PDA

View Full Version : Found this today

338 winmag
10-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Was out hunting in 7-17 today, drove down this narrow dead end logging road kind of in the middle of no where and i find this

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310023.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310021.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310020.jpg

Looks like some kind of memorial.

kyleklassen
10-31-2010, 08:44 PM
yep it duz.

takla1
10-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Haitian voodoo...?

snareman1234
10-31-2010, 08:45 PM
10-4 on that

leadpillproductions
10-31-2010, 08:45 PM
yup looks like a memorial , crappy thing someone will wreck it

cainer
10-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm guessing something/someone special perished there.

338 winmag
10-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Not many guys will see it, its pretty secluded. I took some photos and left.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310018.jpg

Gunner Staal
10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
someone put some time into that for sure. hopefully its left as is

BigBanger
10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
What if every dead outdoors person's family did that?
I would rather a plaque or something small and hidden.

mark
10-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Yup, I agree, looks like a pile of garbage to me!

Prowler
10-31-2010, 09:14 PM

Im guessing its not just for a fallen sportsman, but one who "fell" right on this spot. Man this pic, sends chills up my spine.... My heart goes out to whomever it was and his fammily...

The Dawg
10-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Could be buried there too ...weird find, but I would be happier with a smaller memorial.

338 winmag
10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Ya i was wondering if his grave is right underneath the carpet, wonder if its native possibly.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310011.jpg

Jelvis
10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I found a memorial on a tree right where my hunting began with family member way back, sack a rilly yack. It was put up by a family who lost their dad, a hunter who hunted that spot, that ridge every year for 60 years then died, he brought his son and daughters there too.
The spot is exactly where I see dozens of mule deer year after year.
Jel .. Some one scattered his ashes on Big Buck Ridge .. R.I.P. Hunter

snowhunter
10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Since man have lived in what we today call British Columbia for well over 10.000 years, it is unavoidable, as a hunter, sooner or later to come across new and old memorial for loved one's who have departed to the eternal hunting grounds.

I have, while hunting, come across few new and ancient, memorials and graves, including for one for a dog, airplane crash, very old and painted, made of wood, above ground graves, and many ancient stone graves, from people/tribes, who left this area about 3000 years ago.

Please respect this memorial, the children of the loved one had set up for their loving father and family member, who might have found this particular spot to be very special to him ?

May he rest in peace.

sherpa-Al
10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
It sure is strange what you find. While hunting goats this summer my partner and found a memorial (we think) on the top of a mountain. It was a picture sandwiched between 2 rocks and we managed to uncover it out of the billion rocks that were up there, what a fluke.

JohnS
11-01-2010, 07:16 AM

:confused: what kind of comment is that, you must have a Heart Of Stone?

leadpillproductions
11-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Somethin like that would be nice but smaller and hid is what i would want . Also when i go cremated and loaded in some shells so i still can hunt .

Ruger4
11-01-2010, 07:37 AM

I agree , what a stupid comment :-?

Ruger4
11-01-2010, 07:39 AM

this is the one I meant , what a stupid comment Mark :-?

BigfishCanada
11-01-2010, 07:45 AM
These pics make me feel very sad for the children who obviously loved there dad very much. Beeing so remote it must of been a family that came together and built to say there good byes, may the kids have strength from this tragic loss. Obviously we would all respect this, and not wreck or dissemble.

rocksteady
11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I found this same memorial about 6 or 7 years ago while moose hunting in that area.....

At that time, there was one of those "moon ray" solar powered lawn lights that blinked red...Came around the corner on my quad just at dusk and its like WTF ????

Once I looked at it closer, I wished the passed on hunter best of luck on his future hunts and moved on....

abbyfireguy
11-01-2010, 08:32 AM
This says volumnes about how much this fellow's kids love him.
Hopefully we all have that sort of love and thoughtfulness from our kids when we are gone.

anglo-saxon
11-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Obviously a memorial.

However it was put together, whether it suits the tastes of people on this forum or not, I cannot help but imagine the grief of that family. The effort put into that little shrine speaks volumes of the care and love that man had for his kin and they for him. He was a lucky man and no doubt they felt the same way. It was tough enough burying my dog in the forest last December. I cannot fathom the pain this family went though, but can imgaine the mom and kids taking the time to put that shrine together. Well done them! Dad would be proud! Hopefully it stays like that for a while.

In Shawnigan Lake, a young lad was killed on the north road when he was hit by a vehicle (no sidewalks and the sun in the driver's eyes). They re-built the bus stop where he would catch his school bus every week day into a shrine. It's still a bus stop, but it now has a small, tasteful memorial to the boy in a built-in glass-front cabinet that is lit at night. That was two years ago and despite the amount of senseless vandalism and grafiti in the area, the shrine has never been touched. In fact it has had fresh flowers in it throughout. Shows that some things can remain sacred at least.

