PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail stand hunting

nomad
10-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Any of you Blacklail hunters that stand hunt, how frequently do you visit your stand? Do you prefer multiple stands to an area? Some background to these questions... I'm hunting a lot of appox 130 acres (no crown land). Have seen does and bucks, with a real close encounter with a big buck. Nothing down yet hence no pics, but with rut starting up, how much pressure will they take before really changing they're habits? was out last night with does directly under my stand! Watched one doe track where my steps to the tree had been many hours earlier! She was leary but not spooked then just continued on to graze right there. There was a buck in behind me but to dense for a visual, he was doing to whole snort and wheeze bit with pissin and stomping around added in! I had put some "buck" scent on a stick out about 40 yds from my stand just to add to the picture. Lots of doe calls going on all around me too. Buck never did come thru and seemed just to hold off, perhaps with a doe in the bush? One week ago three does had all come out a hundred yards south of the stand with a big buck to follow about fifteen minutes later. He was real jittery and on alert as the does simply grazed around. He kept tight to the does. So there has been good action lately! Just lookin for a little more insite or tips to keep the action tight and not just bust the whole ordeal!!!

thanks nomad

thatskindafunny
10-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Sounds like your on the right track. I hunt out of tree stand only. 410 acres of a dairy farm and I have two stands 40 yards apart. I hunt a 100 x 100 yard area. Been doing this for 24 years. Crap the rut seems to be 10 days earlier than what I'm used to. Go get him.