PDA

View Full Version : Taking the boy out!

Caveman
10-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Finally after what has already been a great fall, I'm finally going to get my son out hunting for the first time, with his own tags and license. I'm struggling with a small dilemma. I've already taken a bull elk, with my dad, been part of a party of six with 3 moose, my dad, cousins and a couple buddies. I'm telling myself that I won't allow him to take a buck unless it is a good sized 4 point, because we don't need it. I plan on spending a ton of time showing him the ins and outs of hunting as in identifying sign, tracks and behaviors. I know this will be of great value and a great opportunity to teach him things rather that shoot the first legal buck because it will be his first. In one hand I feel I am robbing him of that first experience of a kill, but on the other I think the lessons will be just as much a memory for him. I think I have held out until now so I didn't have the choice to make as to let him, or not, take a smaller buck. In the end there is more to hunting than just the kill.

If we happen to run into an immy, well I'll be hard pressed to have him pass on that.

Gunner Staal
10-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I agree with you on most points. But after having my nephew take his first 2 point last year....remember that in their mind...that 2 point might as well be a B&C book deer. Sounds like you know what your doing, but after seeing the little guys face last year...I wouldnt think twice about letting him take the deer that "he" wants to take. Good luck out there.

Caveman
10-29-2010, 11:38 PM
If he was younger than he is I would agree, but he's fifteen so I think the finer points of the sport and the thrill of a few stalks might be enough for him. In the end, I'm just glad that he has decided he wants to do it, and it's something we may share for a lifetime as my dad & I have.

16ga
10-29-2010, 11:48 PM
You know your son best so of course it is up to you. I like that you are teaching him that sport and the importance of not taking more than you need. To bad you filled your freezer, but maybe you could find out if anyone (food kitchens or single Mom, or something) could use the meat, that way he could take an animal and not waste it, best of all he could share. I am pretty sure he would be happy with any deer, a smaller one might be better to learn to field dress and pack.
Good luck, have fun!

Caveman
10-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Well it gets better, he has a late season either sex elk draw as well, another reason to hold out. Only thing keeping him out of that would be his grades, and I'm sure I could find a home for elk meat.

Dually
10-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Not trying to Critisize because everyone has a different opinion on views of this nature but with a freezer full of meat and it being his first hunt, it sounds like the point of there being "more to hunting than just the kill" is that the message may be " there's more to hunting than just the kill...unless you see a trophy" in this case. I know my first was a 3 point moose when I was fourteen and like was stated before it may as well have been a B & C for all I cared. I still remember shaking almost uncontrollably with excitement.

Anyway hope either way you have a great time with your son, and good luck out there

doubled
10-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Good luck man, enjoy your time with your boy out in the bush.

Glenny
10-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Not trying to Critisize because everyone has a different opinion on views of this nature but with a freezer full of meat and it being his first hunt, it sounds like the point of there being "more to hunting than just the kill" is that the message may be " there's more to hunting than just the kill...unless you see a trophy" in this case. I know my first was a 3 point moose when I was fourteen and like was stated before it may as well have been a B & C for all I cared. I still remember shaking almost uncontrollably with excitement.

Anyway hope either way you have a great time with your son, and good luck out there
He's been taught good. Let the young man decide. Just sayen

frenchbar
10-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Finally after what has already been a great fall, I'm finally going to get my son out hunting for the first time, with his own tags and license. I'm struggling with a small dilemma. I've already taken a bull elk, with my dad, been part of a party of six with 3 moose, my dad, cousins and a couple buddies. I'm telling myself that I won't allow him to take a buck unless it is a good sized 4 point, because we don't need it. I plan on spending a ton of time showing him the ins and outs of hunting as in identifying sign, tracks and behaviors. I know this will be of great value and a great opportunity to teach him things rather that shoot the first legal buck because it will be his first. In one hand I feel I am robbing him of that first experience of a kill, but on the other I think the lessons will be just as much a memory for him. I think I have held out until now so I didn't have the choice to make as to let him, or not, take a smaller buck. In the end there is more to hunting than just the kill.

If we happen to run into an immy, well I'll be hard pressed to have him pass on that.

sounds good caveman... ive done the like with my sons ..teaching them as we go and pretty much leave the decisions of takeing an animal strictly up to them...enjoy it while it lasts ..they grow up quick..and girls become their priority:mrgreen:over hunting lol ...at least with mine:-| lol .

lynx
10-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Well with the frezzer its your call i guess. BUT here you want a boy to hunt and thats what he should be doing, Hunting.... hunting is just that, to go out into the wild, find an animal and bring it home if posible. At a boys age he will want to be proud of his accomplihment, and show his folks and friends that he is a hunter. Not go out and I could have killed a deer but dad wouldnt let me shoot because we dont need the meat.

