PDA

View Full Version : Hunter missing in Christian Valley

Philcott
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
There is a hunter overdue from the Christian Valley. If anyone was hunting there this past weekend please read the link below to see if you have any information.

He is a novice hunter and was out on his own. I sure hope he finds his way home.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/106459293.html?c=y&curSection=/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle&curTitle=BC+News&bc09=true

Catalin Mihalache, a 39-year-old Port Coquitlam resident, left for the Christian Valley area on Friday and last had contact with his wife by phone around 12:30 p.m. that day to say he was in the Rendell Creek area.
When he left, he had enough food and water for two days, and was scheduled to return home on Sunday.

His wife contacted Kelowna RCMP at 2:30 this morning to report him missing after he didn't return as planned.

Police say he was driving a red 1992 Ford Lariat pickup, licence number CW3957, and that they will focus their search efforts in the Big White area.

pete_k
11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
CV is busy, busy. Too bad there is no way to get word out to all the hunters in the area. They should post a person at each end of the CV to advise hunters to be on the lookout.

11-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Hate hearing that.
Hope he is just turned around a bit and finds his way out.

J-F
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I hope he's well equipped to spend the night outside... I hate hearing that kind of stories too, they happen still too often.

I've been running around in the bush for already a few years, but I thank my wife for giving me a GPS on my birthday (guess I'm still worth more alive than dead!). Despite being in a relatively well know area to me, I managed to get off-tracked last Saturday. I would still have made it back to the truck, but later and after a few tensed moments. That simple GPS unit (the cheap yellow Garmin eTrex, around 110$) is enough to reassure you and allow you to take desicions with a cool head. And if I get competely lost, no problem, it'll take me back.

The modern men we are have lost some woodsmanship...

2slow
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Why would they focus on the big white area? That is where you get cell reception out of in the CV but its a long way from where he was calling from last. Just got back from there on friday.

pete_k
11-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Why would they focus on the big white area? That is where you get cell reception out of in the CV but its a long way from where he was calling from last. Just got back from there on friday.

His last cell phone call was made within a 10km radius of the Big White tower.
A million roads on the west side of CV.
Is OSAC involved yet?

goatdancer
11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Snowed up Big White on the weekend, don't know about the CV. There are a few spots in the CV where you can get reception from the cell tower at Big White. Hope they find him soon.

BlacktailStalker
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Hopefully just a truck problem or something.

Gunner Staal
11-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Man it makes me sick hearing this. I know we all do it but hunting alone can be dangerous. No matter how expensive your GPS is, how much food you bring or how experienced you are, one slip and a broken ankle or leg can cost you your life if no one finds you. I know that where I was this weekend it was a "no fall" zone. If they can say he was within 10km of the tower thats a great start. Start hammering FSR's from there. Good luck to Search and Rescue

Hydrojet
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
the article said that the man was to head up rendell...thats east cv...with center mountain in the way. Arthur is high and can hit that tower at big white as soon as you get up above center or past it....10k from that tower is no where close!.....lotsa roads up there too....hopefully he just got stuck or broke down

srupp
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
hmmmm sounds bad....another reason for SPOT...

late season hunting can be dicey..hope it ends well..
Steven

WoodOx
11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
one can get cell service about 1/2 way up arthurs fsr from rendell creek.
about 1/2 up rendell where it turns to goatskin one can also get cell service.

I would expect it to still be busy out there...

2slow
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM
If you can get a line of sight to big white all up and down the CV you have cell reception with 3g data. You can be along way from big white and still tag onto that tower. I am with Srupp if you go alone get a spot. Too many misfortunes can happen from broken ankles to break downs. I hope this turns out well for the missing hunter.

Climbhigher
11-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Hate to hear about stuff like this. Unfortunately we have become completely reliant on electronics. IMO you are crazy to put your life in the the hands of a GPS or a cellphone. Nothing will ever replace knowledge of maps and good quality compass. People are taking more and more risks with little to no backcountry skills, because they feel a GPS will get them back or a SPOT will get them help... batteries die and electronics break. Magnetic north is much more reliable, my GPS is simply a luxury backup item.

2slow
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Knowing which way north is does not help much when you are laying in the bush with a busted ankle. Electronics are not meant to replace knowledge. They are meant as a back up means of getting you out when all else fails.

pete_k
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Good news? I guess. Turns out he was'nt lost.
They found him just before 4pm today near his camp.
They said it may have been miscommunication as to his departure time.

srupp
11-01-2010, 05:10 PM
GREAT NEWS PETE thanks for posting us so soon..

Steven

troutseeker
11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Miscommunication with a wife... Hummm, where did I hear this very recently? Oh yeah, now I remember. Hang on, I am being summoned.

"Yes honey, I'll be right there, no not that stupid CGN again, just checking our banks accounts...."

Caveman
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Must be a case of selective hearing!! Good to hear everything turned out fine

born2hunt
11-01-2010, 09:19 PM
glad to hear he is safe:)

Philcott
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
That could have turned out a lot worse. Glad he's ok.

Th0r
11-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Glad everything turned out Ok. :-D

goatdancer
11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Apparently, his wife kept trying to call him and couldn't reach him. Too used to the city. People have to understand that once you leave the city, cell phone coverage could be spotty at best.

palmer
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
He's gonna get it....or maybe he won't be gettin it for awhile..LOL