PDA

View Full Version : What SPOT messages?

pete_k
11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
With the new SPOT. You are allowed to send up to two preprogrammed messages to 10 recipients.

The 10 recipients are also able to receive your GPS location every 10 minutes if you enable your track feature.

Question is:
What would your two pre-programmed messages be?

BlacktailStalker
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Mine is set up as;

1. Just letting you know everything is fine and I am well.

2. Animal down! Talk to you soon.

3. I need assistance (mechanical) or I am stuck.
If I send this three times in a row I need a tow

4. Emerg help.

troutseeker
11-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I too would have an I'm ok no worries message and a beast on the ground bring you packframe and headlamp message.

I have the first generation Spot and my buds know to only expect an ok message early morning and/or late evening. If they get the ok message followed by the non emergency help message that means I've got meat down and need a hand.

srupp
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
hmm on the first gen units it was dependent on Time..at a certain TIME Susan knew what it meant by checking in at say EXACTLY 3 PM AND 3:15..we had it written out for her..:wink:

these new units I select the custom messages differently based on each particular hunt..

ie ready for plane pickup...:mrgreen:

Steven

SPOT CANADA REP

Ozone
11-01-2010, 05:59 PM
1. I am ok, just checking in.

2. This one changes as to what I am doing ie hunting, sailing, exploring the world on my motorcycle, etc, etc

rocksteady
11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
1) "I will be over in a bit, I told the wife I was going hunting....She is so stupid...Whatcha wearing sweety??? Want me to pick up some wine???"

2) "Be home in a bit, hiked forever, never got anything though...Don't wait up....I will probably just have shower and go to be, cause I am all sweaty and spilled apple juice all over me....Luv You my darling wife"

troutseeker
11-01-2010, 07:26 PM
1) "I will be over in a bit, I told the wife I was going hunting....She is so stupid...Whatcha wearing sweety??? Want me to pick up some wine???"

2) "Be home in a bit, hiked forever, never got anything though...Don't wait up....I will probably just have shower and go to be, cause I am all sweaty and spilled apple juice all over me....Luv You my darling wife"

Haha, plan on staying hitched long?:-D

mark
11-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Thats pretty good rocky, hope you dont send the wrong one to the wife! :shock:

pearljam
11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Mine is set up as;

1. Just letting you know everything is fine and I am well.

2. Animal down! Talk to you soon.

3. I need assistance (mechanical) or I am stuck.
If I send this three times in a row I need a tow

4. Emerg help.

mines set up the same...........

J_T
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Mine is set up with two messages:
1) All is well, wish you were here.
2) If you receive this, I'm fine, however I could use some help.

With the last message, I have contact people receiving the message, that know who to contact, where I am and likely what to do.

buck nash
11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I've read that the next generation of spots will allow you to send a 60 character text message. Doesn't have to be predetermined message just text like you would with a cell phone.

Can't wait for that to come out. I've always thought that they should have a display so you can use it to navigate. seems the technology could easily be incorperated and then you wouldn't need to carry two seprate gps's.

buck nash
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Was that apple juice or tuna caserol on your lap rocksteady?:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Can't wait for that to come out. I've always thought that they should have a display so you can use it to navigate. seems the technology could easily be incorperated and then you wouldn't need to carry two seprate gps's.

They will do this after the 3rd generation SPOT.
Its how they get people to buy again.
The one you can format your text in the field on is $550...

rocksteady
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Thats pretty good rocky, hope you dont send the wrong one to the wife! :shock:

Do you really think I can hunt as hard as I do (with the amount of posts/pictures of successful hunts) that I could handle having a wife and a girlfriend????? NO way...Bad enough living with one woman with mood swings, who the hell would want to try that with 2...or more ??????

model88
11-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Mine is set up as follows:

Everything is ok

Gunna be late, but dont worry, if you get this again, send the troops

bigwhiteys
11-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Delorme has already put out a GPS with built in SPOT and Text Messaging system. I am working on getting a unit to review for my website.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10741

Carl

twenty_to_three
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
With the new SPOT. You are allowed to send up to two preprogrammed messages to 10 recipients. Ten recipients? I was led to believe a while ago it was far fewer. Maybe things have changed since. The fact these SPOT things are real assets has not changed though.

RJ
11-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Ten recipients? I was led to believe a while ago it was far fewer. Maybe things have changed since. The fact these SPOT things are real assets has not changed though.

You can go on the website and change all the setting on the account. I just set mine up tonight. Sent myself a message to see how close it would get and it put the dot right on my house. Pretty awesome. I feel a lot better about being 20 or 30 km from cell service, small price to pay for big peace of mind.

buck nash
11-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Delorme has already put out a GPS with built in SPOT and Text Messaging system. I am working on getting a unit to review for my website.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10741

Carl

Looks pretty good but looks like it's still 2 seperate units. Is it?
If so then I'm not seeing an advantage over having my garmin and a spot except for the texting part which is actually very cool. But I'd still like to see it wrapped up in one piece.

pete_k
11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
NO way...Bad enough living with one woman with mood swings, who the hell would want to try that with 2...or more ??????

Ahhh Rock. Yer such a romantic.