PDA

View Full Version : going to Clearwater for mule deer.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-02-2010, 02:36 AM
which areas do you guys recommend? only have a camper and truck no atv.

thanks
SS

dana
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Good luck. You are going to need it. See my posts in the Worst Hunter Thread. A ton of locals are in the same boat as me. A few have had some luck being in the right place at the right time, but the vast majority have been seeing about the same as me, not much.

frenchbar
11-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Good luck. You are going to need it. See my posts in the Worst Hunter Thread. A ton of locals are in the same boat as me. A few have had some luck being in the right place at the right time, but the vast majority have been seeing about the same as me, not much.

Talked to some hunters at the motel in CW on sunday and they basically said the same thing Steve ..not much sightings of any deer .

JNT
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Are you going to Clearwater because that is where the biggest bucks in BC are?

dana
11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Every local I talk to all say the same. I don't really know what is going on. I had a thread on Monster Muleys last month about it. In the last Muley Crazy Magazine there was an article by Dr. Charles E. Kay entitled, Predation and the Ecology of Fear. It might be the answer to what we are experiencing here. While we've always had wolves, in the last few years they have really exploded. The counts are through the roof. I don't think they've eaten all the deer, rather the deer are being very very secretive and are hiding very well in the thick stuff. Harder for the wolves to kill them there. In a year like this we've had a ton of sunshine and a ton of moisture which means amazing veg growth. The deer can get all they need in the thick #hit without exposing themselves in openings. All movement is pretty much restricted to the night. I personally have never seen a noctural pattern like this last so long. I lost the deer completely in early July. I have hunted high and low and everywhere in between. Seeing deer sign, just no deer. I thought maybe the migration would kick them out of this pattern, but the snows haven't hit hard yet. Normally the high country has several feet by now. Currently it might have a couple of inches if we are lucky.

BCrams
11-02-2010, 05:17 PM
which areas do you guys recommend? only have a camper and truck no atv.

thanks
SS

You should listen to a few key verses of the gambler.....

'know when to walk away ....'

I'm not hunting Clearwater this year as it stands right now.

I'd look to Region 4 and Region 8 for the hottest mule deer hunting in BC right now.

dana
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I wasn't planning on hunting Clearwater this year for myself either. Thought it would be a piece of cake to get my 12 year old daughter on a small buck with her Jr. Licence. 2 months in and she's only seen one buck way back in the first week of Sept that was way too far for a shot. My son, who is known to whack and stack hasn't even seen a buck this year. Hard to keep the kids motivated when you can go an entire weekend and only see 1 doe. You expect that every now and then, but you don't expect the hunting to be that bad for 2 months straight. At least this year was an amazing grouse year. Both kids have done very well on the chickens.

JNT
11-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Where exactly in region 4 or 8 can someone find the Hottest mule deer hunting? I need to find a spot that is really, really Hot with Huge mule deer like Clearwater............for a taste of whiskey could you give us some advise?

dana
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Here is a link to the Monster Muleys thread I started last month.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/20419.html

rocksteady
11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Don't believe them......It's the reverse psychology thing...:wink:

Nope..No deer around here....:confused: (They are just standing around in every cutblock, dumb as a railway spike, waiting to be plucked out of the ground like a friggin carrot...:-D).....

Maybe too much hunting pressure after you posted mass'n'trash last year Dana???

Gunner Staal
11-02-2010, 05:56 PM

I'd look to Region 4 and Region 8 for the hottest mule deer hunting in BC right now.

8 hasn't been much better boys. Seeing very few deer. Dana basically spoke my mind. Im seeing tons of sign but no deer. Even in open area where you would think you can see them. I think the lack of snow up high is playing a major role. My fingers are crossed for cold shitty weather this week but its not looking that way. I think its gonna be a tough hunt here in 8...well my area of it anyway.

