PDA

View Full Version : Almost Cat Food!!

adamgarbett
10-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Last saturday evening i got dropped off at a nice little overgrown road that was calling to me. It was a perfect evening, light rain a little fog, nice and quiet. I walked to the end of the road that ran along the bottom of a real nice cut. I noticed a pounded trail running up a nice ridge with a plateau on top with fresh moose and deer tracks. I figured i would head up and park myself for a little buck grunting. Once i got to the top i found a big bed from the night before so i sat down and started to grunt. After 45 min of grunting, glassing and hearing snaps and cracks coming form all around me getting my heart going i figured it was getting dark enough to start heading out. At first i was going to walk along the bottom of the cut and try to see somthing i had missed while grunting and glassing. A second thought told me to turn around and walk the road out, much quicker and quiter as it was getting dark fast. As i stood up and turned around 7 yards away was a cougar crouched ready to pounce. I dont know how i acted so fast but it was safety, crosshairs on cat, BANG! Cat Down! Thank you .300 win mag! Two flicks of the tail and it was dead.

I jumped off a 8ft drop to a small sand slide and down the road i went thanking my blessings without even looking at the cougar. Once my buddys picked me up we went back to look at the cat. After IDing the animal i called the CO's to report the incident. Cougars were in season in that region but i had no tag.

The officer told me to feild dress the cat and he would come by in the morning to pick it up. After a night of pics and "holy sh!ts" the officer came by and congratulated me for the good shot (in the chest, out the arse hole) and doing the right thing. The cat measured 5'10, WHAT A CRAZY NIGHT

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/IMAG0155.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/IMAG0159.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/IMAG0165.jpg

island grown
10-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Glad it worked out for you and no hassles from the CO. I had a similar experience last year. Took my brother for an evening hunt, sitting on the high spot in a block using a doe bleat call. Nothing for about 45min. Just getting ready to leave when the biggest cat I've seen comes over the bank at about 20yrds. He came right for the doe call. He must have winded us because he turned into the block and couldn't see him after that. Amazing how they can disappear in such low grass and brush.
Cheers,

cainer
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
good story-betcha were pretty glad you turned around eh? Got any pics?

BlacktailStalker
10-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Pic didnt work.
I woulda told him to pack it out, dress it and pick it up himself if he was going to take it.

trencher
10-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow, that was a little close for comfort eh. I have often wondered about that when I've been calling deer. Be glad for instincts!

adamgarbett
10-30-2010, 02:51 PM
cant get the pics to work

BigfishCanada
10-30-2010, 03:15 PM
HOLLY CRAP!!!! Good on you, and its nice to see you back to tell the story!

Everett
10-30-2010, 04:03 PM
I had the same thing last year but I told the Co they could have it if they could find it.

adamgarbett
10-30-2010, 04:08 PM
I am still hoping to get it back. I am applying for a wildlife possesion permit so wish me luck lol

Everett
10-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I would be suprised if you got it they will give you the chance to buy it at auction.

adamgarbett
10-30-2010, 05:06 PM
thats what my taxidermist said too. i should be able to get it pretty cheep too but is the drive to PG worth it?????

kgs
10-30-2010, 05:14 PM
congrats glad to hear your not cat food LOL

boxhitch
10-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Lota of guys would by a 'just in case' tag if it didn't cost 30 friggin dollars.
Glad you were civil with the CO and glad he was civil with you.

Yotapup
10-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Lota of guys would by a 'just in case' tag if it didn't cost 30 friggin dollars.
Glad you were civil with the CO and glad he was civil with you.

$30! wow...

After reading all these close call stories lately I was thinking about getting a "just in case" tag... but for that money, I dunno

cainer
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
That's a nice lookin cat-looks like you got to keep it? hanging in the garage? If not-I'd say go get it...good story to show and tell the friends when they come over

Mr. Friendly
11-01-2010, 09:46 PM
that's quite the story and the experience to relate in the future! as for the $30 tag...that's not much money, and it's put to good use. :)

horshur
11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
30 bucks is a case of beer

11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
30 bucks is a case of beer

not if you buy lucky

TSW
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Good work on the fast reaction. Great to hear of an honest hunter too!! Well done, and thanks for the pics!

laredo318
11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
"I dont know how i acted so fast but it was safety, crosshairs on cat, BANG! Cat Down! Thank you .300 win mag! Two flicks of the tail and it was dead. "

So, I guess we would assume, your vote, would be to walk with one in the pipe???
Good reactions!! Glad you are OK!!!!

Phreddy
11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Like I've always said, "Big cats can be very dangerous. A little pussy, however, never hurt anyone."

adamgarbett
01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Has anyone ever been to this wildlife auction??? how can u register to bid??

Caveman
01-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I am still hoping to get it back. I am applying for a wildlife possesion permit so wish me luck lol

I went through the same thing a few years back. Applied to keep it and hadto apply through Victoria as a mediator and back and forth with the CO and after a long drawn out process of 14 months it was decided that I could not keep the cat. Hopefully you have better luck than I. Glad to hear you're here to tell the tale

adamgarbett
01-27-2011, 07:05 AM
It's frustrating. Now I wish I just threw it in the box of my truck and went and bought a tag. Sometimes doing the "right thing" is discouraging:cry:

bayou
01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
It's frustrating. Now I wish I just threw it in the box of my truck and went and bought a tag. Sometimes doing the "right thing" is discouraging:cry:
Whys it frustrating IMO it should go to the COs and end of story, there should be no chance to get a permit to get it back and it should not be able to go to an auction to be bought back either.

BiG Boar
01-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. You did the right thing, you're hailed a hero. Now you're suggesting next time you'll just poach it? You're going from hero to zero really quick. Did you mean that?

