PDA

View Full Version : Limited Entry Hunt Fairness

Peter
10-29-2010, 08:55 PM
So I've been hunting now for 5 years, later in my life, but better late than never. Every year I have put in for LEH draws for moose and deer and so far have never been successful. I have heard of many others who have had the same experience, some with many more years under their belt than I. In some cases there are hunters who seem to be very lucky, getting draws on a regular basis. I know that the draw is equal odds for everyone every year, but wonder if there has been any thought given to increasing slightly the odds of unsuccessful hunters incrementally each year they do not get a draw. This would give these hunters some greater window of hope as they submitt their annual $6 cards to the Ministry.

Make any sense???

Peter

Steeleco
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Treat it like the 6-49 1 in 14million odds. Some win, some don't. There's still lots of other animals to hunt outside the LEH system.

dougan
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
This is year #20 for me without as much as a doe draw. i figure im gona re take the core course and get a new # that should do the trick!!!

Drillbit
10-29-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm with you dougan, that's the trick. First timers always win.

Savage Man
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Same as always all the guys that I know here in the Kootenays think the system is poor and needs to be changed, but what do we know we live on the
other side of Hope (HOPE BC)where their seems to be no hope when it comes to politics.

coach
10-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Peter, your suggestion has merit. How would you suggest this to be implemented?

RJ
10-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I think if you get a successful draw your odds are reduced for a few years. Try putting in for draws with better odds.

edit...

here it is...

ENHANCED ODDS
Over the years, many unsuccessful Limited Entry applicants have suggested that the draw should be changed to
increase the chances of those who were previously not drawn. In 1993, a new ‘enhanced odds’ system was intro-
duced, on a trial basis, for elk in the Kootenays (Region 4). The new system reduced (by up to 50%) the likeli-
hood of being drawn for elk anywhere in Region 4 if the applicant had been drawn in the previous year. Thus, by
reducing the chances of being drawn for previously successful applicants, this system improved the odds for
those who had been unsuccessful. It is important to note that previously successful people could still be drawn,
but their chances were reduced compared to those who had not been previously drawn.
After a three year trial period and consultation with the B.C. Wildlife Federation, this system was introduced
province wide for all species except for mule deer and white-tailed deer.Anyone who submits an application for a
species (other than mule deer and white-tailed deer) they were drawn for the previous year has their chance of
being drawn reduced by 50% compared to a previously unsuccessful applicant. In the case of moose and
(Roosevelt) elk in Regions 1 & 2, anyone drawn in the previous three years will have their chances reduced by
66%.
THE DRAW:
THE COMPUTER CHECKS ALLAPPLICANTS FOR PREVIOUS SUCCESS
When all application errors have been resolved and all applications have been placed in the computer file, it is
time to run the draw.
Immediately prior to the draw, a special computer program is run which checks all applications against the draw
results from the previous year and for moose applications and Region 1 & 2 elk applications, the draw results
from the previous two years. Any applicants who were previously drawn and have applied again for the same
species are noted, and a ‘flag’ is added to their application record. Only applications from hunters who were previ-
ously drawn receive these ‘flags’.

urbanhermit
10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
LeH is cruel, years of yearning, pining, wanting, praying , hoping, for one then when you least expect it,after almost giving up, your @$$hole neighbor gets one..

Gateholio
10-29-2010, 09:50 PM
If you WANT to get an LEH- apply for 1:1/:2/:3 Good chance

If you want a decent chance but are okay with not getting it, apply for 1: 5/7

If you want to Hail Mary it- apply for anything else.:-D

huntsooke1
10-29-2010, 10:01 PM
my brother first year put in got 4 out of 5 draws i almost fell over , then he says what did you get , i said the same as usuall

Chuck
10-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I've heard of people winning the lottery more than one time, with ridiculous odds. How can this be at all possible? The only thing I can think of is that they spend a heck of a lot on tickets to better the odds.

So if there's any truth to this theory and we apply it to the LEH, then I would think that if a hunter wants to better his odds, then he should pay more by buying more chances at getting drawn.

