PDA

View Full Version : anybody shoot a buck twice, through the same hole?

4ptbuck
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I recently shot a buck, nothing special, classic road hunting story.

I pretty sure I hit it twice.
On the first shot, it hunched up and started to get wonky looking.
I took a second shot. I shoot a BAR, so the second came pretty quick. My quick theory is that if it is standing, keep on shooting.

Well, on the second shot, it dropped like a ton of bricks.

Post mortem is only showing 1 through and through. I was expecting 2 holes. The shot was a little/a lot far back. I blew up the tenderloins.

The entrance hole, was not the classic round hole. It was fairly large.

Do you think I shot the deer through the same hole?
Has anybody else done it?

I think what happen for me, was the first hit was too far back. Second shot the same, but a bit highter, and shocked the spine, as it wasn't broke.

thoughts?

takla1
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I shoot a bull moose years ago twice in the head and the bullet holes came out two seperate spaces.both went in just ubove the left eye,one exited down thru his lower jaw and blow his tougue apart,the other bullet exited out his nect,little direrent angle he stood at after the first shot i guess

lightmag
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
it's possible, my question is how do you make the exact same "poor" shot twice? either your gun is waaaaay off or you consistently pull hard 1 way or another?? did you not put the cross hairs on the 'target area" on both shots? or did you just squeeze the second shot off as fast as you could????

4 point
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Two shots through the exact same entry point! Iam having a tough time getting my head around that. It is certainly not impossible though.

4ptbuck
11-01-2010, 03:52 PM
I thought this question may come up. I carefully aimed both shots, off a steady rest. I've got a feeling the gun may be off. I've fired the gun all year round, and sat down and sighted it in, or more accureatly, verified prior to the season. I don't recall falling or dropping the rifle.

One of the next thing to do, when I am out is to re-verify zero.

rugeer
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
shot a muley once it leaned up against a tree,never found a bullit hole

stitch
11-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I've shot one and the only thing between the two holes was a rib...that's good grouping in my eyes

huntersam
11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I thought this question may come up. I carefully aimed both shots, off a steady rest. I've got a feeling the gun may be off. I've fired the gun all year round, and sat down and sighted it in, or more accureatly, verified prior to the season. I don't recall falling or dropping the rifle.

One of the next thing to do, when I am out is to re-verify zero.

same thing happened to me, didn't drop it or anything but my .270 was suddenly off one day. think it must of worked its way out from the rattling around on the quad, not to sure though.
if you do ride around on bikes or quads with it alot make sure the bolts are always tight to, once had one rattle its self loose and fall out from under the stock.

steel_ram
11-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd guess one of the two shots hit, probably the first, and the second and it going down was coincidental.

A quick second shot, your (at least I am) in a bit of a shock from rifle concussion and recoil. Things momentarily are in a adrenalin state of blur.

Shooter
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Well last year I shot a deer standing broadside to me. I felt great about the shot because I had a terrinfic rest and the shot was about 50 yards. However the deer took two hops off toward my left side and then circled up the slash and was walking back to the right. So I shot again. First shot, if hit would hit the left side of the deer. Second shot would hit the right side. After the second shot he ran about 20 yards and piled up. When I was skinning him out I found both holes were about an inch apart, right behind the shoulder. Each side had an entrance and an exit side by side. I can't believe he didn't drop on the first shot because he was liquified inside.

11-01-2010, 07:04 PM
it's possible, my question is how do you make the exact same "poor" shot twice? either your gun is waaaaay off or you consistently pull hard 1 way or another?? did you not put the cross hairs on the 'target area" on both shots? or did you just squeeze the second shot off as fast as you could????

hahaha.
x2

troutseeker
11-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I did it once and on the second shot I completely missed the vitals. Good thing I took them out with the first round!

M@B
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
My first deer ever when I was a kid took two shots. upon skinning him out the entrance hole looked like a figure 8 and one big nasty exit hole. that's as close as I can say I've seen to two shots in the same hole.

dougan
11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I shot one in the #2 hole once!!!!!!

scallywag
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
is your browning even capable of putting two bullets into the same hole... hahahaha

JCVD
11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Shot a doe one time, she flipped over lungs blown out and got up and starting walking away...I drilled her again....same thing....15 yards she finally stays down. Went up to her one entrance hole, quarter sized, 2 exit holes the size of baseballs. Toughest deer I have yet shot.

BlacktailStalker
11-02-2010, 12:50 AM
A buck no, a bull elk yes @ 307 yards.
First 6pt I ever shot.
I call it "standing dead."

I have heard of one guy putting a 4 shot 6" group in a roosevelt when he thought he was missing... :shock:

4ptbuck
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Honestly, It's rare on paper to get 2 shot that close with the Browning.

Just with the way the deer was reacting, makes me quite positive I hit it twice.

Like I said, on the first shot, it hunched up, and started to get wobbly. With the second shot, it dropped like a ton of bricks.

I do believe it's on the second shot that I blew up the tenderloins, hence the spine shock and dropping. I haven't seen a deer go from wobbly to drop right there. They usually 'tip over'.

I am also pretty sure I didn't miss with the first, as i was looking at a sick deer.

Hmmm

bushpig slayer
11-02-2010, 08:32 AM
i got a funny story a buddy of mine really spooked an old black bear it ran he shot it fell end of story but when we got to it there was no hole yet he was dead.heart attack? we got home skinned it not one hole or bruising like a bad shot to the head caved skull no blood shot anywhere nothing the only explanation we can come up with is heart attack,still to this day i don't know and would of never believed it if i wasn't there.

bearslayer01
11-02-2010, 09:44 AM
shot a bear for sure 2 times this year at 260 m and there wasnt even a hole yet the bear was piled up apon inspection first shot is still unknown but the second one deffinately went down his mouth wide open.. No shot there was a hol at the back of his mouth and the skull was broken and falling apart on the inside at the top. Really weird considering i hit him both times all i can come up with is 2 bullets down the moth equils dead bear...wtf

damascusdave
11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I once shot a deer in the back of the head from a bit over a hundred yards with a 180 grain 30 cal bullet. There was no visible exit hole. To this day I have no idea where that bullet ended up.

DDave

JNT
11-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I shot a buck 4 times and accidentally shot off all of the points on it's antlers before it dropped. It started as a 4 point, but when I was done I wasn't sure whether to cancel my tag for antlered or antlerless.