PDA

View Full Version : Goat 7-03 Question

PGKris
05-22-2006, 08:37 PM
So I'm going to put in for goat in 7-03 D or 7-03 I I'm not sure which yet. Anyone ever had one of these draws? What is the access like? What are the population numbers like? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks,
Kris

scuba
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
i've never hunted goat back there but have done some scouting, goats are definately around, but the access is rugged atleast 5-6 hours of timber to get through before opening up.

BCrams
05-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I've hunted goats in 7-03 myself and have accompanied other guys with draws when I was unlucky and we have taken a few goats. I have been in all the draw zones including D and I.

It is not an easy hunt and much of the country where the goats are is quite rugged. You will find the goats fairly spread out and you could realistically still look over a chunk of mountain in any zone before you find goats. The population isn't exactly 'great' which is why that area of 7-03 is LEH as the population is recovering from hoof rot they suffered from a number of years ago.

That said, goats can be had for those who work hard for them.

PGKris
05-23-2006, 07:28 PM
So this is definitely a week trip? I thought so. Is it actually 5-6 hours up to timberline?? I can probably make 10 kms in 6 hours. I'm thinking about going as far as I can up the horsey road then hikin it. I still need a good topo of that area. Haven't got it yet. What is access like?

scuba
05-23-2006, 08:35 PM
sorry, i read your post wrong i thought you had 7-02 (valemount) as the area. i actually got a goat last year in 7-03 J. if i could figure out how to send a private message i could give you some info. i've hunted a few of the areas around there.