PDA

View Full Version : Drive throught hunters

Peter
10-29-2010, 08:46 PM
No Limited Entry draws this year, 45 separate trips out, one miss on the only opportunity of the season and so what do I have to complain about!!!??? Well the walk is always a pleasure and I'm told many have more misses than hits. As for the LEH, that is the topic of another post. What I'm a bit aggrivated about though, is the "drive through" hunter. Now I'm relatively new to this game (a 5 year "veteran") but I believe there are certain etiquettes in hunting. I'm thinking that first come, first served and safety are quite fundamental to our past time. So I was astounded when on several times this season I had hunters in vehicles drive right through me as I was hunting on back roads in the Cariboo. I mean, I was walking down the middle of the road (very early morning on a couple of occasions) when these guys drove through with hellos and comments to the effect that they were looking for game down the road.....WELL EXCUSE ME-SO WAS I!!!! I was so astounded that I had little time to comment before they had moved on. Not only do these guys seem to miss the "I was here first" idea they also disregard the fact that they are now driving into my line of fire-not particularly safe. In each instance I turned around in disgust and went to another area. One morning the SAME guy drove through me on the road twice- I did give him an earfull which I don't think he heard. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but when I'm trying to quietly go into an area on foot I don't feel it is right for someone to blow on by so they can get in on the game before I do. I know it's not wise to get into "animated" discussions out in the bush, but hope some agitation on this blog may give cause for those offenders (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) to be a bit more thoughtful to their fellow hunters. Let me know if you think I am off base regarding this issue.

Peter

mark
10-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Laughing my ass off here! Roads are built for vehicles, if your on one, expect to see them often!
Try walking off the road, way less vehicles!

Gun Dog
10-29-2010, 08:55 PM
If you want privacy, buy a ranch. I like to walk trails, deactivated roads, and dead end roads but I have no claim on roads that go on and on.

Steeleco
10-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I no longer worry about things like this. Twice this year alone, I've passed people on the way out of an area. On both occasions they stopped to chat, the gist was "good luck guys, there's nothing in there!" Only to see game, and on one occasion my son got a brute of a mulie.

Safe as to say, there's one less in there!!!

Many people drive by lots of animals, hell I've done it. But so long as they don't stop, the animals seldom care, you'll get them walking if they're there to be had.

ruger#1
10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
I have shot deer when trucks drive by me on the road. They seem to walk out to see what went by. I also agree with Mark. Hunting them off of the road is better and you don't have to choke on the dust.

GRIZZEZE
10-29-2010, 09:00 PM
where there is a road there will be trucks, go in the bush or a road closed area and there will be game

Everett
10-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Laughing my ass off here! Roads are built for vehicles, if your on one, expect to see them often!

Wow well said. Op get off the road thats were the trucks are.

doubled
10-29-2010, 09:12 PM

X2 - no offense.

coach
10-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Yup - you are totally off base on this issue. You've made the effort to walk. Why do you feel the need to walk down the road? Pick a different direction and you won't have to compete with vehicles. That being said, if you feel the need to walk down a road and someone passes you in a vehicle, don't worry about it. Animals will show themselves when they feel it's safe. I have a friend who has shot two deer in his life that he spotted in his rear view mirror. In other words: he was road hunting, missed seeing bucks that were standing just off the road and they decided to cross seconds after he drove by. Don't let vehicles bother you. Use them to your advantage. Please don't expect any sympathy from anyone for complaining that vehicles shouldn't use roads that you are walking on.:?

Kirby
10-29-2010, 09:18 PM

X3 get your ass off the road if you don't wanna see trucks.

coach
10-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Actually, Kirby, you were x4 cause I agreed with Mark too. :mrgreen:

Gateholio
10-29-2010, 09:20 PM

hahhaha no shiat:-D

peashooter
10-29-2010, 10:42 PM
you worm. go stir up shiat on some other site. all 2 of your posts are a joke.

mud-dog27
10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
wow talk about makin friends quick, L.M.F.A.O [<seriously thats censored] i knew exaclty where this was goin and as much as i try to leave the other guy to an area if they were there first just cause your walkin down a road doesnt mean you own it, hell ive past other guys and asked em where they were goin and they have given me first choice only to have me drive 5min down the road and drop a buck its just the way she goes ya dont wanna deal with vehicles do like the other anti-road hunters and start walkin....into the bush instead of down the road

muledeercrazy
10-29-2010, 11:21 PM
you worm. go stir up shiat on some other site. all 2 of your posts are a joke.

what? his post was a little off base but definitly not enough to call him a worm.