Paulyman
11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
This topic has been beat to death very recently on another forum,here is a taste of where this thread is going.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36502&SearchTerms=danny,epp

Although I do feel for this persons family the act of putting synthetic materials into the wilderness that will not biodegrade is considerd littering.The opinion of most from what I have learned is that this stuff should and at some point will be removed.It would be nice to be able to contact the family to open dialogue about the removal of it rather than someone else doing it.

muledeercrazy
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM

x2

What kind of a person says that?

11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I have to Aggree,
a plaque would have been a bit more appropriate.
That stuff will be there forever.

338 winmag
11-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I found this same memorial about 6 or 7 years ago while moose hunting in that area.....

At that time, there was one of those "moon ray" solar powered lawn lights that blinked red...Came around the corner on my quad just at dusk and its like WTF ????

Once I looked at it closer, I wished the passed on hunter best of luck on his future hunts and moved on....

Someone must be taking very good care of it as it looks like it was set
up last weekend. Shot a ruffy about 400 yards down the road and when I
went in to retrieve him there was all these blue and green ribbons hanging
from the trees with little metal tags attached to them. Not sure if they were
related but very odd for sure.

knockturnal
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I have to Aggree,

i think thats the point

One Shot
11-01-2010, 12:04 PM

:(A very insensitive comment on your part of which I do not agree with. Think man before you speak because now you cannot take it back. It is possible that it may be a family member of a fellow HBCer........

One Shot
11-01-2010, 12:10 PM

If it has been around for that long it is obvious that the person was a respected and very loved family member who is is still cherished today as the the site is being well maintained.

stitch
11-01-2010, 12:24 PM
:(A very insensitive comment on your part of which I do not agree with. Think man before you speak because now you cannot take it back. It is possible that it may be a family member of a fellow HBCer........

Well said.............

luckynuts
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM

I think what Mark was trying to say is eventually that stuff will be scattered around in the bush and most likely there will be no one around to pick it up. Personally I don't agree with it there either. I have no problem if someone sets it up to do a memorial and then comes back to clean it all up and leave a plaque or cross behind but that's a pile of stuff to leave in the bush.

W.

yamadirt 426
11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
This topic has been beat to death very recently on another forum,here is a taste of where this thread is going.

Although I do feel for this persons family the act of putting synthetic materials into the wilderness that will not biodegrade is considerd littering.The opinion of most from what I have learned is that this stuff should and at some point will be removed.It would be nice to be able to contact the family to open dialogue about the removal of it rather than someone else doing it.

Wow i didnt realize climbers were a bunch of douchers. It doesnt look like garbage to me yet. Also I dont want to go into the bush and see these at the end of every road. Which wouldn't happen anyway. If this one has been out there 7 + years and is maintained like it is then it doesnt bother me. They will clean it up one day when they are at peace. If that one has to come down then i want every cross everywhere gone.

rocksteady
11-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I will not post its location on the site, but will PM the OP 338 Winmag to confirm it is the same spot.....I highly suspect it is, if he confirms tha tit is the same location, that will put the thread to rest that it has been there for a while and is being maintained...

Jagermeister
11-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Ya i was wondering if his grave is right underneath the carpet, wonder if its native possibly.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310011.jpg
I would say that it is First Nation. You see a lot similar graves in the Yukon, around Pelly Crossing.

mark
11-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I have to Aggree,

i think thats the point

[quote=luckynuts;778100]I think what Mark was trying to say is eventually that stuff will be scattered around in the bush and most likely there will be no one around to pick it up. Personally I don't agree with it there either. I have no problem if someone sets it up to do a memorial and then comes back to clean it all up and leave a plaque or cross behind but that's a pile of stuff to leave in the bush.

Geez 3 people that can think with an open mind out of 35 replies????

To all the cry babies out there who dissed me for my "Insensitive" comment! (which I agree it was, but I speak the truth, not always what people like to hear)

Can you people not realize the reality of this????
What if everybody did this???
The bush would be full of crap everywhere!!!!!!!!!!
Would you people like to see more of this stuff in the bush when your out there????
I thought thats what grave yards are for????
I cant believe the HBC police squad hasn't jumped all over this one for "littering"

While 99% of people will respect this thing, we all know that some punk shitrat will drive over it with his jacked up truck and it will be a pile of scattered garbage, real nice...... keep the crap on your own property is all Im saying!
:-?

rocksteady
11-01-2010, 05:57 PM
I will not post its location on the site, but will PM the OP 338 Winmag to confirm it is the same spot.....I highly suspect it is, if he confirms tha tit is the same location, that will put the thread to rest that it has been there for a while and is being maintained...