Islandeer
11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
nothin in reg 4. Im only going there for the girls.....

betteroffishing
11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
this interests me as after a week spent in 8-6{ our 6th year there
} with not manysightings for deer and no bulls , we committed to change up our local for next year . clearwater is to be our new spot. your not seeing any deer or moose up there either ?? thats disapointing.

dana
11-02-2010, 06:03 PM
It has nothing to do with hunting presure.
Last year there were a ton of Clearwater hunters that got skunked as well. I was busy hunting moose in Blue all Oct and didn't realize how hard it was for the deer hunters. By Nov I was in big buck phase and I'm used to not seeing much when hunting the big boys. Near the end of the season I was talking with one of the local CO's and he told me he barely checked any bucks last year. He said he talked to a ton of out-of-towners that have hunted here for years. They were so discouraged they said they were never coming back. The locals I talked to all believed the wolves ate all the deer. Even ran into a trapper in the Adams last Nov and he had caught several wolves by then. He went on and on how there were no deer left and he was going to walk into the Ministry in Kamloops and demand they shut the deer hunt down. :mrgreen: Funny thing was he was telling me how fat all the wolves he caught were and how he caught one with a collar that came all the way from the Cariboo. Hmmm, if all the deer were dead, wouldn't the wolves be starving instead of being fat? And why would a wolf travel to the Adams from the Cariboo if there were no deer and moose left? I worked out in the Adams most of the late winter early spring and I saw a ton of deer then. They just weren't showing themselves during the fall. The wolves maybe an issue. But only due to the pressure they put on the deer. To stay alive, the deer adapt by staying in the thick $hit and feeding at night.

hunterkid15
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Ive been hunting clearwater for 10years now and this is by far the slowest deer season ive seen to date. With only a couple small four points and the other few being spikes and two points the "monster clearwater muley" is something far over-rated.

dana
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Ive been hunting clearwater for 10years now and this is by far the slowest deer season ive seen to date. With only a couple small four points and the other few being spikes and two points the "monster clearwater muley" is something far over-rated.

Sounds like you've seen quite a bit more than me. I wish I could have at least seen a couple spikes so I could have got my daughter her first buck. Oh well, there is always next year.

hunterkid15
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Well myself have only seen roughly 15 does and one 3pt buck which i took home :) the other bucks are just friends that have been lucky to stumble across anything with antlers

steveo32
11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I moved to clearwater last winter thinking that now finally i could put some pressure on dana and maybe whack another hog, but so far this year i have seen a hand full of 4points none being what i call a shooter and maybe 20 does. Finally gave up and when back to hunting in barrier, It is no secret that the burn holds big deer so why drive the extra 35 min to clearwater when i am driving that distance to hunt the burn. If you dont mind walking i would save a few bucks and hunt barrier, you never know what you are going to run into there.

Last year my brother and i got a 5x5 whitetail that had 5 muley does with him while hunting in the burn! Havent had a day yet down there where i havent seen bucks!

hope this helps

steve

rocksteady
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
It has nothing to do with hunting presure.

I was just trying to push your buttons Dana...:wink::wink: I know you don't play the mind games :-D

MuleyMadness
11-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I wonder if its got anything to do with the incredible vegetation we have seen this year in region 3. Perhaps because of the massive amount of available food the animals aren't having to travel so much or concentrate at all in order to get high quality/high quantity feed. That doesn't explain all of it of course, but it may be why we are seeing fewer animals in the open or on the move at dawn/dusk...because they don't need to go far to meet their needs...I dunno, just theorizing but I have been in 3, 5, and 7 this year and not seeing a lot of quality deer (or even okay bucks). I first began noticing a lack of game this year during spring bear hunting, and thought maybe because of all the great feed out there the animals weren't being at least semi concentrated based on food source. I'm sure predation is playing a role too..around the loops we are seeing an explosion of cats, and more wolf sign than I have seen in 20+ years of hunting here. Could be either, could be both, or I could be out to lunch....but I suspect not.

dana
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I was just trying to push your buttons Dana...:wink::wink: I know you don't play the mind games :-D

Yup I've been known to play head games especially with the likes of Jelvis who has spent years trying to figure out where I hunt. The funny thing is I hunt many if not most of the areas Jelvis posts up. Alot of those areas have been really good to me in the past. This year all my spots have had sign, just no deer. I've also done a lot of exploring hitting 'new to me' areas and have found just the same.
I've said it many times before and I say it again. It doesn't bother me if hunters come to Clearwater to hunt. I have the personal knowledge of 19 years of hunting and working in the bush around the Clearwater area and that is a huge advantage. If you are not local you have a big disadvantage. There are many that come here expecting to see 180 bucks behind every tree. The truth of the matter is there is NO WHERE on this earth where 180 bucks are common. If the gold chasers come, they will be disappointed, especially this year.

