PDA

View Full Version : rookies first big game animal

srupp
10-31-2010, 11:19 AM
here finally is a photo of the moose Todd harvested this year, his first year hunting and his first big game animal other than a grouse...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSC00591.jpg

Steven

d6dan
10-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Nice Bull!. Thats a Good one to start your hunting career. Congrats to Todd.

srupp
10-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Ya he earned this one..no drive by shooting here...these bulls are pushed hard all year by the close proximity of the Whitehorse hwy..and Todd had to sit still for 2 entire days listening to Tim and myself call and call and call..oh ya Todd got to hang the obligatory moose in heat urine soaked tampons..:mrgreen: and then he had to wait and wait while the bull sloooooowly sauntered in.. responding to our calling...and wait untill the bull was just the right position on dry land and sideways, for a great shot..

Then he and Tim got to carry this bull piece by piece..pretty excited young fellow...and the comment "HOLY SHAT IS HE EVER BIG" conveyed the sense that he appreciated the size difference between this and his grouse....

Steven

Yotapup
10-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Damn! That thing is a monster!

Congrats!

JAFA
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Oh My God! That is huge, contgrats, Tim. Luck to be hanging with Steven.

trencher
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow nice moose guys. Great job. Nice way to start!

Ruger4
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
wowsers

heck of a start to a hunting career !!

Sundance1972
10-31-2010, 12:36 PM
"HOLY SHAT" sounds about right to me!

cavebear
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
wow wow wow :-D :mrgreen: :-D

Springer
10-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Nice Bull Steve. That Electronic caller sure works good hey !!:wink:

srupp
10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
ya Phil just plug me into a current bush...:mrgreen:....

cheers
Steven

rifleman
10-31-2010, 02:16 PM
nice bull , he sure is heavy, congrats to the new hunter

nano
10-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Nice bull, congrats guys!

kennyj
10-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Great way to start. Congratulations.
kenny

born2hunt
10-31-2010, 03:24 PM
great job congrats , nice bull Steve!

srupp
10-31-2010, 05:37 PM
riflemen....yes a real old warrior...note how thick the bases and how they actually 'SAG" down..past his prime but still a good bull, not biggest rack but a very very large body..

Steven

d6dan
10-31-2010, 05:40 PM
riflemen....yes a real old warrior...note how thick the bases and how they actually 'SAG" down..past his prime but still a good bull, not biggest rack but a very very large body..

Steven
Also another sign of age is the tops of their paddles usually look worn down.Like this one..

sneg
10-31-2010, 06:24 PM
beatifull animal.congrats on good work

srupp
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
hmmm hopefully Sneg will be posting photos after his LEH moose draw hunt..

cheers
Steven

11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
hmmm hopefully Sneg will be posting photos after his LEH moose draw hunt..

cheers
Steven

Hope the weather holds for him to,

Man that is one helluva way to start hunting! Tough to beat that

srupp
11-01-2010, 02:44 PM
ya I dont think Todd really realizes just how successfull that moose action was...when you have nothing ever in the past to compare it to..

The Provincial average is 1 moose every 4 attempts...:confused: so add in the difficulty to obtain LEH'S where needed..Tim and I have never ever been skunked on moose...ever..I am very confident in my and Tims ability to call in moose during the rut...from pretty incredible distances...

And this bull was 1/2 again as heavy as a Cariboo Chilcotin moose..so pretty decent sized body....

Maybe next trip a wider rack on the moose....but as far as a "text book " moose calling hunt this one had everything..heavily hunted area by jet boat, horses, quads, and road hunters...and to go in never having hunted the area..and set up and by day 2 have this guy laying on the ground..funny I just knew we could bring one in..

And then to spend alll those many many many hours calling hanging the urine attractant out and finally at the ending of the second day to hear that one WAUGh...I wasnt sure the first grunt and minutes later was still not 100% with the scond grunt I heard..Todd hadnt heard it yet..finally after 3 or 4 "pretty sures" I knew that was a grunt..and a bull coming in..changing my calling..it was 15 minutes before TODD was certain he also was hearing a bull grunt....

