half a dozen pair of surplus German army pants, from the surplus store on Kingsway, about twenty five years ago. I can't recall what I paid, though 15 bucks each would be close. They have 1960's dates on the tags inside. The quality of the fabric is unreal, not coarse and scratchy like the Canadian issued uniforms I have worn, and with the details and workmanship would likely cost over $500.00 to make today. High wear areas like the leg hems and crotch are reinforced with binding tape and lining, knees are doubled plus lined with a waterproof layer, all pockets have buttoning flaps with hidden buttons. What else?--bellow cargo pockets, waist adjusters, suspender buttons and flaps (canvas inside and wool finished on the show side, of course) and several doodads that I haven't figured out yet, like the metal snaps at the hems, probably to fasten onto boots. The only inconvenience is the button fly, but if you look at some of the highest quality dress pants made today you often find a button fly, so that says something about the quality.

I haven't been there in years, but if it still exists, it would be worth checking for something like these.