AT&T
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Had the same thing happen fall before last. The cat would just not stop. The CO was good about the whole thing. He said most situations like this are from young cats. Glad neither of us didnt end up with cat teeth in our necks.

Last saturday evening i got dropped off at a nice little overgrown road that was calling to me. It was a perfect evening, light rain a little fog, nice and quiet. I walked to the end of the road that ran along the bottom of a real nice cut. I noticed a pounded trail running up a nice ridge with a plateau on top with fresh moose and deer tracks. I figured i would head up and park myself for a little buck grunting. Once i got to the top i found a big bed from the night before so i sat down and started to grunt. After 45 min of grunting, glassing and hearing snaps and cracks coming form all around me getting my heart going i figured it was getting dark enough to start heading out. At first i was going to walk along the bottom of the cut and try to see somthing i had missed while grunting and glassing. A second thought told me to turn around and walk the road out, much quicker and quiter as it was getting dark fast. As i stood up and turned around 7 yards away was a cougar crouched ready to pounce. I dont know how i acted so fast but it was safety, crosshairs on cat, BANG! Cat Down! Thank you .300 win mag! Two flicks of the tail and it was dead.

I jumped off a 8ft drop to a small sand slide and down the road i went thanking my blessings without even looking at the cougar. Once my buddys picked me up we went back to look at the cat. After IDing the animal i called the CO's to report the incident. Cougars were in season in that region but i had no tag.

The officer told me to feild dress the cat and he would come by in the morning to pick it up. After a night of pics and "holy sh!ts" the officer came by and congratulated me for the good shot (in the chest, out the arse hole) and doing the right thing. The cat measured 5'10, WHAT A CRAZY NIGHT

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/IMAG0155.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/IMAG0159.jpg

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/twojoints444/IMAG0165.jpg

adamgarbett
01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Why's that bayou

budismyhorse
01-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm with Bayou......I personally don't feel you should be able to get a permit to keep something you had to shoot in defence. If you could, suddenly "defence" would be stretched out to 20 yards....40 yards...ect.

however, glad your still alive......I know several of these types of stories....some fired shots into the ground....others into the beasts....better than ending up cat shat.

Craven200
01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
You did the right thing bucks&trucks.
No ones gonna tell their kid to lie next time so he doesn't get a spanking!
Plus, with this scenerio, every scum bag out their would be shooting cougars, grizzlies etc in "defence" w/o buying a tag if they were issued a permit after the fact. Unfortunately they ruin it for the honest guy.

budismyhorse
01-27-2011, 05:27 PM
BTW.......the value of this animal would be deemed more than $200 therefore you will not be given a permit by the crown.

I just went through this entire process. ....so its fresh in my mind.

pappy
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I shot a wolverine last spring while bear hunting and the same outcome happened to me. They were happy I called them right away and no more issues for me or them. I was not allowed to keep the cape either unless I bid at the auction. The C.O. said they make money at the auction and put it towards game management and the cape gets put to use by whom ever buys it. I think that is a good way to deal with these type of incidents.

Caveman
01-27-2011, 06:08 PM

I know how you feel. I felt the same way, but in the nd I see the side of the F&W as it prevents every Tom, Dick and Harry from claiming self defence from every type of wildlife. Then we may as well eliminate the regs and open everything up

bayou
01-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Why's that bayou
For many of the reasons allready posted, opens to big of a can of worms. This goes for other animals as well not just animals shoot in defence, such as short sheep etc.
Shot, poached found animals etc should be used for museums or educational exhibits etc.
As for animals shot in defence I feel lots should not even be shot, they are shot out of fear and lack of knowledge of the animal and are not about to eat people as so many say.

adamgarbett
01-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Don't shoot an animal un self defence eh? Ya I guess i should have just let that cougar kill me so my daughter could grow up without a dad! Seven yards is too close for me. The CO said I did the right thing and congradulated me with a hand shake. By how skinny the cat was he said it was there for one reason, FOOD. BUT THANX FOR UR 2 CENTS BAYOU

Phreddy
01-28-2011, 09:22 AM
As for animals shot in defence I feel lots should not even be shot, they are shot out of fear and lack of knowledge of the animal and are not about to eat people as so many say.

You'll never know until you're in that position yourself. Hope you never are. It can be a cold hard world out there.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
For many of the reasons allready posted, opens to big of a can of worms. This goes for other animals as well not just animals shoot in defence, such as short sheep etc.
Shot, poached found animals etc should be used for museums or educational exhibits etc.

The same thing happens when people start carrying around hand guns...irrational fear can make bad things happen.

Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure if the animals intention was to attack or if it was just curious. I've had deer walk to within a few feet of me.....and I don't think they had any intention of making a snack out of my loins???

In this situation, probably better safe than sorry.

BabineGuide
01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
This cat came in to my cow moose call Sept 2008. Pretty interesting experience. The CO was fair... It seemed they were mostly interested in determining the bullet path.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww120/MOUNTAINPHTROY/mecoug.jpg

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
This cat came in to my cow moose call Sept 2008. Pretty interesting experience. The CO was fair... It seemed they were mostly interested in determining the bullet path.

http://http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww120/MOUNTAINPHTROY/mecoug.jpg

That is a big cat!!! You must have felt pretty threatened when it came too close??

BabineGuide
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
It was definitely intense. We were calling in a bull at the time...the cat just came out of nowhere at high speed(which i know isn't their usual hunting style..) We had no time to shout, wave our arms etc.

I shot him at 20 steps, in the chest...out the back left ham.

Philcott
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Man, that's a big healthy looking cat.

BabineGuide
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Man, that's a big healthy looking cat.

He definitely was in seemingly great shape. I am 6'1 and 210lbs...this cat was at least my size.