Sounds to me that this system could easily be twisted and possibly lead to the dreaded "canned" hunts we sometimes hear about, or something like a "pay-to-hunt" system, which I personally don't agree with either, but what may eventually come in time with our population growth and higher costs are used as a method of tighter control.

I think picking better odds is about the best a guy can do for now, even if it means working harder and paying a bit more like Gatehouse mentioned.

Shooter Jr.
10-29-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm with you dougan, that's the trick. First timers always win.
I'm going to disagree with you on that one, I didn't get my vancouver island limited entry elk last year:mrgreen:

Gateholio
10-29-2010, 11:48 PM
First timers don't always get it. It's likely that when a first time r gets it, that it makes "news" though

I didn't get an LEH for almost 10 years, now I get one every year or 2.:-D

bridger
10-30-2010, 06:57 AM
getting an leh authorization for an anterless deer or elk draw at good odds is one thing, but the system really sucks onhunts like bison or grizzly bear. there indeed needs to be some changes made and currently the leh policy is under review.

ratherbefishin
10-30-2010, 07:25 AM
I suggest that it could be made more effective if you got a chance to elect one moose between three guys instead of two.We waited five years to get our coveted ''any bull'' in a 6 to 1 odds area with abundant moose-but mathematicly we should be able to draw 2 moose every three years,or 1 moose every two years on a ''shared''hunt .The last time we were drawn was 5 years ago, we did not fill our tag
I'm not even sure the system is producing more moose anyway....we've had LEH ,immatures ,and calves restrictions for years and I don't see the odds coming down or the population increasing-all with FEWER hunters in the field.If it is working-I'd like to see the proof

west250
10-30-2010, 07:38 AM
I've won 2 draws in my 20 plus years of putting in for them. One was for island elk with a 1:9 odds ratio, the other was for moose with a 1:3 odds ratio. Playing the odds is your best bet... In the future, go for the hunts with favorable numbers and you might get lucky.

pitbell
10-30-2010, 07:57 AM
There's nothing fair about our system. It sucks balls.
We need a priority points system like everywhere else.

wos
10-30-2010, 08:17 AM
leh is just gambling, you play the odds, sometimes you win! the best part is it usually brings your hunting group or groups together in the off season for a good b.s session and maybe a drink while you fill out your tickets.It doesn't seem that bad to me. What a lot of people seem to forget is leh tags don't guarantee a successful hunt. You have to get out in the bush and actually hunt. As you may know B.C. offers lots of great g.o.s hunts that can offer good opportunity if you put in the time.

by the way welcome to the site peter

Devilbear
10-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I have done quite well at getting LEH draws, but, I detest the system and want it eliminated. It is in place so the often-foreign "owned" GOs can get their greedy paws on OUR game and I would do anything to get that stopped permanently.

I have not done so well at succeeding with these draws as something always seems to go wrong, vehicles develop problems, roads are closed by avalanches and partners "bail" after two days of rain and start to "need" to go home. But, dems duh brakes, eh!

If, we NEED a LEH system, it should be a "preference points" system, there should be NO "quota" for GOS or ANY "non-resident" hunting in these areas and all hunting there, including that by aboriginals, should be strictly monitored. When, we BCers develop the "sack" to fight for and protect our birthrights, perhaps this will happen.....I ain't holding my breath...............

pearljam
10-30-2010, 08:43 AM
We have it pretty good, the guys drawing every year put in for 1:1 odd areas or less. They are low odds because they are usually shitty areas to hunt. no game, bad access, ect.....

I lived with the Alberta system for a few years and it sucked. Here I dont bank on getting LEH draws to make my year. We have the best GOS out there. get out there and take advantage of it.