And then another 20 minutes till Todd saw him under a tree 300 yards away in the willow with just the tips of his antlers showing...I was looking but couldnt see the exact spot..Finally I did and again chainged my calling and slowly brought him a further 80 yards up the river along the shore..and standing in the river..He wouldnt cross over to us ..so I waited untill he was walking away up onto solid ground that I gave Todd the OK....

So all in all everything one wants in a calling a bull moose in hunt..the calling, the attractant, the waiting..the recognition ..the ability to slightly tune our calling to keep the bull coming in..and the patience to bring him right and the knowlege on when to pull the hammer all the way back..

Pretty good learning hunt for Todd..add to the other moose we showed him Up @ Kelsell lake, and the goats and grizzly.....not too shabby for # 1 hunt...

cheers
Steven

Rodd
11-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Great Photo!! Congrats! I'm sure it won't be his last either.....

elkhunter1
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Congrats Guy,s Awesome Moose.
What kind of Call are You using,???
Thank,s.

Skeena Shooter
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Awsome first moose!

srupp
11-01-2010, 05:07 PM
elkhunter1..

I only use cow calls...the boyz are looking for love...:wink:

and I only use my mouth and have learned how to use my voice to immitate a cow call..and have watched cows call from close by and learned subtle nuances and loudness and length of call..and how to effectivley make it seductive and "pleading " and when to turn it up and when to lower it..and it hasnt let me down in 30 years...:mrgreen:

I was seeing what my new lab Ebony thought of the "cow call "...and the she heard a cow call on the TV..and she damn near jumped through the 60 " plasma screen...:mrgreen:...

Whatever it sure fooled this weary old battle scarred vetern moose..he sure thought he was in for some loving...

Interesting that when skinning this old guy out he had some bruising to his back flank...obvious scarring and brusing from fighting with another bull...

cheers
Steven

Rattler
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow...that is one heck of a nice bull....

Tron
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice bull and on dry land. Congrats.

srupp
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
hmmm I had to threaten..errrr I mean convince Todd to wait UNTILL the bull came out of the river to shoot..it was close to the shore 30 feet ?? and on very soldi ground..BONUS...:mrgreen:

Steven

I was hoping Todd himself would post his impresssions of his first hunt...:confused:

ravensfoot
11-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Super cool moose! Good job on the patience. Must have been quite the haul out.
Way to go on the calling Steven. Any idea what the bugger weighed in at? And, I think I found it's print way over where I was.http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/chilcoot/IMG_4347.jpg :-)

Mountain Man
11-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Nice work !!

Sooke Hunter
11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
How heavy was that thing?? Looks massive!!!!:)

Dually
11-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Holt Shat! that's a Bruiser, Cheers to good times and sore back's

bowhunterbruce
11-03-2010, 05:57 AM
wow ,what a monster.sure a ton of work but well worth every aching muscle.
well done everyone
bruce

TSW
11-03-2010, 09:33 AM
his first year hunting and his first big game animal other than a grouse...Steven

Nice moose. My question is since when is a grouse a big game animal? :)

srupp
11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
lol it only is untill you shoot something bigger..:mrgreen::wink:..

This guy is not as big as they come I believe we got the really big on a few years back at Teslin lake/river..and he was bigger than this...

full grown Canadian moose near Williams Lake will be anywhere from 500-700 on average with some exceptional ones going larger..and many more being under that...

This moose came in at the 1100 pound "range"..and was definatley a seperate species ..the Alaskan -Yukon moose..chest is much more massive..legs are longer(deeper snow adaptation) really big feet...

We did the modified gutless method...:mrgreen: due to darkness the first day...

however Todd AND TIM it was ALL they could do to take each quarter

I was not expected to help due to knees and shoulders

Steven

Kudu
11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow - that is a really nice animal. That could feed a family of four a very long time.

well done Steven and Todd.

BiG Boar
11-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Good work Steven and Todd. Moose are a tremendous beast alive and even more so when they hit the dirt. Looks like a great eater! Hope you've got a deep freeze.