Got a PM from 338 Winmag, yep, same location....I think it was 94 that I was there, so 6 years and the site is nicely kept....Must of been a very loved man...

79Jimmy
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Got a PM from 338 Winmag, yep, same location....I think it was 94 that I was there, so 6 years and the site is nicely kept....Must of been a very loved man...

That's more like 16 years:wink:

BigBanger
11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Wow 16 years is a long time.

mrdoog
11-02-2010, 05:59 AM
"keep the crap on your own property is all Im saying!"

Maybe it is his property.

You're spreading bad karma dude, bad karma.

Doe
11-02-2010, 06:31 AM
16 years and the rock that says I love you Dad, tells a bigger story ......maybe his little boy is now a man who hunts this area, and probably does some reflecting as well.
This dosent sit beside photos of illegal dumping or careless littering in my books.
Vey touching.

rocksteady
11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Sorry, my bad, I did a typo...It was 2004, not 1994....:oops::oops:

Paulyman
11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I understand exactly where you're coming from.As you said if everyone did this then the mountainsides of BC would look like nothing more than a garbage dump.Did any of you ever consider that it was insensitive for the family to truck their load of synthetic materials out into the wilderness and leave it there?

My views on leaving anything out in the wildernes is that if it cant decompose quickly then it shouldn't be there.Do we know that the family ever has any intention to remove this? do we know that they are maintaining it or is that just an assumption.

[quote=luckynuts;778100]I think what Mark was trying to say is eventually that stuff will be scattered around in the bush and most likely there will be no one around to pick it up. Personally I don't agree with it there either. I have no problem if someone sets it up to do a memorial and then comes back to clean it all up and leave a plaque or cross behind but that's a pile of stuff to leave in the bush.

To all the cry babies out there who dissed me for my "Insensitive" comment! (which I agree it was, but I speak the truth, not always what people like to hear)

Would you people like to see more of this stuff in the bush when your out there????
I cant believe the HBC police squad hasn't jumped all over this one for "littering"

While 99% of people will respect this thing, we all know that some punk shitrat will drive over it with his jacked up truck and it will be a pile of scattered garbage, real nice...... keep the crap on your own property is all Im saying!

abbyfireguy
11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Wow i didnt realize climbers were a bunch of douchers. It doesnt look like garbage to me yet. Also I dont want to go into the bush and see these at the end of every road. Which wouldn't happen anyway. If this one has been out there 7 + years and is maintained like it is then it doesnt bother me. They will clean it up one day when they are at peace. If that one has to come down then i want every cross everywhere gone.

I too was a bit shocked with the "mountain mens" comments about Danny Epp and his family .
Pretty ignorant and arrogant comments.
The Epp's grandparents are personal friends who are now in their 80's.
I find those comments about them unwarrented and made by insensitive people who I usually find too full of themselves to enjoy being anywhere near them.
Sad really!!:-|

3kills
11-02-2010, 10:07 AM

i agree with u 100% on this one. my first thought is if this was found by the right person this would be considered littering. i dont agree with mermorails every where. even ones along the hiways i dont agreee with them. maybe put a cross or something there for a year or something but then take it down.

Paulyman
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
If the family was asked the question"would you mind if we moved it into your backyard?'' what do you think they would say?

mrdoog
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
If the family was asked the question"would you mind if we moved it into your backyard?'' what do you think they would say?

Well if it was mine and you asked my family, you would be told to get a life and leave my stuff alone.

abbyfireguy
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I quess its really in the way of everyone being out in the middle of no where obviously well tended and looked after. Get a life folks and leave well enough alone..SSHHEESHH,what we find time to belly ache about!!!:?

Slinky Pickle
11-02-2010, 11:00 AM
I came across a memorial while out hunting this year in 3-32. It was a small pile of rock at the 6700' summit of a mountain that marked the site where a geologist had died in 1943. I spent some time just sitting, leaning against it and watching what was going on around me. It was actually a great place to spend a few minutes and take stock of what we have available to us here in B.C. This photo was taken while I was sitting there.

For me it was a bit of a reality check when I realized that getting to this spot would have meant something very different in 1943. I had the luxury of a 4x4, a full tank of diesel, a pretty nice FSR and a GPS. I'm guessing he wasn't similarly equipped.

I think memorials have a place in our wilderness if they are placed respectfully. Sometimes it's good to know who's footsteps you're traveling in.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Top_of_the_world.jpg

Prowler
11-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I came across a memorial while out hunting this year in 3-32. It was a small pile of rock at the 6700' summit of a mountain that marked the site where a geologist had died in 1943. I spent some time just sitting, leaning against it and watching what was going on around me. It was actually a great place to spend a few minutes and take stock of what we have available to us here in B.C. This photo was taken while I was sitting there.

