PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr.Houndsmen!

dutchie
10-31-2010, 10:13 AM
I have been contemplating how I am going to get out on a cougar hunt in the near future. The biggest issue is the ability to hunt them with out going with a Guide. (I can see a non-res paying $7K for a hunt but that is not is my fiscal budget)

What I am wondering is if there are any houndsmen on the forum that love the chase but don't need or want another cougar and are willing to help a fellow hunter out and work the dogs:-D

I know that it is a game for the fit, and willing... In which I am both.

I am willing to travel anywhere in the province, and I am not the type of person to get discouraged if I do not find the Tom that we are looking for, in other words, I am selective and have no desire to shoot the first cat we see just because it is a tough hunt... but if the hounds-men deems it to be a good cat then I have no problem taking it.:mrgreen:

With that being said, I have no cougar experience,(cat you perverts:razz:), I do not know or even pretend to know what I am doing when it comes to cougar habitat, routines, or even telling a Tom from a female. This is something that I want to learn and feild experiance is the best. (I hear that when they are up the tree, you look for his nuts!)

If there is anyone that would be interested in a hunt or know someone that would be (I have no problem with guides or going with one but I just can't afford one.. unless there is a deal that we can swing) PLEASE send me a PM and we can chat!

Thanks everyone!

Dutchie

Steeleco
10-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Good luck James, willing I am, fit, not even close!! Save me a steak, K!!

Old Crow
10-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Good luck James, willing I am, fit, not even close!! Save me a steak, K!!

What did the doctor say???Morbidly what???:wink:

Spokerider
10-31-2010, 01:53 PM
You`re asking for alot.

Houndsmen have many, many hundreds of hours of raising and training of their hounds, not to mention the thousands of $$ to get them there. Some have even gone through a wife or two in the process. Being a houndsman is a way of life, it`s not just a hobby.

When a houndsman unclips the leash, he is assuming all risks, injury, loss and possible death to his hounds. Can you see how the guiding fee he collects helps offset the vet bills and possibly replacing the dog or dogs that just got killed on that one hunt?
Maybe it was his best hound that was injured or perished, as in the best hound that he has ever owned or run with. It may well be long time before he finds another hound that will measures up to the one lost......GOOD hounds are RARE. Perhaps this loss sets his pack back to square one, with years before he can rebuild it, all from one hunt. It can and does happen.

Hounds do get lost, sometimes for days. Now the houndsman may have to spend the next two days or longer searching for his dog, hoping to find it before the wolves do. Will you be at his side when it`s time to climb yet another mountain on the third day out searching?

As far as *swinging a deal* goes, a LEO might have some interesting comments to make about that suggestion. Now, why would a houndsman risk a wildlile offence and or conviction of illegal guiding, and further, assume the risks as per above, to take you cougar hunting?

Sorry if my response is blunt, but these are the real-deal facts.

Gateholio
10-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Y
As far as *swinging a deal* goes, a LEO might have some interesting comments to make about that suggestion. Now, why would a houndsman risk a wildlile offence and or conviction of illegal guiding, and further, assume the risks as per above, to take you cougar hunting?

S.

If you read his post carefully, he is discussing making some deal with a guide, which would be perfectly legal. Certainly legal for an outfitter and a client to make just about any payment arrangements they like.

(I have no problem with guides or going with one but I just can't afford one.. unless there is a deal that we can swing) PLEASE send me a PM and we can chat!

houndogger
10-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Most houndsmen have along list of people all wanting to kill a cat. Maybe try and find someone to tag along with for pics and helping out with the hunt. I ain't much of a cougar killer so there are few that want to tag along spend gas money walk half a day for just a nice picture. But that is why I go, dog work and pics.

good luck

Steeleco
10-31-2010, 08:51 PM
What did the doctor say???Morbidly what???:wink:

Ketchika is that you?? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

SHAKER
10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I'll sometimes go with people I don't know on a hound run (rare though)...... usually if I do they've put all the scouting work in and have found a cat to run. All is done out of my pocket cause illegal guiding is a pretty nasty charge that I dont' want anywhere near me.

BlacktailStalker
10-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Somebody whos stumbled on a cat kill or calls me on the phone/radio MIGHT get to tag along but I've turned down tracks/sightings when they even mention they'd like to shoot it. Shit I haven't even shot one for myself.

I also never let anyone else pack a rifle with me either, don't like it too bad.

98% of my runs are alone now or with a friend with hounds.
People just don't get it, as stated above.

JCVD
10-31-2010, 09:42 PM
You can get them from stands and calling if you put in the leg work,get your calls down and are very,very patient. That is if you just want a kitty and not if you want the chase of course:-D

Bear Chaser
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
If you are serious about getting a cougar save your money and hire a guide.
The amount of money and time you would invest travelling to develope trust & friendship with a houndsman either on the island or in the interior would more than pay the cost of a guided hunt. None of these guys are going to risk their dogs or their reputations to have you pull the trigger without knowing you very well.
It's also a fact that not all houndsmen have good, experienced dogs. You could spend a ton of money just travelling to hunt with them and get stuck with trash races and learning experiences.
Ask around and talk to some licensed guides. Find out what the actual hunt costs are. If providing meals and lodging are included in the price you may be able to lessen the cost if you have friends or family to stay with in the area. Ask if the price per would be less for two hunters instead of one. How flexible are your work hours? The price could be less if you are willing to take cancellation hunts and or travel through the night to hunt the next day.
Good luck. I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love to take a cat one day as well.

Barracuda
10-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Tag along with leah and I on a day trip if you want James .

You know us and youve met our dogs allready so your more then welcome to join us assuming our schedules work out . (chase our hounds around the hills LOL!.)

Bears are still out right now but once the cold and snow hits :-D (they have found a denned bear though:eek:)

For us its about the dogs and the sights and sounds that go along with them .

SHAKER
10-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Somebody whos stumbled on a cat kill or calls me on the phone/radio MIGHT get to tag along but I've turned down tracks/sightings when they even mention they'd like to shoot it. Shit I haven't even shot one for myself.

I also never let anyone else pack a rifle with me either, don't like it too bad.

98% of my runs are alone now or with a friend with hounds.
People just don't get it, as stated above.

I've take all 3 cat and have no interest in take'n another... I get calls every once and awhile about tracks ect and the "what do you think about us going?" answer is almost always NO. If your serious, put the work in and say "Hey I've got this cat looped off with a deer kill here". If I like the guys then cool, let do it. I'm into the chase not the kill, and I learned the hard way about letting people pack their own gun, now they can shoot with mine if we're going to do it. End of the day.... the crazy dog guy calls the shots regardless!

steelheadSABO
11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Not to hijack but I am interested in a cougar hunt too. so you say if you talk to a guide you could lower the price if you have your own place to stay own food tags licenses etc?

Bear Chaser
11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Not to hijack but I am interested in a cougar hunt too. so you say if you talk to a guide you could lower the price if you have your own place to stay own food tags licenses etc?

I have no idea but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've never hired a guide for anything but if I did I would politely insist to know the cost up front and what exactly would be covered. Like what's been stated already every time a hound is set loose on a track it may be the last time he is seen. Some guides may simply state the price is the price whether it's 1 day or 5 days of hunting.
Sorry if that isn't much help. I was justing throwing a few suggestions out to the OP about where I'd start.