PDA

View Full Version : My sons first deer

gibblewabble
10-30-2010, 10:39 PM
As I was finishing up a job in Houston I made the decision to come back up in October to hunt my traditional land:wink: with my son this year. October 18th we packed up the truck and headed up to Burns Lake, I had scouted out around the head of Francois Lake a couple weeks earlier around the old homestead and saw quite a few bulls so I was very optimistic.

Day 1
Ryan had a hard time sleeping that night of course but he was up at 5:30 ready to go, we picked up my uncle at Tchesinkut Lake and headed out to Uncha Lake. Just after light we got to where we were going to hunt, my uncle went down the road and in and we walked into a block right beside a bedding area I had hunted since I was 12. Ryan and I worked through 2 small blocks and started heading to the bedding area when I saw a nice 4 point whitey, Ryan was behind me so I tried to get his attention and after a minute I whispered his name loudly. Well of course the buck noticed and started to work his way towards the edge of the block, Ryan was unable to get a good shot so we tried to cut it off but it didnt happen. My boy was quite upset between not getting to shoot the deer and getting poked right beside his eye trying to get around it. No big deal I told him white tails are habitual we'll get him tomorrow. We ended up seeing all cows that day and 1 bull in the dark after we dropped my uncle off.

Day 2
Same drill as the day before, we get out and my uncle decides to go off after a moose we bumped the day before and Ryan and I go off to see if that buck is in that block again. We worked in and get to the top of the block on this ridge and sure enough here is the buck tending a doe and heading our way. I tell Ryan to take a knee and get ready for his shot when he gets where I want him I will whistle and he takes the shot. He gets behind a shrub with a log in front and I whistle he is about 50 yards off but behind the log, so I whisper to Ryan just above the shoulder blade in the middle of the neck. Crack and he's down, you could tell he was down for good so we ran over and the deer was taking his last couple of breaths, Ryan had paralysed him with his shot. It was hard getting him to smile for the pics but I was smiling from ear to ear and I'm pretty proud.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDAtMjAxMDEwMjEtMDgyNS5qcGc.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDMtMjAxMDEwMjEtMDg0OS5qcGc.jpg

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDItMjAxMDEwMjEtMDg0OS5qcGc.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/gibblewabble/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDEtMjAxMDEwMjEtMDg0OS5qcGc.jpg
His Great Grandfather gave him his Greatgrandmother's 7x57 Remington with the deal that he had to give him some steaks if he got a deer and I will be dropping them off next week. Good times.

SHAKER
10-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Great job... Looks like another up and comeing die hard hunter in the mix...... Just try and soak in all the info you can from the old guys, I can really help you get off to a good hunt'n career.

LYKTOHUNT
10-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Great buck, great shot ,congrats to the boy and you are a fortunate man

kennyj
10-31-2010, 07:20 AM
Doesn't look like he's having any trouble smiling to me. Great buck! Great photos. Great shot. Thanks for the story.
kenny

Caveman
10-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Great deer , Great Smile, Congrats! to both of you!

doubled
10-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Great memories that will last a lifetime. Congrats to both of you.

john-brennan
10-31-2010, 08:20 AM
That is a kill shot, great job.

Steeleco
10-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Well done Ryan, great buck. You too Dad!!

pnbrock
10-31-2010, 08:57 AM
nicely done that buck looks good on him .

remington666
10-31-2010, 10:17 AM
very nice ,excellent shot and a great story well done

bigben
10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Awesome , and the calibre is just right for the kid 7x57 if only dads new what this gun can do ......congratulation and many more happy returns

d6dan
10-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Nice buck Ryan!. Congrats to you and your dad..

375 ultramag
10-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Nice first deer Ryan, Way to go. You are going to be a great hunter. Well done dad .

gibblewabble
10-31-2010, 11:36 AM
7x57 is a great caliber for kids and he told me he didn't even feel the kick and yes that is one nice first deer. When I was a kid hunting that area there were only muley's and moose in that area. He is hooked and cant wait to hang the rack in his room.

rocksteady
10-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Congrats Ryan...Great deer and good shootin.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Not too shabby on the old man either getting a youngster into a great pastime...:-D

Gunner Staal
10-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Way to go boys. Great whitey

cavebear
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
my sons cant wait. :-D

Congratulations to a master marksmen!

gibblewabble
10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
We were there for a week and close to the end he was bugging me that he was going to have to shoot a moose so we could fill the freezer, its nice to have a hunting partner so handy and its even easier to get the wife to let me out :wink:.

ydouask
10-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Built-in hunting partners, can't beat'em. Congratulations.

gibblewabble
10-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Yep now I am working on my 9 year old daughter, my 3 year old son just cant wait already.

valleycowboy
11-01-2010, 05:00 AM
great story and congrats on a sweet buck!!!!
when my son shot his last year,i'm not sure who was happier,him or me,lol.
gotta love seeing the kids out getting their animals.

gibblewabble
12-25-2010, 08:39 PM
According to my Grandfather my uncle and I were more excited.

jaeger
12-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Congratulation Ryan,
That is an awesome buck and even better shot! No Meat wasted.
That will fill the freezer!

troutseeker
12-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Awesome hunting Ryan, and it is great that you got your Great grandmother's 7x57 Remington!

hunter1947
12-26-2010, 03:43 AM
That shot was as good as anyone can take on a game animal ,the deer you got is a dandy WT deer ,smile on your face tells it all.

Congrats to you Ryan on getting this fine animal ,congrats to dad for being there for you you both did a fantastic job getting this deer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..