My dad and I didnt get any LEH draws this year but we have still managed to get... 2 bull moose over 50", an 8" billy, a wolf, 2 white tail bucks, a white tail doe, A caribou, and a few grouse........

stop your bitching and get out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MuleyMadness
10-30-2010, 08:55 AM
If you WANT to get an LEH- apply for 1:1/:2/:3 Good chance

If you want a decent chance but are okay with not getting it, apply for 1: 5/7

If you want to Hail Mary it- apply for anything else.:-D

Exactly...way too many folks apply for Elk on the Island, Sheep in Kamloops, etc etc and expect these hail marys to come in successful. You want to get one, apply to the low odds hunts...but here is the kicker, there is a reason they are low odds, be that maybe far away from the majority in the province (lower mainland), difficult access, poor conditions (winter hunts in the Peace), etc. Also putting in for Shared hunts for moose really helps improve your chances of being drawn, as one successful draw means everyone in the group gets to hunt the LEH.

No it's not perfect, but the system in AB with all the priorities is so wildly complicated in some aspects I just don't want to bother with something that difficult. Perhaps a simple 'you were successful with that animal last year, this year you are reduced by 33.% for that animal' type of system would be good...kind of what they are doing with Moose and Elk.

However that being said, the system is actually perfectly fair, as it's completely random chance that get you your draws...no matter what the red pen/black pen/kiss the form while wearing red lipstick crowd say :)

KB90
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I've never won on any scratch tickets I bought I think it's only fair they increase my odds every year until I win.... What do you think? Definition of lottery: any process or happening that is to be determined by chance..... How is a lottery not fair?

luckynuts
10-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I've never won on any scratch tickets I bought I think it's only fair they increase my odds every year until I win.... What do you think? Definition of lottery: any process or happening that is to be determined by chance..... How is a lottery not fair?

Right on the money KB90! I have put in for LEH rosies since I was 16 i'm coming up 40 never took a draw, I've put in Bison for over 10 yrs never got a draw. However I did get a moose draw in 5-02 about 12 years ago I have also had 5 -6 grizzly draws:mrgreen:. (Hopefully I will be able to write a story on Dark Secret:wink:) The grizz draws are easy odds but really shitty area to hunt but because I know and work in the area I apply for it.

I think we should really stop our bitchin as we can hunt every species here in BC except for grizz buff and Rosies.. Oops I forgot about Dalls. Everywhere else Can't period without paying an outfitter or waiting for years to get priority points. Quit the bitchin and enjoy what BC has to offer. If your serious on hunting everything in BC plan accordingly and put in for only 4 that you can't plan for. My 2 cents

W.

dougal
10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
one of the guys I work with has been putting in for a grizz every year "15 some odd" and just got drawn this year but because work sucks and the economy is crap couldn't afford to go .
and in the five years i have been putting in for other draws Ive never been drawn

Devilbear
10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
We have it pretty good, the guys drawing every year put in for 1:1 odd areas or less. They are low odds because they are usually shitty areas to hunt. no game, bad access, ect.....

I lived with the Alberta system for a few years and it sucked. Here I dont bank on getting LEH draws to make my year. We have the best GOS out there. get out there and take advantage of it.

My dad and I didnt get any LEH draws this year but we have still managed to get... 2 bull moose over 50", an 8" billy, a wolf, 2 white tail bucks, a white tail doe, A caribou, and a few grouse........

stop your bitching and get out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW do you KNOW what others are doing and what gives you the "right" to decide who is bitching or simply advocating a more equitable style of access to the game species that is my birthright and that of others here?

I want to see a simple, "preference points" system for BC citizens and much stricter restrictions on ALL "non-resident" access to BC game and fish. If, we do not have a population of a given species in a certain area that will sustain a short GOS, then the ONLY truely fair method of giving access to some of these per year would be by such a system, so, that every taxpaying BC citizen gets the greatest opportunity to hunt OUR resources.

sheephunter17
10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I dont understand what your guys adversion to a draw system is? I live in alberta and think its a pretty slick system. We have GOS tags the same as you BUT we know for certain that in time we will get our draws. Yes some draws are totally unattainable like some sheep draws, but then again there are more GOS areas then draw areas. I can plan my tags with a high percentage of accuracy every year. To me it seems like a better idea than "luck of the draw".