ChilliwackWinchester
10-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Not only do these guys seem to miss the "I was here first" idea they also disregard the fact that they are now driving into my line of fire-not particularly safe.

So a vehicle on a road is in danger of being in your line of fire?... your doin it wrong!

budismyhorse
10-30-2010, 12:49 AM
walking the roads is no way to hunt fella. Walk a ridge or something to that effect. You'd be surprised how few vehicles will "blow by you".

.....or is your post sarcastic?

muledeercrazy
10-30-2010, 12:56 AM
this is something that actually really depends on the situation. If I parked my truck at the start of a road that i knew to end in about a km (that had a good trail at the end of it that i intended to follow)and someone came driving down the road right at first light does it depend on whats going on? Maybe the guy doesnt plan on getting out and walking at all, and knows the road is about to end but drives down anyways. That would be ignorant.

If the road goes for miles then you can't expect everyone to turn around, but alot of the time it is the right thing to do.

Gateholio
10-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Your "line of fire" changes when a truck is in front of it.:-D

Get off the road, dude:wink:

butthead
10-30-2010, 05:31 AM
its a doggy dog world

Walksalot
10-30-2010, 05:33 AM
I think we need radio equipped flag persons posted on every back road. This way when a hunter is walking the road they stop the traffic until that hunter either finishes hunting that stretch of road or bags an animal. Seriously though, according to the ROAD HUNTERS BOOK OF ETIQUETTE, "when happening upon a hunter walking a road the polite thing to do is return to the nearest pull off and wait there for the customary 4 hours". Carrying a soccer ball is a good idea as when enough hunters are congregated one can create a rough Pitch and have a bit of a match.

Peter
10-30-2010, 09:10 AM
To be clear, I'm not talking about walking down a country road when I take issue with these drive throughs. I'm talking about walking down rough logging roads, generally spur roads in defined dead-end cut blocks. I'm not sure what others do, but when I see a truck parked in the entry to a road or trail or when I come across a hunter hunting ahead of me, I turn around and seek other terrritory. This seems to be the courteous and safe thing to do.

Peter

laredo318
10-30-2010, 09:19 AM
what? his post was a little off base but definitly not enough to call him a worm.

What he said....X2

KB90
10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
To be clear, I'm not talking about walking down a country road when I take issue with these drive throughs. I'm talking about walking down rough logging roads, generally spur roads in defined dead-end cut blocks. I'm not sure what others do, but when I see a truck parked in the entry to a road or trail or when I come across a hunter hunting ahead of me, I turn around and seek other terrritory. This seems to be the courteous and safe thing to do.

Peter

Spur roads rough or not are still roads. And a cut block can be a big area. This problem is a simple one. You don't have any right to any road regardless of where you parked or how long/rough the road is. If you want to be alone get away from the roads.

Old Crow
10-30-2010, 09:29 AM
I love this time of year..unsuccesful hunters out to point blame at they're inability to put one in the freezer."The weather wasnt right","Area is full of Wolves", " Damn Natives" and now"Fricken Road hunters":mrgreen:

BromBones
10-30-2010, 09:30 AM
I've heard some whining on here before, but this guy takes the cake.

Unreal.

frenchbar
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/worst_thread_ever.jpg

Tenacious Billy
10-30-2010, 09:40 AM
I can understand if you're walking down "what you think" is an old, relatively un-used road for a morning or evening hunt and then being dissapointed, if and when someone else drives by you......the area you thought you had to yourself, well, you don't. Not much you can do about that - can't really get upset with the Bubba that's too lazy to get out of his truck and walk, he's got every right to be there too. All you can do is find somewhere that Bubba can't drive to and hope that someone else hasn't found it already. I'm thankful for guys that hunt from the cab of their truck, it keeps a little pressure of the spots that aren't so easy to access.

dog812
10-30-2010, 10:06 AM
I understand what your saying.. but..
I got into 4x4'ing way before hunting, so my truck i take out is really capable of riding even the most un walkable road. So i will try to get deeper and more off the beaten trail with it as far as i can , then walk..

cainer
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
You'd be surprised how many deer just stand still and watch the vehicles drive right by them-witnessed it first hand. Then the deer proceed to cross the road after they watch the truck drive off in the distance. with the animal's attention on the vehicle driving away, do you think they're going to notice you quietly walking down the road?

best off to be in the bush anyways-and if you're walking-why not walk off the road?