For me it was a bit of a reality check when I realized that getting to this spot would have meant something very different in 1943. I had the luxury of a 4x4, a full tank of diesel, a pretty nice FSR and a GPS. I'm guessing he wasn't similarly equipped.

I think memorials have a place in our wilderness if they are placed respectfully. Sometimes it's good to know who's footsteps you're traveling in.

My thoughts exactly. Well said....

Kudu
11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
6 years and still no twit in a truck wrecking it! - Perhaps some people do respect graves and memorials more than others....

Gateholio
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Memorials in the wilderness aren't a horrible thing, if they are done correctly. We have found rock cairns, small plaques, even urns with ashes hidden away in non vehicle accessible areas.

ALso some camp spots have dedication signage on them, etc.

I don't mean to be rude to the family that put this stuff here, but it's a bit much for my tastes, especially as it is a vehicle accessible area. I wouldn't object at all to a few of the painted rocks or tokens hidden amongst the trees but the little shed seems to go to far, but that's my opinion.

huntcoop
11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
6 years and still no twit in a truck wrecking it! - Perhaps some people do respect graves and memorials more than others....

No, it's called bad "juju", never f$#k with a grave or memorial.

.330 Dakota
11-02-2010, 06:57 PM

AGREED.....................

ufishifish2
11-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I agree with the bold few who say it is a bit much. A tin shed in the middle of nowhere seems a tad unnecessary.
On the flip side, to each their own. Who am I to judge. RIP whom ever you are.

urbanhermit
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I am glad every one doesnt do this, but it is interesting. I would be more inclined to build something more in sync with what the bush meant to the guy they are remebering. If he were a logger, maybe some creation out of a log, or if he built roads a neat little bridge over a quiet stream somewhere. For a hunter, maybe some of his spent brass and a plaque out in a favorite honey hole. A photographer, maybe a an empty picture frame when looked through you see a distant mountain range. I think there are plenty of tasteful ways to stir peoples emotions and make them think of your loved ones without giving people the "Holy Crap feeling when they come apon it.

born2hunt
11-02-2010, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=mark;777569]Yup, I agree, looks like a pile of garbage to me![/QUOTe

Sorry but that is a ridiculous and thoughtless comment .!

NaStY
11-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I spread my fathers ashes when he passed. I will forever frequent the area as much as possible but wont disclose the area. That said I wouldn't put up a (shrine) either. That to me looked excessive. JMO

If everyone did that, it would look like a war zone out there..........

gitnadoix
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
At times like those right after a loss like that people often do not think long term or see the whole picture and who could blame them. Perhaps after what they feel is an apropriate amount of time they will remove some of the larger material and make it a bit less visual. And yes this does fall under the umbrella of the saying

"A developer is some one who wants to build a cabin in the woods,....an environmentalist is some one who already has a cabin in the woods. "

I would never say boo about it to owners unless they asked my opinion, not that they would or need it, but if they did ask for opinions I would say too much.....Just an opnion...

phoenix
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm with Mark on this one, it's very nice that they want a memorial but something a little less garish and unnatural would be more appropriate.
Kim

Mr.Venison
11-02-2010, 09:51 PM
With a little cammo it would make a nice sheltered blind. That is if you don't mind having a couple of dollys for hunting partners.

blackford
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I see nothing wrong with this... you have to respect this sort of stuff.... not something to mess with man..... So those of you who call it junk -no cool

to be a dad and see this picture kinda of melts me... for those of you who are being so stern with your remarks... take your man suit off and chill... this is someones loved one!!!!

meesemoot
11-02-2010, 11:23 PM
No, it's called bad "jewjew", never f$#k with a grave or memorial.

I think you meant to say ju-ju. :wink:

Triggerman
11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Someone was very loved. We can all only hope to be remembered so well.

Paulyman
11-02-2010, 11:53 PM
The problem here is that the people here that are defending this aren't looking at the bigger picture.No question it's a nice gesture and this man is lucky to have been so loved by his family, it's the taste that's in question.If a memorial is done properly then it should never be an issue.This memorial is screaming Home Depot special isles three, five and seven.Non biodegradable materials have no place in the wilderness,period!

If this was done a hundred meters back in the bush and built with materials that will decompose then I would see no issue at all.This is a memorial built in memory of a man well loved by his family,not me or you, so what purpose does it serve to you or I? ever hear of the saying one mans junk is another mans treasure? some people will think this is amazing and some will find it tacky and an eyesore although I see the sentiment that this memorial displays it has no purpose being there.