Gateholio
10-30-2010, 03:17 PM
SInce the same LEH topics keep coming up over and over ad nauseam, I decided to sticky the LEH thread we had some time back. It answers many of the questions posed on this and every other LEH thread...

Here it is

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11203

pearljam
10-30-2010, 06:48 PM
HOW do you KNOW what others are doing and what gives you the "right" to decide who is bitching or simply advocating a more equitable style of access to the game species that is my birthright and that of others here?

I want to see a simple, "preference points" system for BC citizens and much stricter restrictions on ALL "non-resident" access to BC game and fish. If, we do not have a population of a given species in a certain area that will sustain a short GOS, then the ONLY truely fair method of giving access to some of these per year would be by such a system, so, that every taxpaying BC citizen gets the greatest opportunity to hunt OUR resources.

Wow wow wow......... My comments aren't towards resident/non-resident priorty. this is just about LEH..... your talking about another can of worms here dude.....

I agree an animal should have to be on a GOS before non residents can come here and hunt.......

Im just saying guys that bitch about LEH think they are magic tags that guarantee a kill...... there not.

And if your really hard up to hunt sheep then there are a pile of GOS across the province, if you want to hunt doe's to put meat in the freezer then there are GOS areas in the province, you want to hunt any bull moose there are a pile of GOS areas in the province, you want to hunt bull or cow elk there are lots of GOS areas in the province, you want to hunt caribou.... once again there are a pile of GOS areas, you want goats..... guess what lots of GOS areas for them too, want me to go on?????

Grizzly bears, bison and rosie elk are really the only true LEH animals out there,

Grizzlies tags are pretty easy to get, lots of 1:1 odds and less for them,

I could see a priorty system for rosie and bison. but thats it.

I put thousands of KMs on my truck every fall. thats life. The guys that bitch are too lazy or cheap to travel to GOS areas. They want an "easy" tag in thier back yards........

And while these guys are sitting at home bitching about a random lottery tag they didn't win again, I'm out filling my freezer with awesome BC GOS animals,

PS: just added a nice 4x3 mule deer to the list this afternoon......

Devilbear
10-30-2010, 07:13 PM
My point is that a well-organized and operated "priority" type of draw system would make the actual opportunity for more BC citizens to hunt various populations in various regions more equitable and available. That, to me, is a biologically sound and socially just method of apportioning the resource that belongs to BCers. Obviously. this would not apply to species such as Whitetails, which are commonplace, but, might well work to everyone's advantage with respect to Dall's Sheep, RMB in the WKs and Boundary and so forth.

Your assumption that other hunters who do not do as you state that you do and put many "K's" on their trucks each season is hardly realistic and rather offensive. Many people are not ...cheap... or ...lazy..., they may be restricted by family issues, employment concerns, age and/or health and other life situations. So, your annual mileage in pursuit of game is not relevant and calling others names is, well,.......

Many hunters DO want to hunt near home and I think that a "priority" system will tend to even out the hunting pressure and give more REAL opportunity for a greater number of hunters here in BC. This, plus the maximum number and length of GOS on addition to sound game management and control of poachers and aboriginal slaughter is the way we should be going, IMHO.

During, the past seven years, I have been all over BC several times and have turned down invitations to hunt since last August, due to my wife's medical issues. I could be in Saskachewan in two weeks for a hunt and missed a hunt in the Yukon, two in the South Chilcotin and the GOS around Nelson, where I was born, raised and had a little to do with the Elk transplants there years ago.....many others also have such issues and we citizens of BC have the right to influence MoE policy to obtain the maximum access to our game near where we can practically hunt.

The LEH system benefits the GOs and foreigners and nobody else, it is time to change it...and, it WILL happen.

10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I believe the best change we could make to the LEH system is to simply scale it back and have more GOS. Seems to me there are a lot of LEH hunts in BC that could be short GOS hunts possibly with antler restriction or other measures to restrict harvest. LEH isn't the only way to restrict harvest, but it seems many managers back in the '80s and '90s thought it was, hence the large number of LEH hunts we have today,,,, unless of course you want to get into that touchy subject of LEH to create quality hunts.

