PDA

View Full Version : November hunting - how is it different ?

JAFA
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Hey lads,

7 times out this season and NADA on the ground, but man we have had some fun :mrgreen:.

So the question as described in the subject line...

In real terms how does the November hunt differ from the rest of the season?

Please be as specific as you can, elevation, methods, migration routes etc basically all your reasoning as to where you hunt and why.

Give us newbies all the help and advise we would need, short of tying a hog to a stump and giving the GPS co-ordinates (in this case PM me :-D)

Thanks Jim.

M.Dean
11-01-2010, 07:12 PM
In November look for Does, thats what all the Bucks are doing! If you do find a group, watch real close, some where in the surrounding area is a buck, or bucks! Watch the does for as long as possible, if they do run, wait and watch, there very well could be bucks following there scent! In some cases, if you see tracks in the snow, wandering the roads and trails, zig zaging all over the place, it very well could be a buck track, he's smelling the ground trying to find a doe in heat! If you find a spot with lots of track and no deer, hike around a bit, see if there all just over the next hill, or maybe in the new growth trees! I find most of the bucks around here in the newly planted area's. Some trees are 3 or 4 feet high, some are now 8 or 10 feet, making it hard to see into, so what I do is find spots where I can see into the trees and glass lots, looking for that huge 4 point! Good Luck, and don't give up, there out there, you just have to find them!!!

JAFA
11-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Do you find elevation to be an issue?

cainer
11-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I'd say elevation is definitely an issue. especially when factoring in snowfall accumulation. when the snow gets deep, they'll start to move down-but just cuz it's deep for us, doesn't necessarily mean the same for them...keep that in mind.

Buckmeister
11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
November hunting??? I LOVE it and hate it.
I only hate it a little bit when the snow gets too deep to reach the areas where the big boys are.
I love it cause the action gets better. Snow on the ground makes for some fun in tracking. If your doing some still (walking) hunting, due to the weather and conditions, your traverse can often be quiet. And....the bucks get stupid when they are with a hot doe.

Chuck
11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
November hunting??? I LOVE it and hate it.
I only hate it a little bit when the snow gets too deep to reach the areas where the big boys are.
I love it cause the action gets better. Snow on the ground makes for some fun in tracking. If your doing some still (walking) hunting, due to the weather and conditions, your traverse can often be quiet. And....the bucks get stupid when they are with a hot doe.

I'd agree with this and I especially like the soft silent snow, calm and quiet days.