GoatGuy
10-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Road hunting can include being on a pedal bike, quad, dirtbike, on foot, skis, snowmobile, trike, pick-up, suv, car and on foot even in running shoes, cowboy boots or sandals.

All methods have one thing in common and that is that they're conducted on a road.

To avoid road hunters simply hunt off the road. :wink:

hunterlaura
10-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I can't believe the amount of assholes on here - wow. Your shit sure doesn't stink eh. When we were on our buffalo hunt, we came to this spot where we were following tracks. A ways in the trail, I saw a bow hunter crouched down in the bush. He said his 2 buddies were coming towards us to bring the herd this way. Dick move = keep on walking.....courteous move = turn the hell around. They bagged their 3 buffalo by bow, we got ours the next day. They thought we were the nicest thing since sliced bread. Must be because of the amount of jerks in the bush.

bigmuley
10-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I Agree with you there are so many people out there today. Today for instance we had a big muley buck spooked on a low ridge so he was going higher up this sort of mountainy cut area anyways partner went from the bottom to push him up and as i was going up on a quad a guy in a truck saw me and flipped a nut and went to the top of the ridge( pretty sure he saw my buddy) and he stopped at teh top of the ridge and started looking for teh deer and i was like what are you doing and he simply flipped me the bird and i went down and got my buddy. And then later in the day hes on a road to the side of the main road like way off and hes yelling for us to stop and we stop and he tells us theres a deer up there and if we drive any further we might spook it when we couldnt even see it and we were on a main logging road. I really just dont understand some people and again later in the day he blocks us in a road like pull of the road so we can get by. He got a earful beleive me. Cheers

west250
10-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Peter

If you're on a spur road and it's relatively short (you can hunt the whole thing in an hour or two), park in the middle of the road (only if you're sure of the area and sure that no one else is in there before you). If the road goes somewhere, park off to the side so others can get by and look for some bush to hunt. The roads are mostly full of fat boys hunting the mainlines so use your boots and get into the spots where the animals like to hide. They're usually 2 valleys over, in some nasty little spot!

deer nut
10-30-2010, 08:56 PM
They have a right to drive the road. Sucks they blew your stalk but as others have said, if you don't like seeing other hunters, get off the road.

curt
10-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I hear where you are coming from however there are many hunters that never leave their trucks. If i go into an area by vehicle or foot and see anyone i leave right away they were there first they can have it. There is plenty of bush to go around, but not everyone does things that way. Reality says if you want your own quiet little peice of gods country then you are going to have to get in off the rd some and claim it!!! Like many have said here all ready people drive by game all the time you can shoot game minutes if not seconds after vehicles go crashing through. Walk that rd you like just walk it 200yrds in the bush thats where the game hangs out lots anyway!!!good luck and thanks for showing a very generous attitude out there!!:)

Barracuda
10-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Parking in the middle of the road to block another persons access is as classless as it comes.
It is a disgusting practice done by small people that have no right to share the woods with decent folks

Its no wonder that hunters have such bad reputations with BS like this going on.

If some POS jackass tries to blockade the road i am simply gonna go by to get to where i need to (which could be a blind where my partner is waiting at the end of the clear cut ).

discuss:mrgreen:

tash
10-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Yep, parking in the middle of the road is not at all the way to go.

The only time we've ever done that is when we've gotten ourselves further up into the snow than we should have and didn't dare try to park off the road....spur road though, and we were keeping an eye out for other trucks....

I've also heard of folks falling trees across roads to keep others out....but then that just makes me want to haul the tree off and go check out the area!