Priority points or pool systems are not going to create more opportunity overall, there will still be the same number of hunters out there each year dictated by the target harvest. It only creates more opportunity for the individual since successful applicants are taken out of the picture for a few years......nothing wrong with that, it would work fine for hunts with odds of 1:1 to about 10:1. But remember that all things being equal, if the odds are 10:1 it's still going to take approximatelly 10 years to get to the top pool or earn enough points to secure an authorization. No possible guarantee for a Salmo sheep tag every five or even ten years with odds of 65:1. That's why in Alberta, in spite of the fact they have a priority points system the long odds hunts (similar to the salmo sheep hunt) are on random draw. Priority points or pool systems are not a solution for those type of situations and never will be.

Odds of 65:1 for ten tags at Salmo means there's 650 applicants. Ten successful applicants are taken off the top each year so ten can move up a pool, but with 650 people in the system it's still going to take 65 years (or 65 pools) to get to the top where an authorization can be guaranteed. If you limit it to ten pools and everyone moves up a pool each year, in nine years you have 10 people each in pools one to nine and 560 persons in pool ten, and you can't issue 560 tags so it's going to end up in a random draw for those 560 hunters anyway.

barry1974w
10-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I didn't read all the posts, but if you apply for hunts with 27:1 odds, expect to get drawn somewhere around every 27 years. As for better odds for people that haven't been drawn recently, it's called enhanced odds.

CanuckShooter
10-31-2010, 09:10 AM
I didn't read all the posts, but if you apply for hunts with 27:1 odds, expect to get drawn somewhere around every 27 years. As for better odds for people that haven't been drawn recently, it's called enhanced odds.

Wrong!! With each year the odds don't change...so you could never get drawn on a LEH application even at 2:1 odds.

Enhanced odds?? A total joke, I personally know one lady who has drawn Bull Moose 7-10, four out of five consecutive years...which is proof to me that the enhanced odds system is seriously flawed as this should be practically impossible.

pearljam
10-31-2010, 10:24 AM
I believe the best change we could make to the LEH system is to simply scale it back and have more GOS. Seems to me there are a lot of LEH hunts in BC that could be short GOS hunts possibly with antler restriction or other measures to restrict harvest. LEH isn't the only way to restrict harvest, but it seems many managers back in the '80s and '90s thought it was, hence the large number of LEH hunts we have today,,,, unless of course you want to get into that touchy subject of LEH to create quality hunts.

Priority points or pool systems are not going to create more opportunity overall, there will still be the same number of hunters out there each year dictated by the target harvest. It only creates more opportunity for the individual since successful applicants are taken out of the picture for a few years......nothing wrong with that, it would work fine for hunts with odds of 1:1 to about 10:1. But remember that all things being equal, if the odds are 10:1 it's still going to take approximatelly 10 years to get to the top pool or earn enough points to secure an authorization. No possible guarantee for a Salmo sheep tag every five or even ten years with odds of 65:1. That's why in Alberta, in spite of the fact they have a priority points system the long odds hunts (similar to the salmo sheep hunt) are on random draw. Priority points or pool systems are not a solution for those type of situations and never will be.

Odds of 65:1 for ten tags at Salmo means there's 650 applicants. Ten successful applicants are taken off the top each year so ten can move up a pool, but with 650 people in the system it's still going to take 65 years (or 65 pools) to get to the top where an authorization can be guaranteed. If you limit it to ten pools and everyone moves up a pool each year, in nine years you have 10 people each in pools one to nine and 560 persons in pool ten, and you can't issue 560 tags so it's going to end up in a random draw for those 560 hunters anyway.