dana
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I wonder if its got anything to do with the incredible vegetation we have seen this year in region 3. Perhaps because of the massive amount of available food the animals aren't having to travel so much or concentrate at all in order to get high quality/high quantity feed. That doesn't explain all of it of course, but it may be why we are seeing fewer animals in the open or on the move at dawn/dusk...because they don't need to go far to meet their needs...I dunno, just theorizing but I have been in 3, 5, and 7 this year and not seeing a lot of quality deer (or even okay bucks). I first began noticing a lack of game this year during spring bear hunting, and thought maybe because of all the great feed out there the animals weren't being at least semi concentrated based on food source. I'm sure predation is playing a role too..around the loops we are seeing an explosion of cats, and more wolf sign than I have seen in 20+ years of hunting here. Could be either, could be both, or I could be out to lunch....but I suspect not.

I think you're on to something there. This past winter was really really mild, and the bucks didn't even concentrate on the winter range. Heck the early spring was so green, most were scattered from high to low by the time they dropped their headgear. The summer was hot but it was also wet. Lots of moisture mixed with lots of sun and you have a recipe for amazing veg growth. The lack of cold this fall combined with good moisture has meant the green is still strong even now. Heck, my lawn has never been so lush, still have my son cutting it every week.

Another thing I've been theorizing is the back to back El Nino and La Nena. Back in 97/98 and 98/99 we had similiar hunting conditions. World weather patterns have been known to effect wildlife.

pnbrock
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
From what I heard the winter before last came with some substantial winter kill. The locals said there were dead deer all over.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM

yes i did, and .... i'm still going .... :-D

Talked to some hunters at the motel in CW on sunday and they basically said the same thing Steve ..not much sightings of any deer .

:mrgreen:

Are you going to Clearwater because that is where the biggest bucks in BC are?

really? around Dutch lake i suspect ....

all the best!

Don't believe them......It's the reverse psychology thing...:wink:

Nope..No deer around here....:confused: (They are just standing around in every cutblock, dumb as a railway spike, waiting to be plucked out of the ground like a friggin carrot...:-D).....

Maybe too much hunting pressure after you posted mass'n'trash last year Dana???

thanks for the confirmation

SimilkameenSlayer
11-02-2010, 07:38 PM
big thanks for all replies!

cheers!

dana
11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Yes there was some winter kill during the 2008/2009 winter. Very localized though. Mainly affected the fawn crop. Not a lot of mature deer died. I can't say I've found many dead deer in all the shed hunting I've done the last 2 springs. I do know that the 2009/2010 winter was extremely mild and I saw tons of does still with twin fawns of the year this April. Should have pretty much bumped the fawn crop back up.

SUAFOYT
11-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Dana, you're right about what's been going on re the deer this season so far. We had a 2 moose shared hunt in 3-40 so have been really putting in some hard hours. Very few moose sightings this year as well. We've been out every day since the last week of September, and hardly any deer sightings at all- not even does. No idea where they were but it's strange for sure. We saw one cow and as of Oct 6th the only other moose we saw was the one my wife got that day:-D. A couple of friends from the coast were up the week after Thanksgiving and they saw nothing until the last 2 days until they each got a spike buck. One in 39 and one in 40. Nothing again until this last weekend we started seeing a lot of does together. The local reports said that a 4x4, a 5x4, and a 6x5 were taken this last weekend. 2 in 38 and one in 39. We were out on Saturday for my last kick at the moose draw and wouldn't you know it we bump into a bull along with an immature together. I filled my tag but the son didn't have a clean shot at the 2 point so he's safe as far as the immy season goes. He got a small 2 point on Sunday in 40. Talked to the trapper who works the Raft River area and he said that last winter he came upon almost 40 wolf kills of deer. So how many didn't he see? Also got a report of a wolf being shot at Mann Lake and we've seen lots of tracks in the Roundtop area. They're certainly out there.

MuleyMadness
11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Definitely predators will play a role, it is said a mature cougar will kill a deer a week, and I would imagine wolves are along the same lines. But I don't think that is all there is to it, because there is still sign...just no animals standing where we expect them to be. Two friends have taken down 4x4 and a 5x4 around here this year, and nothing else. Often we don't shoot mule deer bucks until November when the big boys come out to play, but there hasn't even been anything we needed to make a decision on, which is pretty rare.

