PDA

View Full Version : Patterning Game

Grumpa Joe
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Usually, when I go hunting I do research before I go out (Google Earth, topo maps). When I get into the area I want to hunt I confirm that the spot I have ID is actually suitable and not occupied by other hunters. I typically park and hike favourable looking areas like ridges and natural travel corridors. I have had success finding and taking animals using these methods.

Due to work and home responsibilities I usually end up doing 1 or 2 day hunts. Because of this I haven't done a lot of patterning of specific animals. Having spotted an animal that you want to target what are the best ways of patterning the behaviour/daily routine? Are the techniques successful on specific speicies (like mule deer for example) or do they work on various species? If you spot an animal in a particular area at a particular time of day will you likely see them again under the same circumstances on a daily basis or do they cycle every several days?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated as I am trying to expand my knowledge on the various methods of hunting and there are many knowlegeable, experienced hunters on this sight willing to share good information.

Frontier

Jordo
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Trailcams work great for determining when the critters are on the move. Set it up for a few weeks and document when they are going by.

swampthing
11-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Whitetails are creatures of habit, until hunting season . Mulies arnt very patternable. They do get habits but they change. Best bet is to hunt the "area" an animal is known to be in. Ridges are nice to walk on but good bucks learn this about people. try to stay off them. I need to remember to practise what I preach as well. Have fun.

Mr. Dean
11-02-2010, 01:53 AM
I have had decent luck finding mulies in the same area's, but only in the early season.... Find them one day and sure enough, I can get on them again. Same said for black bear (mature boars anywho).

If ya find a gathering of doe's, look for the young-n-stupid bucks (MD). That's almost a guaranteed 'pattern'. lol

Yote's seem to run a pattern. If you can get 'in tune' with them, they'll be in the same area again in a week or so, in the winter months.

NEVER skyline your self!