Nice, Finally a guy who understands the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guys dont get it, the point system isnt the end all answer to LEH problems.

pro 111
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
become a CO , or a fisheries officer they always seem to get drawn.

barry1974w
11-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Your right, you may never be drawn in a hunt with 2:1 odds. But you should be able to get a draw every couple of years. The enhanced odds system basically gives two numbers to everybody that hasn't drawn in the last three years, that's all. The lady you know is very, very lucky. That's all there is to it. It's just a lotto

BCLongshot
11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
As much as I understand the LEH frustration.........People need to understand really that it's usually where they apply that screws'em over.

We have GOS for everything pretty much. If u don't want to make it a priority than I guess your not to serious.

You know Oprah has been applying to be a Playboy centerfold since as long as I can remember but she's going about it the wrong way.

She's always complaining about it 2. :wink: :-D

budismyhorse
11-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Wrong!! With each year the odds don't change...so you could never get drawn on a LEH application even at 2:1 odds.

Enhanced odds?? A total joke, I personally know one lady who has drawn Bull Moose 7-10, four out of five consecutive years...which is proof to me that the enhanced odds system is seriously flawed as this should be practically impossible.

I "personally know" a fella who told everyone that would listen he got a moose draw year after year after year......turned out he had every relative on the planet putting in but they sure as heck weren't out there with him. They became "his draw".

so beware of those phoney "I get drawn every year" hunters....there is alot of BS out there.

I"m with 6616.......the priority system doesn't help us out in BC much (not withstanding Bison as bridger is mentioning-haven't looked into that).

Fisher-Dude
11-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Now, cut that out! Talking sensibly to these whiners isn't the answer! :mrgreen:

Conclusion from the LEH Review: it doesn't matter what type of draw is used, it will NOT create ANY more opportunity for ANY BC resident hunter. Period.

barry1974w
11-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Now, cut that out! Talking sensibly to these whiners isn't the answer! :mrgreen:

Conclusion from the LEH Review: it doesn't matter what type of draw is used, it will NOT create ANY more opportunity for ANY BC resident hunter. Period.

Well that seems to answer the question. Now they should start giving out a few 5 point or any bull tags on LEH during the GOS six point season, at least in some areas where a five point gene seems to be becoming dominant in the area. Some huge five point bulls breeding out there.

luckofthedraw
11-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Luckofthedraw is my name for a reason. Three years hunting, three years drawn. I like my odds :mrgreen:

11-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Well that seems to answer the question. Now they should start giving out a few 5 point or any bull tags on LEH during the GOS six point season, at least in some areas where a five point gene seems to be becoming dominant in the area. Some huge five point bulls breeding out there.

Sounds like you're talking about the East Kootenay elk...? Instead of a LEH, why not open up an any bull (or 3pt and better) GOS season for a week or two? This would allow harvest from all age classes of bulls creating a more natural situation. You're falling into the old trap that LEH is the only method for restricting a harvest, there are other tools that could/should be used first (season length),,,,,, equal opportunity for everyone.
LEH should be used only as a last resort.

dukester
11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
So I've been hunting now for 5 years, later in my life, but better late than never. Every year I have put in for LEH draws for moose and deer and so far have never been successful. I have heard of many others who have had the same experience, some with many more years under their belt than I. In some cases there are hunters who seem to be very lucky, getting draws on a regular basis. I know that the draw is equal odds for everyone every year, but wonder if there has been any thought given to increasing slightly the odds of unsuccessful hunters incrementally each year they do not get a draw. This would give these hunters some greater window of hope as they submitt their annual $6 cards to the Ministry.

Make any sense???

Peter
no it doesn't make sense. Here in Sask its on a pool status..C.B.A. SuperA. most(not all) draws are from Super A status if you follow the stats you can judge close to which year you will be drawn , #draws vrs # super A applicants. every 4-5 yrs you will be drawn fro that species.

bridger
11-03-2010, 09:13 PM
the leh systems no matter what province you are in all suck in my opinion as too many wildlife managers use it as a first option not the last. I support leh where it is needed for harvest sensitive populations but not a first option as is to often the case.

barry1974w
11-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like you're talking about the East Kootenay elk...? Instead of a LEH, why not open up an any bull (or 3pt and better) GOS season for a week or two? This would allow harvest from all age classes of bulls creating a more natural situation. You're falling into the old trap that LEH is the only method for restricting a harvest, there are other tools that could/should be used first (season length),,,,,, equal opportunity for everyone.
LEH should be used only as a last resort.