Paulyman
11-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Well if it was mine and you asked my family, you would be told to get a life and leave my stuff alone.

Perfect! I have just bought the land next to your house on both sides and am having it rezoned, on one side of you there will be a nightclub with extended hours closing at 4 am and on the other side there will be a Muslim mosque with prayer starting at 7 am daily.I hope this doesen't bother you,dont bother trying to dispute the rezoning and please mind your own business.

mrdoog
11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Perfect! I have just bought the land next to your house on both sides and am having it rezoned, on one side of you there will be a nightclub with extended hours closing at 4 am and on the other side there will be a Muslim mosque with prayer starting at 7 am daily.I hope this doesen't bother you,dont bother trying to dispute the rezoning and please mind your own business.

Dude, I live in Surrey what you're spouting has already become reality to me.

Paulyman
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Dude, I live in Surrey what you're spouting has already become reality to me.

Just spit cheerios on keyboard,Very funny mrdoog :)

lucky_magic_stick
11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
My dad and I were out grouse hunting in Alberta the other day (Nov. 1st for my 18th birthday). We saw some rags attached to a tree, we went to investigate further, and they were yellow, blue, white, red with a ball on the end of the rag! About 10-12 on one tree then about 10 feet away another tree had 2 red rags with the big ball on the end of it. My dad and I got out out of there fast and didn't want to tamper with it, because we recognized what it was.

Earlier this year (in June) my grandpa passed away from cancer, and my mom Aunt and grandpa's girlfriend were invited to a native "sun dance". In preparation we made 6 prayer clothes that were rags of those colors, with a solid tobacco ball placed on the end of it. These prayer cloths were sent up the tree in the middle of the sun dance. It was a remarkable expirence according to my mom, and my dad and I assumed that we walked upon a prayer sight, it was quite the way off of the path back in the trees! Kind of spooky, and even after returning to the truck for lunch, there was a raven circling above us and over top of the cloths, as if he was checking over us that we didn't ruin it our anything.

abbyfireguy
11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
For Pete's sake, its in the middle of friggin' no-where. Doesn't appear to be near any thoroughfare or Hwy.
Who are we to be party poopers on someone's heartfelt memorial.
If its been there 6 years already ,it must be fairly isolated.
Fortunately we have a few billion acres left in the province where we can recreate and get away from Surrey for a breath of fresh air.
(I can say that as I spent the first 35 years of my life in Surrey.:mrgreen:)

Relax folks,,lets save the chest beating,bleeding hearts environmental tears for an issue that has some relevance to our activities in the great wilds of our province.

Remember that the next time you're out hunting and driving up a logging road built by smelly bulldozers in nice pristine country driving your F350 burping out sooty crap for our furry targets to breath.

Pick your battles as my dear old Dad always said.

stoneslinger
11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Is that the laminated one along the cow trail? I'll get the dead guys name and forward it to you in order to confirm. Somebody left behind a mess of garbage and an outhouse sided with lumber wrap. Wee bit of a mess.

I found a memorial on a tree right where my hunting began with family member way back, sack a rilly yack. It was put up by a family who lost their dad, a hunter who hunted that spot, that ridge every year for 60 years then died, he brought his son and daughters there too.
The spot is exactly where I see dozens of mule deer year after year.
Jel .. Some one scattered his ashes on Big Buck Ridge .. R.I.P. Hunter

Elkaholic2010
11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Personally I would be more concerned with all the trash guys seem to be leaving in the bush these days than a memorial erected in a remote area. How many beer cans, plastic bags, spent shotgun shells, truck parts etc do you drive by on the way into your hunting areas? Also Ive noticed a heck of alot more carcasses being dumped on or right beside forest service roads complete with dirty rags, rubber gloves, paper towel etc. A real nice treat to look at when were out and about with our kids etc. If in time the memorial truly is causing an environmental issue then deal with it....Until then respect it and go about your buisness.

Roughneck Country
11-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Not to be an insensitive prick but that thing is essentially litter left in the forest. I appreciate the family wants a memorial but if your going to leave something in the woods leave a small wood plaque that will eventually bio-degrade not a huge metal structure with outdoor carpet and what not.

The whole thing looks kind of creepy to me. I guess I am not in favor of leaving anything in the woods. just my 2 cents.

huntcoop
11-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I think you meant to say ju-ju. :wink:

LOL, did I :mrgreen: ?

coquitlam
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
It does not matter if it looks like something you would do or if it won`t decompose like you think it should. The only thing that matters is that it helps that persons love ones to feel better and help there grieving. I know from experience as my father die last Sunday.

rocksteady
11-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I know from experience as my father die last Sunday.

