PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Bags

Yotapup
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Thinking of buying one this weekend for the hunting trip to Boston Bar. Curious to know what people think of them or of any success. Obviously the idea here is, the less to carry the better without sacrificing TOO much quality.

Thanks in advance

-Pup

.300WSMImpact!
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I have one, and use it all the time, it works good for me, called a buck in a mule deer yesterday, and great success last year with whitetail

ruger#1
11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Get a rattle bag. If you have to use antlers then file the tips of them blunt. I find the rattle bag works just as good as antlers and is easier to carry. Get a long can doe in heat bleat to use with the rattle bag. I have used them on mule deer and blacktails and they do work but not all the time. So you just have to use a little patience.

jdubhunter
11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
the less to carry the better, antlers are awkward to carry around in the bush. I've had success with my rattle bags would not go back to using antlers.

twoSevenO
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
i just bought a rattle bag at wholesale sports yesterday. Hunting some really thick stuff and i bought it to try and call one out into view.

Do you guys have some tips on what you do. More specifically, if you sit down, do you wait to start to rattle? do you start of loud and go quieter? How often do you repeat the sequence and how long do you make each "session" last?

Yotapup
11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
What you pay for it from Wholesale? I'm lookin to get mine from Canadian Tire cause it's the cheapest to find yet. Couldn't find it on Wholesale's website.

Thanks for all the insite though everyone else. If it's that effective, I'll definitely be buying one. Cheaper, smaller, more efficient... hells yes!

nomad
11-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Saw something to do with this posted recently, someone commented to say he took the wood dowel out and cut up some old antler and put them in to improve the sound. I think I'll be making one myself rather than buying it! Going to try it on some blacktails this weekend!

Mountain Man
11-02-2010, 11:24 PM
There great, better than smashing your frozen thumbs on the tines.

Ruger4
11-03-2010, 06:43 AM
There great, better than smashing your frozen thumbs together.

your not suppose to use your thumbs :confused::eek::rolleyes:

LYKTOHUNT
11-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Saw something to do with this posted recently, someone commented to say he took the wood dowel out and cut up some old antler and put them in to improve the sound. I think I'll be making one myself rather than buying it! Going to try it on some blacktails this weekend!
That was me however I did not get much response from my post, 113 views one reply ( thanks ruger #1) anyhoo I cut some tips off some old antlers and put them in a sock and it sounds ok . I noticed on a friends commercial produced ratttle bag that the synthetic type bars had holes drilled in them, I am thinking that maybe that may produce a more hollow sound so I might try drilling some holes in a couple of the bigger tines and see how that works. If any one wants to give up some hints on rattling techniques I am all ears , well maybe eyes.
I would have just bought one but there is none in town where I live.

ruger#1
11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
When i rattle. I do it for a minute Then bang the bag on the ground. It has to sound like they are banging their antlers together, Stop and stomp the ground with a branch to sound like their feet are hitting the ground. Throw in the odd doe bleat. I bought my rattle bag from CA tire. It was around $ 14.99. Used to use antlers but it was a pain dragging them around. When you made your rattle bag, Did you cut the antlers different lengths? If you did then they sound better.

twoSevenO
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
What you pay for it from Wholesale? I'm lookin to get mine from Canadian Tire cause it's the cheapest to find yet. Couldn't find it on Wholesale's website.

Thanks for all the insite though everyone else. If it's that effective, I'll definitely be buying one. Cheaper, smaller, more efficient... hells yes!

I bought it from Wholesale sports here in Langley, and i paid $17.99 for it.

Yotapup
11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Damn, and I thought they were supposed to sell things about the same, if not cheaper. I'll buy mine from Cambodian Tire. Saves me some time too :D

.300WSMImpact!
11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I know the archery store in kelowna has many different kinds, for elk, moose, larger sounding and small deer, that would be the difference from canadian tire and wholesale sports

Yotapup
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah, if it saved me gas I'd go to Whole sale... But I work in Aldergrove, live in Abbotsford... for 14.99 I'll go to CT lol

Thanks for all the reviews everyone, Much appreciated!
-Pup

ThinAir
11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Check out the "pack rack" by Knight and Hale. I bought it at crappy tire for about 20 bucks.

I haven't used it in the field...but it I like it better than the bags already. I'm impressed with the amount of noise it produces, and the range of sounds it makes. Packs small too.

Yotapup
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I'll check it out. Thanks.

I'm trying to keep a budget, so we'll see how it goes.