The only problem with a GOS is that it would be harder to control the number of animals taken and the crowds (my personal issue). If there was an open six point season, the "normal" number of hunters would be present, but a few guys would have a LEH tag in their pocket. Kinda like the moose season in seven A, everybody can hunt moose, but only a few guys have any bull draws. I went for the any bull season in 6-01 once.....Wow. Maybe it's just me but having that many people around just wrecks the hunt for me. I know, I know, get farther back, go where other people don't ect,ect. I realize that you're always going to run into other people and most of the time I like stopping to have a quick bull shit if I'm on the road and I wave pretty much everybody into my camp for a coffee if they drive by. But I don't like combat hunting, people start to forget their ethics when there's people everywhere. Just my .02 little rant.

barry1974w
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
no it doesn't make sense. Here in Sask its on a pool status..C.B.A. SuperA. most(not all) draws are from Super A status if you follow the stats you can judge close to which year you will be drawn , #draws vrs # super A applicants. every 4-5 yrs you will be drawn fro that species.

How many of those superA tags have 650 people applying for each one? How long does it take to draw those tags?

SUAFOYT
11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
SInce the same LEH topics keep coming up over and over ad nauseam, I decided to sticky the LEH thread we had some time back. It answers many of the questions posed on this and every other LEH thread...

Here it is

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11203

Thank you for remembering that. It's very timely. Since John Thornton retired this last spring I and my family got 4 LEH's:mrgreen:

11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
The only problem with a GOS is that it would be harder to control the number of animals taken.

Depends what herd you're talking about, the EK herd is certainly capable of sustaining a 1 week 3pt GOS, it's just that the EK hunters are not socially ready to accept it. I suspect the Peace could sustain a short 3pt GOS as well, but I don't know about Region 8 or 7a, there are much smaller herds in those areas. Also, one has to consider that severe winterkill loses occur much more frequently in the Peace than in the EK.

The thing about a GOS when you have a large elk herd is that even a significant bull overharvest is not a huge concern if the harvest is reduced the next year to compensate, one needs to be more careful with cows.

Length of season can and does limit the harvest to desired levels, not as exacting as LEH I agree, but it's much easier to initiate and much cheaper than LEH to administrate.

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
There was gonna be a million hunters blasting every cow elk out of the EK this year too. And killing every WT doe. And slamming every dink MD buck.

Now that the seasons are done, and only a few had success, I can say: "So much for Slaughter Theories." 8-)

Kody94
11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
There was gonna be a million hunters blasting every cow elk out of the EK this year too. And killing every WT doe. And slamming every dink MD buck.

Now that the seasons are done, and only a few had success, I can say: "So much for Slaughter Theories." 8-)

In a few weeks I should start posting pictures and videos of all the elk and whiteys that come out of the "woodwork", so to speak.

I am looking forward to hearing an estimate on the number of elk cows taken. I don't think it will be enough to achieve objectives, but its harder to say right now (they can be pretty elusive when they figure out they ain't safe!).

As far as the whitey does go, I don't need to see numbers....we didn't even make a dent. It seems like they are still hiding behind every bush. :)

sawmill
11-04-2010, 02:14 PM

HaHaHa:mrgreen:
I`ve never seen so few guys in the bush here until this year.
I thought for sure with the GOS cow elk this place would be a mad house!"Away Hunters"
To the contrary,a nice quiet fall,some ,but not many hunters,mostly local.
It certainly was NOT a slaughter.Far from it.I got what I needed and some friends did too but a lot of guys didn`t get a cow or an antlerless whitie.Not knowing where to go...too lazy to get out?
Maybe they need to have my wife,she made me go out TWICE on a work night,we scored both times.
The season for that is over now and I doubt it made even the tiniest dent in the herds.
Winter is gonna get them unfortunatly:icon_frow