Sorry for your loss.:icon_frow

I honestly don't know why are saying that it's littering etc etc...How many "roadside" memorials are built for auto crash victims on highways near you, that are put up and not maintained...after a while they start to look like the rest of the trash that has been tossed from cars, trucks etc....

The one posted by the OP still looks nice and is maintained....

If they are maintained and help the family and friends heal, I encourage them to do it...A lot worse things are being put into the environment than some plastic flowers, etc.....Remember the BP oilspill???

Tank
11-03-2010, 06:52 PM
As a hunter and father, those pictures of a memorial set up by a grieving family for a "dad" they obviously miss strike a bit close to home. It makes a guy thankful for what he's got as well as feel some empathy for the family left behind. The last thought on my mind was that this memorial could technically be viewed as litter. Have a heart! my two cents....

Lone Ranger
11-03-2010, 06:59 PM
I have absolutely no issue with them setting it up as a temporary memorial but to leave that intact I do have to somewhat agree with Mark on it, maybe not as cold as his comment though! I could only hope my family would have the respect, courtesy, intuition or whatever you want to call it, to put a plaque up me in my favourite hunting/4 wheeling area. A small memorial would be far more tasteful and would probably last longer. LR

BimmerBob
11-03-2010, 07:24 PM
There are places for memorials to the dead, they are called cemeteries. Every time I see a roadside memorial nailed on public facilities or on a sidewalk it kind of irks me a bit that people think they have the right to place stuff on public property and expect others not to think it is garbage.

Mark might have said it a little to bluntly for the sensitive types (as they have so posted) but that "shrine" is well over the top and should be toned down a lot and made to fit in to the environment a lot better than it is. If the memorial is to an outdoorsman, I am sure he would not be all that impressed with it either.

Seems to me to be too much wailing and crying in public over the loss of a loved one, I was brought up to do my grieving in private and I sometimes wonder at the inability of others to have a little less of their lives public...

338 winmag
11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I guess a guy would have to know the whole story of why it was placed there to begin with before making some kind of judgment call. I sure didn't feel like it was a pile of garbage but rather something sacred. May the gentleman rest in peace.

dukester
11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
any missing person reports, wow what a find, i think its cool.

Jelvis
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
It looks like a memorial for a dad that was real good to his child and after a terrible accident near that spot, the child took what she had and built it up real nice for him to show respect and love for her lost dad, who she will never see again in this big lonely world we have to live in.
JP .. R.I.P. Dad ... Your lost and lonely child daddy .. I miss you so bad .. Always your youngest daughter ..

sawmill
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
There are places for memorials to the dead, they are called cemeteries. .

I took my Dad`s and my Brother`s ashes up onto a ridge outside of town here ,locals will know the place.Nice view of the Rockies and Purcells,lots of elk hang out there in the winter and spring.
Busted the boxes open and spread them both to the wind,had a drink,watched my dogs play,gathered up all the pieces and hiked back down.Never left a sign that I was there.
I drive past that place nearly everyday and feel good about them being there.It`s nice to see a hundred or so elk grazing the hill side where they are.
I always honk my horn twice on my way by.

BimmerBob
11-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I took my Dad`s and my Brother`s ashes up onto a ridge outside of town here ,locals will know the place.Nice view of the Rockies and Purcells,lots of elk hang out there in the winter and spring.
Busted the boxes open and spread them both to the wind,had a drink,watched my dogs play,gathered up all the pieces and hiked back down.Never left a sign that I was there.
I drive past that place nearly everyday and feel good about them being there.It`s nice to see a hundred or so elk grazing the hill side where they are.
I always honk my horn twice on my way by.

That sounds like a reasonable and spiritual thing to do and gives you a personal connection to the land that you can honour over and over again. Nice way to do it too!

sawmill
11-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks,I thought so.

averagejoe
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
we kind of did the same thing we emptied the shot out of 20 shot gun shells and replaced them with my freinds ashes and went to his favortite spot and shot them all offf in a salute

Sleep Robber
11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
My father drowned in the Bering Sea a week before his retirement. He fished out there for over 40 years. I wanted to have some kind of memorial for him, but what can I do out there, anchor a bouy with his picture on it ?? No, I cannot do this, as it would be a hinder to all navigation. Instead, I spread half his ashes out there , and the other half, in and around his favorite fly fishing lake/ hunting area.
Every corner and stretch of road around the lower mainland etc., you see crosses and flowers along with telephone poles with pictures. I don't think it is appropriate IMO and am sick of seeing it all. Death comes to us all, and for this size of shrine/memorial in the middle of the wilderness is far too much. A little plaque, stone, carving, ashes, etc beside a tree would be more than good enough.
I don't think calling it Garbage is very nice, but it is not a graveyard. Most people have to pay a lot of money for a plot this size these days. May I add that I don't think this is even legal to do in the first place as I'm assuming it is Crown land. You have to own the land to build something like this, after all, it is a structure. Any bigger you'd need a bloody permit for Christ sake.
I may have a heart colder than a well diggers ass, but this is way too much and has got to go. Get real people, if one can do this, everyone can, then what would we have, a bloody museum on every hill top?? Put your feelings aside, get out of the small frame and see the big picture. I sure as hell don't want to go hunting in the wilderness and stumble across something this big.
I don't know exactly where this is, but before you know it, some idiot will thrash it and then there will be nothing but stuff spread out all over the place and then it will be garbage. Bottom line is, it's to damn big and should be removed, and no doubt will be in the end.
My apologizes if I pissed anybody off, these are just my feelings on this matter, nothing more.