I would love to see an extensive predator count done throughout region 3 so we can see what the numbers actually look like. We know they have hit the south parts of region 7 very hard, it's not as though there is an invisible barrier to keep them from coming down here.

Gunner Staal
11-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Just all the more reason to make sure every dog sighting ends in a "BANG"

pnbrock
11-02-2010, 08:23 PM
i will say i poked around the area in the spring for a bear and was surprised by the size and amount of wolf tracks.

ufishifish2
11-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Wow, Dana is really trying hard to convince us all that Clearwater really sucks this year. If I had any time, I'd be more motivated than ever to head over there this year.
None of the big bucks have been shot yet this year. Odds are that there will be waaaay more big ones around as the rut swings into full action. They can't hide forever!!

jimzuk
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Well I have to agree with what has been said. Every time we get a year with lots of vegetation growth the deer do not get concentrated into certain areas keeping them much more speadout and harder to find. There is alot more wolves around but I have not found any kills that they have caused. Nothing wrong with having a challenging year it makes you appreciate the good ones.

dana
11-02-2010, 08:56 PM
pnbrook,
I can honestly say I've seen wolf sign in every area I've hunted this fall. What I haven't seen a lot of is cougar sign, even in areas I normally see early fall sign. I would suspect the cougars are in the thick crap too. They are a way more efficent predator when it comes to muleys than wolves are.

ufish,
I have been hunting the big boys for many many years. I have indeed seen them hide forever even through the rut. If they have been in a noctural pattern for the last 4 months, why would they not stay in that pattern and rut during the night. Especially if we have the current warm conditions continue. Picture a big ol buck that has been eating lush feed all year and hasn't burned any calories. He'll be very fat. Warm conditions will mean too warm for intense daylight rutting action as it can actually kill a fat buck. IMO the only way you will see these bucks break their current pattern is if we get a $hitload of snow.

If you think I'm just playing a game with these recent posts, by all means, book your holidays and come to Clearwater. Then at the end, have the balls enough to come on HBC and tell us how your hunt went.

Jimzuk,
I agree! A challenging season does make you appreciate the good seasons. Like I told my daughter, there's always next year or the year after or the year after.

BCrams
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow, Dana is really trying hard to convince us all that Clearwater really sucks this year. If I had any time, I'd be more motivated than ever to head over there this year.
None of the big bucks have been shot yet this year. Odds are that there will be waaaay more big ones around as the rut swings into full action. They can't hide forever!!

Fill your boots. Even I'm not going down as it is this year right now.

ufishifish2
11-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Oh you guys, stop being so darned serious about your beautiful hunting area.

dana
11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh you guys, stop being so darned serious about your beautiful hunting area.

What, do you want me to lie to the OP and say everything in Clearwater has been peachy this year?

Again, fill your boots if you want to come here and hunt during the late season. Maybe you'll get lucky. Since my daughter didn't get a deer during the early season, looks like I'll be hunting here during the late season myself. I know I'll be bustin my ass till the bitter end but I'm thinkin this year I might just be buying beef. Have a pig in the freezer already.

TIKA 300
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM

Hunted a couple days north of CW the 2nd weekend of october,seen 2 does in 2 days,when we normally see 10-12 does a day,no fresh sign,very little bear scat to be found also.Went from there to Johnson lake for 3 days and for that effort seen 1 doe,so there are some slim pickins out there.......
Like Dana said,thou the chickens were great !!!

blackbart
11-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Jelly Bean the king of Phsyc. must be loving this thread.

Every region of BC has good and bad years for Grande Muye's. Rather than chasing old dreams look for present ones. Clearwater had a couple of good years (and Steve has no one to blame more than himself for advertising that, and in so doing bringing in the dream chasers), but everything tends to have cycles, and most hunters tend to forget that. Look for the area that will produce this year as opposed to last year, or for that matter twenty years ago. What was last winter like, or the winter before? How was the summer? Etc. etc. etc.

Region 8 produced some crankers last year - why don't we all run there?

The Peace can produce, but what about private land?

Region 5 had a couple of good years, but then the season changed.