Remember when you were a boy and couldnt wait to kill something. I say let him kill a deer and just the smile that you see from ear to ear is a great memory for you and you son well its in is blood now as well.

Give the meat to some needy people if he gets a deer. he can be more proud of doing a good deed like that and yet making some family happy at the dinner table this winter.

I hope you both have a great time and have great memories of his first kill.

Please let us know how it goes. good luck

Gunsmoke
10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
You already have elk and moose, yet you say you would be hard pressed to pass up an immy moose and would like to go for any sex elk for the elk meat ??? If you are willing to take these class of animals; why not let him take his own deer regardless of antler size??

Enjoy

LYKTOHUNT
10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
x2 on this one, some one can always use the meat or he may be just as happy to go for the experience and would be happy and so would you with either situation .I would be very happy about taking a young person out and seeing them get their first game animal or also would be very proud for them to hold out for a class of animal that might be beyond if it is brown its down class. I have two daughters that did not take up the hunting bug and that is fine but I sure would have liked being able to be involved with them in something I sure enjoy. "just sayen again"

bighornbob
10-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Drop the deer off at my place, my freezer is empty:-D

BHB

john-brennan
10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
X2 you have done your part, with my first son I let him decide and he held out for a nice fork, and has shot 5 more since all being forks or larger. All have been his choice which has contributed with him being a very good hunter as he has always made the call and at 19 he has made me proud of the hunter he has become.

JCVD
10-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Can't go wrong with more meat lol. I'd let him choose what he wants because whatever keeps him excited about hunting is a good thing. Then next season if you want to get a big guy with him, plan it out with him. Get him excited about finding,stalking and dropping a cranker. Buy him some vids for the summer to help =)

burger
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Could he not have accompanied you on one of your earlier hunts and then the dilemma of over harvest would be a non issue?

He is 15 with his own tags.

swampthing
10-30-2010, 04:59 PM
You will have fun no matter what. That late season tag should be a hoot. Have you got your sights on your mulie yet?

GoatGuy
10-30-2010, 05:03 PM
There's plenty of places to donate meat if you figure you won't eat it.

For a youngster generally hunting's kinda like fishing. If you want to get them hooked on fishing get them hooking fish.

You've got a couple more years to get your kid hooked on hunting, if it doesn't happen soon chances are it won't.

MattB
10-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Let him shoot any legal deer he wants to. I had opportunities at deer for 1.5 seasons before I finally connected. Me and my dad had a few chances for me to get my first buck but 1 of the times he counted 4 points and shot (missed). Another time he said the deer was too far for me to shoot so he shot at it from maybe 130m and missed. Another time he didn't allow me to shoot at a 4 point that was on the drivers side of the road...he jumped out, shot and missed it. I remember all these times and remember being pissed off as I never got the opportunity to shoot in any of those instances. Now I can't stand road hunting and me and …y dad don't hunt too much together (he's more the road hunting type). Find your son a buck and make a memory!

mark
10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
I wouldnt put any restrictions on it for him, just tell him its his choice to make!
Just make sure he gets one, I shot tons of spikes and fork horns in my younger days!
He's got the rest of his life to trophy hunt!

Brambles
10-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Buy another freezer you cheapskate.....Takes a long time for meat to go bad if you double wrap it, pressure off the freezer for more than one season is never a bad thing. You might not be as fortunate next year.

SURGE
10-30-2010, 09:52 PM
hey caveman one of the best things is being able to go hunting with your son/daughter and being able to see them take ther first animal. my oldest son who is 7 has been shooting his 22 for a year or so killing a 1000 pop cans, this year he got his first chicken. he was smilling for a week,i will never forgett that day and can't wait for the day of his first deer!!!! good luck to both of you

Caveman
10-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Buy another freezer you cheapskate.....Takes a long time for meat to go bad if you double wrap it, pressure off the freezer for more than one season is never a bad thing. You might not be as fortunate next year.

:wink: Hey Smart Ass, as a matter of fact I did, delivered yesterday, I now have 540lb of elk, & 236 lb of moose meat from 2010, not to mention bison burger and moose meat from a couple years ago. As well as 2 dozen Sockeye from this fall. I actually have three freezers now. Talked the wife into a second 17cuft upright.