steelhead
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM

sawmill
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Kelowna, I think it was,wants to ban roadside crosses because they are a disraction.I think they are a reminder to keep your head out of your ass and pay attention to a bad stretch of road.Billboards are a distraction.
There are a dozen crosses between here and Cranbrook,18 mile stretch,Steamboat Hill is a virtual graveyard of crosses.
I don`t like shrines but simple white crosses reminds people how bad the stretch of road can be and I do believe it helps save lives.
Of course if you are a dolt,you are a dolt, and nothing can save you.
Just try not to take anybody with you.

Sleep Robber
11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Memorials are setup in commercial graveyards in cities and towns all over the world, graveyards that once where wild land, I would rather see a beautiful memorial like this one in the bush than a landfill or another open pit mine or f350 dealership.

Perhaps those that question this memorial could learn a little something. IMO.

Like you say, in graveyards, that once were wild land, not still wild land.
Give your head a shake man:mad: !! For one it's ugly and looks more like an over sized doll house. Two, it ruins the surroundings, because it doesn't look natural in any way at all. And 3 , if you want a memorial this size , go buy a park bench like everybody else. It looks horrible, and the ashes of our deceased are for spreading in the wild outdoors, not mini shrines like this.
By the way, when have you ever seen a Ford dealership on a dead end logging road:roll: You say, learn something ??, I say wake up, everybody dies, it doesn't give you the right to build this kind of eye sore in the wild. I've seen better looking memorials for dogs at the edge of a lake, and they were only the size of a door mat.
Some people go way over the edge, and this is a perfect example.

This memorial is a joke, my old man would come back from the dead and kick my ass, and make grizz food out of me if I built something like this for him.
If GI Joe takes Ken and Barbie on a hunt , they'll have a good spike camp already set up. :biggrin: ............ sorry but it fits the bill here

11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
[quote=Paulyman;777772]This topic has been beat to death very recently on another forum,here is a taste of where this thread is going.

quote]

Well, So far it is going in 10pages of circles and 7 thousand some people lookin at it and if i hit submit fast enough i think i will be post 92

otherwise it is going in a perpetual circle!

steelhead
11-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Sleep Robber
11-04-2010, 02:04 PM
...Spoken like a true Jack@ss. Congratulations you are THAT guy.

Hardly, just a man that knows when a park bench, or spread ashes are better than an eye sore in the middle of the f-----g bush !!

Sorry to hurt your little girly feelings. But it is not appropriate to do this, in this magnitude, in the middle of the wilderness or anywhere for that matter,other than a graveyard.

And if everybody DID do this they WOULD BE everywhere. Then what would you say

What a chump:roll:

steelhead
11-04-2010, 02:13 PM

11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Yup looks like a good spot to start trolling here........
think im gonna try the " you guys bith suck" gear :) see if that works

Sleep Robber
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
If you were a man you would have a family that would build a memorial like that for you. I suspect thats not the case. Thats all I have to say on this thread.

Listen here, Limp Wrist. I'm man enough that when I go, I don't care what they do with me.........I'm dead !!!! You on the other hand , probably have a set of blueprints for your children already.:twisted:

mijinkal
11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
These guys need a time out. Keep it civil guys.

You've both lost any credibility by name calling.

Sonof000Buck
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
That's actually quite touching. Don't let someone wreck it, someones father had a memorial there, it's like your dad dying and then someone wrecking where he was .

Jelvis
11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I saw something like this at the end of a road, near a logging camp a few years back, looked similar to this, memorial.
Apparently a local single mother of twin girls had to put down the family pet and the mother made a little place for the lil girls and her to go and remember the pet dog they loved.
Jel ( Pet Cemetery ) .. You destroy that and you will be a marked person .. You'd be run out of camp ..

chinooker
11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
:-D
The problem here is that the people here that are defending this aren't looking at the bigger picture.No question it's a nice gesture and this man is lucky to have been so loved by his family, it's the taste that's in question.If a memorial is done properly then it should never be an issue.This memorial is screaming Home Depot special isles three, five and seven.Non biodegradable materials have no place in the wilderness,period!