Check out the vegetation that Mr. Dana and his crew had success in and ask yourself - Can I really hunt that stuff?? If you are hell bent on going to Clearwater don't hunt the cuts or south facing timber slopes, rather look for some thick and nasty stuff that you would not normally hunt. Meat poles left hanging in the vicinity of said terrain would also be a good hint that you are in the right spot:)

Mr. Dean
11-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I can attest to the wolf sign in the area; LOTTSA big doggy tracks nearly everywhere ya go, along with regular howl fests. When I was up in late September, there were deer but as stated, in the thick shit. I just chocked it up to it still being warm...

.308win
11-03-2010, 05:22 AM

Poor Dana!......No matter what he says......no one will belive him!!!!:wink::mrgreen: I can tell you what Dana and the others have said about the area is true. Not saying a Buck can't be gott'n.......Just don't expect it to happen right away! How ever many days you have booked, make sure have a couple spare ones in your pocket, just incase!! Good luck and all the best on your jurney!!!

Perry

horshur
11-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Poor Dana!......No matter what he says......no one will belive him!!!!:wink::mrgreen: I can tell you what Dana and the others have said about the area is true. Not saying a Buck can't be gott'n.......Just don't expect it to happen right away! How ever many days you have booked, make sure have a couple spare ones in your pocket, just incase!! Good luck and all the best on your jurney!!!

Perry

if he lies he is telling the truth if he tells the truth he lies...

ufishifish2
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Having basically the same job as Dana, I too get to be in the bush almost every day of the year. I have also observed what he is talking about. I believe him, but just can't miss the opportunity to tease anybody saying that hunting sucks in their own back yard. I think we'd all say it on the World Wide Web if possible.
P.S.-There are no deer in Falkland. GO's shot them all out!

pnbrock
11-03-2010, 10:36 AM
what the heck ?no deer ,i thought Dana was going to walk me right up to his honey hole.didnt that big non typical in other thread come out of your back yard with hundreds to choose from.

luckofthedraw
11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I too had a similar experience to what this post is spewing. Spent a week hunting clear water. Covered so much country. Ran into 3 does, and 2 moose. (bull/cow with no draw). Saw a fair amount of track. Heard a decent size pack of wolves take down a kill the first night we got there. (should have backed out then). A few factors to the scarce animals in my opinion. 1) the weather has not been cold enough to force the animals to stay out late feeding. 2) The vegitation there is great for them, allowing them to feed in the thick where they have better cover. 3) The wolves have them very nervous. I too have hunted the area a bunch over the years....I think it's time to give the area a break...on my way to merritt later this week.

Kirby
11-03-2010, 11:10 AM
what the heck ?no deer ,i thought Dana was going to walk me right up to his honey hole.didnt that big non typical in other thread come out of your back yard with hundreds to choose from.

for 100 bucks I'll e-mail you GPS co-ordinates off his map of where the big bucks were killed.

pnbrock
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Really!!!!!!

pnbrock
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Kirby I'll sweatin the deal and trade the golden ears bridge with rights to royalties for that map

Wild Images
11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
We were fortunate enough to hunt the Clearwater area years ago before it became a hunting destination for many.
We took some very nice bucks from the area and a few moose and cougars as well. Went back two seasons ago for a look and will have to agree with Dana that the deer population is all but gone to the wolves.
In a week we saw some small bucks and wolf kills and sign almost everywhere we went. Favorite timber patches held little to no deer.
Gives a guy a reason to explore new areas and find new honey holes, like sheep hunting I don't like going to the same place all the time, it's kinda nice not knowing whats over the next hill.
If you find such a place hunt it for a bit then start looking for anouther, for myself Clearwater is off the list as it has taken a big hit for sure.
Dana, good luck getting your daughter her first- it will happen, she has earned it !!

dunbartr
11-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Having basically the same job as Dana, I too get to be in the bush almost every day of the year. I have also observed what he is talking about. I believe him, but just can't miss the opportunity to tease anybody saying that hunting sucks in their own back yard. I think we'd all say it on the World Wide Web if possible.
P.S.-There are no deer in Falkland. GO's shot them all out!