I really appreciate it when other hunters see my truck parked near the entrance of a cutblock, and keep on driving...so I make sure to do the same....and if I drive into a cut or onto a landing and realize that someone is already there, I leave.

budismyhorse
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I can't believe the amount of assholes on here - wow. Your shit sure doesn't stink eh. When we were on our buffalo hunt, we came to this spot where we were following tracks. A ways in the trail, I saw a bow hunter crouched down in the bush. He said his 2 buddies were coming towards us to bring the herd this way. Dick move = keep on walking.....courteous move = turn the hell around. They bagged their 3 buffalo by bow, we got ours the next day. They thought we were the nicest thing since sliced bread. Must be because of the amount of jerks in the bush.

incredibly different situation.........re-read the original post.

hunterlaura
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
incredibly different situation.........re-read the original post.

Just saying - I thought it was a courteous thing to do if someone was already there first.

11-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I aggree with every one here,
But in a bit more polite way.
I turn around when i see people. But you should not expect everyone to do that. The only way you will not see a truck for sure is to get off the road. It will make your hunt better because you wont get pissed off at the dork that just drove past you. Simple solution. And if you need to walk down a road to get to your spot, do it early. These are the things we do to make sure our hunts are satisfying. Dont waste you time being mad at them just go away!

Hank Hunter
11-01-2010, 09:07 AM
The nerve of some people, driving their vehicle on a road.

elkdom
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
The nerve of some people, driving their vehicle on a road.

yes, isnt it amazing how many people , walk along a "road" while hunting, then have the audacity to complain about someone else, driving along that very same road while hunting???? WTF !!!:confused:

what a daily procedure for some seems to be is a daily thread, sounding more like a "Somebody Did Me Wrong Song" on some insignificant "Hill-Billy AM Radio Station",,,,,,,,,,

if they are not COMPLAINING they are SPOONING ,,,,,,,

kodimack
11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Go where the trucks don't , I like to start where they all turn around and leave .You will see alot more .

Mikey Rafiki
11-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Roads take up less than 1% of the great outdoors. I will stick to the other 99%.

BCLongshot
11-01-2010, 01:19 PM

I agree totally.

The fact that people start a thread bitching about this is even crazier !

RayHill
11-01-2010, 02:09 PM
No Limited Entry draws this year, 45 separate trips out, one miss on the only opportunity of the season and so what do I have to complain about!!!??? Well the walk is always a pleasure and I'm told many have more misses than hits. As for the LEH, that is the topic of another post. What I'm a bit aggrivated about though, is the "drive through" hunter. Now I'm relatively new to this game (a 5 year "veteran") but I believe there are certain etiquettes in hunting. I'm thinking that first come, first served and safety are quite fundamental to our past time. So I was astounded when on several times this season I had hunters in vehicles drive right through me as I was hunting on back roads in the Cariboo. I mean, I was walking down the middle of the road (very early morning on a couple of occasions) when these guys drove through with hellos and comments to the effect that they were looking for game down the road.....WELL EXCUSE ME-SO WAS I!!!! I was so astounded that I had little time to comment before they had moved on. Not only do these guys seem to miss the "I was here first" idea they also disregard the fact that they are now driving into my line of fire-not particularly safe. In each instance I turned around in disgust and went to another area. One morning the SAME guy drove through me on the road twice- I did give him an earfull which I don't think he heard. Perhaps I'm being too picky, but when I'm trying to quietly go into an area on foot I don't feel it is right for someone to blow on by so they can get in on the game before I do. I know it's not wise to get into "animated" discussions out in the bush, but hope some agitation on this blog may give cause for those offenders (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) to be a bit more thoughtful to their fellow hunters. Let me know if you think I am off base regarding this issue.

Peter

This happens to me all the time. I walk in always. I go to gated closed roads, sleep in my truck. I get up at 5am start walking in, half way up to my honey hole I hear the roar of a truck bombing up behind me. It's the forestry guys out for a weekend hunt in there own private gated hunting grounds. I looked at them as they ripped on by me in all their road hunting camo suits and shook my head, unbelievable. If it's gated you walk in to hunt just like everyone else. Otherwise the gates must come down?

BlackBear
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I think it is best not to take anything too seriously unless there are significant safety concerns. When I am walking on a narrow overgrown road and a vehicle drives down the road, I will likely be annoyed. At times, I may find it humorous (i.e., the numerous scratches left on the truck by branches). However, if it's a road, I should expect to see vehicles. I think it is best to maintain some perspective about it. While there are many reasons to be upset, at the end of the day, I don't hunt to be frustrated and upset by the actions of other people.