If this was done a hundred meters back in the bush and built with materials that will decompose then I would see no issue at all.This is a memorial built in memory of a man well loved by his family,not me or you, so what purpose does it serve to you or I? ever hear of the saying one mans junk is another mans treasure? some people will think this is amazing and some will find it tacky and an eyesore although I see the sentiment that this memorial displays it has no purpose being there.

Vancouver was in the wilderness at one time

Spirit's Master
11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Interesting little shrine you found there. I haven't been hunting for very long but have spent many hours in the bush and have come across many different memorials to those that have passed. You see them on the roadside everyday, too. Some are tasteful, some are not; but we each have an opinion as to what is acceptable.

I did see one last year in the hills near Union Bay dedicated to a man's dog. Small hand fabbed cross with a few sage words and the dog's tag tacked to it all tacked to a tree in the sunshine. Sat there and had a moment with my dog and then moved on.

Just my ramble.

cwf

338 winmag
11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I found these ribbons and metal tags a little ways down from the shrine when I went into the bush to retrieve a ruffy, any idea what they are ? They were in a little patch of forest not viewable from the road.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310028.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310026.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310027.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310030.jpg

buck nash
11-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I found these ribbons and metal tags a little ways down from the shrine when I went into the bush to retrieve a ruffy, any idea what they are ? They were in a little patch of forest not viewable from the road.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310030.jpg

The numbered tags are the same as the ones we used to identify an individual tree's identity in forest research plots, but they are usually nailed to the tree's trunk. The ribbbons looks like they wanted to make sure they could see it from space.

mijinkal
11-05-2010, 08:30 AM
looks like a land surveyor or arborist that went off the deep end one day!

llloyd
11-05-2010, 08:56 AM
looks like littering

bigneily
11-05-2010, 11:26 AM

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PA310030.jpgmaybe a geocache site?also looks like littering too me also...

rocksteady
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Forest Research plots...

BCBRAD
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I have no right to occupy a piece of ground (graveyard) for ever. Ashes in a favorite spot is fine (sawmill got it right), those that remember ,will, those who never knew you will care less, as it should be.

338 winmag
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Was back up there again today. He was born in 1926 and died Oct 10 1994 according to the cross. Maybe he passed away there in moose camp. The lights were lit up, looked kind of
peaceful :smile:.

rocksteady
11-05-2010, 07:53 PM
He is gonna end up being your best friend, that's 3 times you have been there....:-D:-D

Take him a Timmies the next time you go :mrgreen:

338 winmag
11-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Well I probably should as he always has a ruffy there waiting for me :-D.

Jelvis
11-05-2010, 08:10 PM
You won't believe this story, but I will tell it anyway, it sounds spooky or unbelievable, but every time I hunt by that memorial that was on the ridge I see mule deer close to it, it's remarkable. That family new exactly where the deer were at that spot, it is astounding to see year after year after year.
Jel .. (The Ridge of the Mule Deer Hunter's Family) R.I.P. Deer Hunter R.I.P. on a north facing grassy treed bluff ..

lineofsight
11-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Find it curious that some take issue with the appearance or look... aesthetics are personal and perhaps each of these items were chosen for sentimental reason rather than their appearance. Even "dollar store" items may be treasure to some. Some people venture out into the bush to spend time away from their routine and have time to reflect on life - a memorial like this may certainly help with that.

The number of HBC members and number of trips they've taken suggest that there is no problem with "if everybody did it..." If I came across one of these every couple of years I would say a prayer for them/their family and my trip would be better for it, not worse. If I came across a couple of these per year then trip would be worse for it (and may well opinion that these should be removed).

Guess I feel similar about living people - meet one or two people unexpectedly during a trip then trip may be better for it, if meet people on every trail... not why out there.

Certainly not want the same for myself. Have family that passed, not even know where their remains are, do not need them to remember their actions in life.

llloyd
11-06-2010, 10:22 AM
what hunter or outdoorsman wants to be immortalized by a pile of astroturf, yard lights, old batteries, an old watercooler jug and some crap thrown in a tree? if that was how my kids remembered me i'd wonder where i screwed up and made them hate me so much

35 Whelen
11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Ever thought that maybe this was the best this family could do in these economic times? It's a memorial to someone dearly loved. No one one should be judging what is not theirs........you have no idea what that family went through or what that memorial means to them.

It's like them saying, that stupid piece of granite with your mother, father, son or daughters name on it is a waste of space.

The lack of respect shown for other people today is shameful. But that is what society is turning into.....all for one and all for me.