Ufish, don't you have a newborn to take of by now?!?!

bearhands
11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
hey all.
first time posting, been readin the forums for a while, great source of info.

anyways back to the topic.
i just got back from clearwater today, was up visiting some family, who happen to have a farm on and accross from round top road.this is my first year hunting, but have spent lots of time in the woods. found lots and lots of sign but didnt see any wild life. a couple years ago i saw lots of deer and black bears but this year nuthing.i did hear that it was a busy spring and summer. my cousin saw about a dozen deer, a hand full of bears and even a spike moose walking down the thompson river. but this last week that i was up there, not a thing. but i did find a couple nice places to check out next year. never a wasted trip it seems.
seems to be the same story down on the sunshine coast. i've been going to the coast for a couple years now and have seen lots of bears, deer, and the occasional elk. but this year i spent the last week and a bit around halfmoon bay and salmon inlet and didnt see a thing.
guess we need a nice long cold winter to keep the veg down in the woods.

bearhands (doug)

oh yeah, guess i need a joke to make my first post official

Two guys are out duck hunting, but they were'nt getting nuthing. “What do you think the problem is?” one guy asked his buddy. “I dunno,” came the reply, “Maybe we aren’t throwing the dog up high enough.”

Deadshot
11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
hey all.
first time posting, been readin the forums for a while, great source of info.

anyways back to the topic.
i just got back from clearwater today, was up visiting some family, who happen to have a farm on and accross from round top road.this is my first year hunting, but have spent lots of time in the woods. found lots and lots of sign but didnt see any wild life. a couple years ago i saw lots of deer and black bears but this year nuthing.i did hear that it was a busy spring and summer. my cousin saw about a dozen deer, a hand full of bears and even a spike moose walking down the thompson river. but this last week that i was up there, not a thing. but i did find a couple nice places to check out next year. never a wasted trip it seems.
seems to be the same story down on the sunshine coast. i've been going to the coast for a couple years now and have seen lots of bears, deer, and the occasional elk. but this year i spent the last week and a bit around halfmoon bay and salmon inlet and didnt see a thing.
guess we need a nice long cold winter to keep the veg down in the woods.

bearhands (doug)

oh yeah, guess i need a joke to make my first post official

Two guys are out duck hunting, but they were'nt getting nuthing. “What do you think the problem is?” one guy asked his buddy. “I dunno,” came the reply, “Maybe we aren’t throwing the dog up high enough.”
Welcome to the forum, Dana jr. :wink:
I'm just gonna hunt said burn this year.

Husky7mm
11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds just like the wolf shy Yukon Mule deer Valerius Geist talks about in his book. That and the good old www putting extra hunters in the area the last 5 yrs or so can make for some tough hunting. A few more years of that and everyone will flock somewere else, hopfully the wolf situation will change.

421fighter
11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
I have hunted the Vavenby area since the late 40's, and haven't ever seen so few deer. Ever. Although we only hunted a couple of days this year, I didn't see but one pile of bear scat, either. And, yes, I road hunt. But I have seen a whole whack of does while doing so. There were just a few last year, and just one in daylight this year. Something must have eaten them. Those wolf tracks aren't there for nothing. Dave

Piperdown
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Get out the folks, enjoy this great province of ours, beats sitting at home. Good luck to all of you!

Salty
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
That's exactly what I'm going to do day after tomorrow, the weather's changing - off to the interior - 8)

farside
11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
When I was in that general area it was not to bad (early Oct). Hunted at about 5000 to 5400 feet for most of the time. Saw deer every day but not like a few years back. Also saw lots of dog tracks again this year. Weather was WARM and clear which made for nice camping. Saw enough deer and a tremendous amount of sign that I really didn't explore other areas that I had planned to. South facing slope was the best which suprised me as it was so warm. Also noticed the food supply was abundant compared to previous visits. 1 tiny lil bear and he gum booted it outta site quick.

Ended it off with a great 4x4 (For me that is) but could have done that on day 1 in the 1st hour of daylight on a 2x2.

But this was not Clearwater, just in that general area. Dana pretty much knows where I was. Perfect camping spot by the way Dana. Beautiful, quiet. Oh - and had an elderly couple keepin tabs on me incase I didnt return in the evenings. The old fella was worried about a "girl" being out all alone. Which just proves that I am still a youngun to a person in there 80's lol.

Guess I should post up a pic and story