PDA

View Full Version : Yesteday's hunt - weird one

doubled
10-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Yesterday we headed up the Connector to check out a spot we have had our eye on for a while. My buddy has been there a few times so we were excited.

We got to the unloading spot with about an inch of snow on the ground. We took the quads to our trailhead and walked quite a large area with only 2 sets of deer tracks and no moose. Figured the muleys have moved on so next weekend will be setup on the migration route.

We probably crossed 4 sets of cougar (one really large and really fresh set), wolverine tracks, 6 sets of bear tracks (again, one really large set), 3-4 sets of bobcat/lynx tracks and maybe 20 sets of coyote/wolf/dog track.

I have never seen that many sets of cat tracks in my life in one day. Was kinda cool to see.

SHAKER
10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Where was this?:twisted:

doubled
10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Where was this?:twisted:

In the bush.

Brambles
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
In the bush.

He just wants the cougars, he'll weed them out if you let him:-D

pearljam
10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Mom with kittens? Could be 2-3 year olds with her......

doubled
10-31-2010, 11:33 AM
All the tracks were singles.

adamgarbett
10-31-2010, 12:29 PM
I hate them damn cats

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Quite possibly you saw lynx tracks at that elevation rather than cougar tracks. If the deer have moved down, so have the cougars.

ve7iuq
10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I will bet that doubled can distinguish between cougar tracks and lynx tracks. Pretty easy to do in fresh snow.
I wonder how large an area has all those predators?

ve7iuq
10-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Read the post again. You were sure lucky to see all those, especially the wolverine tracks.
If I had the choice, I would rather have a day that saw all those tracks and no deer kill, than shoot a deer and not see all those tracks!
I think I can remember all the places and times, really not too many, where I have seen wolverine tracks, spread over a lot of years.

Jelvis
10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Wolverine? Most likely raccoon by the sound of it lol lynx or bobby.
Sounds like peachland summerland back roads toad.
Jel 9 Singled and tripled .. giants vs Tex ass

doubled
10-31-2010, 07:09 PM
It was a cool experience especially when we saw the BIG "lynx" tracks - they were really fresh.

Buckmeister
10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Have only seen a Lynx once...gorgeous animal. I've seen a wolverine once too years ago when it cruised through the farmyard. Never thought to go look at it's tracks, I wouldn't know it's tracks if I saw them.

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2010, 09:14 PM
It was a cool experience especially when we saw the BIG "lynx" tracks - they were really fresh.

Lynx tracks ARE big. Often bigger than cougar tracks. Many a cat hunter has been called to an area to check out the "BIG" cougar tracks someone saw, only to find they were lynx tracks. :wink:

Surefire way to tell the difference - look for tail marks in the snow.

boxhitch
10-31-2010, 09:27 PM
look for tail marks in the snow.What does proof of sex have to do with it ?

SHAKER
10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
PM'd ya back........ Hunt'n in snow is the best, just tells the whole story whats really going on! Lots of critters can walk around all year and never be noticed without the white stuff. Even Brambles showed some bear tracks in the snow to tell a story, I think he was in a bar fight though and had to make up a good story before he got home. LOL Just kidding buddy!

eastkoothunter
10-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Lynx tracks ARE big. Often bigger than cougar tracks. Many a cat hunter has been called to an area to check out the "BIG" cougar tracks someone saw, only to find they were lynx tracks. :wink:

Agreed.

Definately a cool experience to see all that!

doubled
11-01-2010, 05:30 AM

BINGO - tail marks are usually a good sign that a BIG lynx didn't make them.

whitespringer
11-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Wolverine? Most likely raccoon by the sound of it lol lynx or bobby.
Sounds like peachland summerland back roads toad.
Jel 9 Singled and tripled .. giants vs Tex ass

We were in there also on Brenda Mine area. Tons of tracks, other than deer and moose. Big set of cougar tracks in the snow.

doubled
11-01-2010, 07:27 AM
We were in there also on Brenda Mine area. Tons of tracks, other than deer and moose. Big set of cougar tracks in the snow.

Maybe it was a BIG "lynx" :mrgreen: